• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Budgie Questions

pigeoncat

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I've just gotten two budgies a week ago and I am brand new to the species (Also to birds in general) so I have a few questions.

One is for when to start the taming process. Since I've only had mine for a week and most taming guides say that you should give them at least two weeks to get used to their surroundings but I had originally gotten one from my brother who had him for a week previously and the budgie seems pretty comfortable in the cage while my other one is still getting there. So I was wondering if I could start the taming process on him now or to still give him some time? Also when you go to start, what is the best way to start? I'm very nerous about making them uncomfortable in any way < : (

The next question is while one of the budgies is for sure male, my other one is a little unknown (They have a light blue cere and when I first got them I thought that signified male but I believe I saw something that said young budgies with light blue ceres are in fact female) and the two seem to get along quite nicely but they also have times where the male will annoy the other to the point where they'll start flapping their wings angrily and purposely shove him off the perch, this in turn gets the male annoyed and he'll angrily fly around the cage. But other then that they dont have any issues and I was wondering if that was normal behavior or if they should be separated

Thanks in advance!!!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi @pigeoncat and a big :welcome2: :howdy: to the forum!

I too read that you should let your birds settle in before trying to socialize with them, but it does seem that every bird is different, so usually here people will say to let your bird set the pace - if they seem uncomfortable, don't force it, if they seem comfortable - go ahead!

the two seem to get along quite nicely but they also have times where the male will annoy the other to the point where they'll start flapping their wings angrily and purposely shove him off the perch
Oh boy, does this sound like what my Fiona does to Fergus ALL the time! The females can be VERY bossy! So can you post photos of your two so that we can see their ceres? Best done in natural bright light.

Also, you can use the search feature here at AA to find articles - just put in 'taming Budgies', and lots of threads will come up!

One thing I always try to remember to tell new bird folks is that Budgies will hull their seed, and the dish can be full of hulls and look full - but it's only EMPTY hulls! So - fresh seed and water daily.

pigeoncat

Checking out the neighborhood
Oh, thank you so much! They seem relatively comfortable in my presence until I start doing the daily things for them (like change food/water) then they'll just sit in place and be silent which is understandable behavior!

Also here's some pics of Finn (the unknown budgie), if you need any clearer ones just let me know!
20200504_153929.jpg 20200504_211859.jpg

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh, thank you so much! They seem relatively comfortable in my presence until I start doing the daily things for them (like change food/water) then they'll just sit in place and be silent which is understandable behavior!

Also here's some pics of Finn (the unknown budgie), if you need any clearer ones just let me know!
View attachment 337808 View attachment 337810
She looks like a female to me, but I not entirely sure.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you are nervous that feeling will be transferred to the birds. I suggest you calm yourself down before working with a bird.

It is not so easy to sex a young budgie because by the first molt the cere coloring will change. You may want to wait on this depending upon how young they are.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
For sure they are all cuties, thanks for sharing the pics! Young females will have a light blue cere (fleshy part above the beak), with white rings around the nares (nostrils). I meant to say, I think it's normal for it to look like they are having little squabbles, and partly from my experience this is the way they play. As long as one is not attacking another, all should be good. More photos of Finn would be helpful, yes - ;) (plus we just all love to see photos!)