• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird to put with budgie

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows any good cage mates for a budgie? He is quite energetic and social and definitely needs a cage mate as he adores other birds, I’ve had to seperate him from my other budgies because they weren’t getting along well, they’d squabble and the other budgies didn’t like him. I would get him another budgie friend but oddly enough he really doesn’t like other budgies, every time I’ve tried to put him with different budgies he doesn’t enjoy it, but when he was with my cockatiels he absolutely adored them, but since he’s left their cage they’ve started getting nippy and aggressive towards him, even though all he wants to do is play with them. Any suggestions of birds budgies get along with would be great.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A new budgie?
It could be he just didn´t like the budgies you have now, or they had formed their own flock and didn´t want any new members.
Ultimately, he won´t be safe with any other species in his cage, so you couldn´t buy a different species to house with him anyway.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
A new budgie?
It could be he just didn´t like the budgies you have now, or they had formed their own flock and didn´t want any new members.
Ultimately, he won´t be safe with any other species in his cage, so you couldn´t buy a different species to house with him anyway.
Hi, thank you for the reply. You’re most likely right about the other budgies not wanting a new flock member, I was thinking about putting the budgie in with my female tiel, and removing the male as the female tiel and the budgie got along really well, as he was with her as a baby and she was kind of like a mother to him, and she isn’t the one being aggressive to him it’s the male. The problem is that she is obsessed with my male tiel, though they aren’t a pair because he completely ignores her. It’s like a bird love triangle lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would not recommend housing a cockatiel with a budgie.

she is obsessed with my male tiel, though they aren’t a pair because he completely ignores her
I had two lovebirds like that. They lived in separate cages and over time she managed to win his heart I guess. They now live together and he´s very protective of her, and attentive to her.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe if you post photos of the budgies in question - the one who needs a friend + the rejected friends, some of the budgie gender experts can help you determine why the various combos didn't work. A lot of budgie dynamics seem to come down to gender & there's a lot of confusion about it. My two were sold to me as male & female; they're actually both males.

Reactions: tka