• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird owner here- Leg banding?

Mowgli

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!

I recently purchased an IRN and he did not come with a leg band. I've been trying to do research on this, but haven't found much out. In what states are the bands required? We live in Ohio and will be moving to Oregon. What do I do if he is required to have one, but doesn't?

Thank you!

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I believe leg bands are mostly used by breeders and on imported birds. I know for a fact by imported birds to ensure they are approved safe to import. From what I read, they are used by breeders to ID each bird and to basically keep track of hatch date and what clutch they came from. Basically like a microchip. I don't think there's any requirements for leg bands anywhere unless the bird is an imported bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My understanding is that no state requires leg bands.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your bird does not need a band. It's nothing but a safety hazard. First thing I would do with a bird that had a band was cut it off. Nobody needs an ankle shackle. There's no standard for what goes on a band or any registry that tracks the information so the info on the band is basically useless.