• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Behavior Question

NoelleMartin

Meeting neighbors
I've had my African Grey (Poncho) for a week now. He has been in my family for 18 years. Every morning and when I get home from work I approach his cage, put my finger in and talk to him. He does a little dance, and then grabs a hold of my finger and holds it. He puts his head down for a head scratch. Last night he started rubbing his beak on my thumb while holding my finger. This morning was different. He grabbed my finger and was rubbing his beak on my thumb but started making a panting noise while bobbing his head. He sounded like a dog. I got really freaked thinking maybe he couldn't breathe or something. I decided to walk away and see if he would continue the panting which he didn't. When I came back, stuck my finger in he started doing it again.
Is this normal? I've been so worried about him being stressed and doing well that every little new thing he does worries me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Yes sorry. It took a minute to find it. In general you do not want to encourage that behavior. Have a toy ready for distraction or be ready to move him to his perch or something in order to “break up the mood.”
:hug8:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Like everyone else said, hormonal behavior. Sounds like he was getting ready to regurgitate for you. Not something you necessarily want to encourage but it’s normal. Try to redirect his attention to toys or training when he gets too worked up.