• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New babies

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh he's such a handsome boy. I'm sorry that your friend is having such a rought time with things but that's wonderful that you've been able to take him in and give him a wonderful home and a mate and that your friend won't have to stress and worry about where he ends up. I absolutely love his name as well :heart:
It means a lot that she thought of me first to give him a good home. These things all come back around in a circle. A few years ago a customer from the store offered me a miligold macaw. He had been her husband's but he had passed away. The bird didn't really care for her but seemed to understand she was part of the package and now that his human was gone she was there to take care of him. He was beautiful, but not interested in me. Not aggressive, but uninterested. I set up a meeting between the miligold's owner and my friend who I got Sir Lancelot from. It was love at first sight and he went home with her. He's blind in one eye, and she has vision problems of her own. He instinctively knows how to interact with her. She told me that after she lost her female green wing, the miligold managed to get down off of his tree and find her wherever she was in the house that night. He flew into her lap and sat with her as she cried.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It means a lot that she thought of me first to give him a good home. These things all come back around in a circle. A few years ago a customer from the store offered me a miligold macaw. He had been her husband's but he had passed away. The bird didn't really care for her but seemed to understand she was part of the package and now that his human was gone she was there to take care of him. He was beautiful, but not interested in me. Not aggressive, but uninterested. I set up a meeting between the miligold's owner and my friend who I got Sir Lancelot from. It was love at first sight and he went home with her. He's blind in one eye, and she has vision problems of her own. He instinctively knows how to interact with her. She told me that after she lost her female green wing, the miligold managed to get down off of his tree and find her wherever she was in the house that night. He flew into her lap and sat with her as she cried.
Oh my goodness it was absolutely ment to be that he found his home with her. The fact he sought her out and sat with and comforted her speaks such volumes to the bond they share.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
I’m sure his feathers will improve in no time!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Electra has laid again. I haven’t checked the cameras that much lately because life has been so busy. They can’t hear anything when I view it so I’m not worried about disturbing them. I took a peak and just happened to catch her climbing up to the entrance. There are two eggs in the box.

8773F1B5-14CE-4DE7-A9F2-A926150DE4BB.jpeg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
It's a lot of work and I only get a day off when I'm out of town on vacation. Even being sick last week, I still had to get up and do the basics for them. Food, veggies, water, sweep the floor, etc. The store adds more to that, but it's a different kind of work. Early 20's adults who have a work ethic some days and other days they don't. I have to walk a thin line between being a friend and mentor to them and being their boss. I was that age once, a very long time ago, but I remember navigating the challenges of personal independence and responsibility. At least the birds are predictable from one day to the next, and they make it all worthwhile.
Yes, I remember losing a bird once [on my watch], at the bird store I worked at... when I didn't catch it's illness in time... birds hide it so well...

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm taking Damon to the vet today. He's been eating like he's starving, but he's also going through periods where he acts fine and other times where he seems uncoordinated and clumsy. I was finally able to feel his chest and he didn't seem thin, so I don't know if his nutrition is off or just different from the other pair. All of them eat the same diet but none of the others are showing the same symptoms. We have a pair that comes into the store for boarding once in a while and the male and female have different needs. The male cannot eat corn, but the female can. The male starts toe-tapping if he eats it and she doesn't. Their diet is a constant balancing act and I just want him to have a good review to see if it's him, or something I need to change about his diet.