• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Precious :heart2::heart: Could I ask do you sell to the public? If so can you give me your information I’m trying to find some breeders.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Your friend sounds very skilled to have resolved that crop issue! And I agree: those macaws are gossiping. :roflmao:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I have a house full of angry birds. After we pulled the baby red-fronted we started the great cage swap. I moved BooBoo and Natcho down and moved Victor and Valentina forward in the bird room. BooBoo had a view into the kitchen and he's a nosy bird. When he sees someone he doesn't know, he starts to scream, and he will do it until they leave. It gets old really quick so moving him down blocks his view into the kitchen. Victor and Valentina don't seem to care what goes on in the kitchen so they won't start carrying on when people come to visit babies. We pulled the double macaw cage from the garage and put Chewie in one side and Poppy in the other. The red-fronted macaws went into the cage that Chewie was in and I broke down their flight cage. It was easier than trying to find some metal to cover the entrance to their nest box. The red-fronted male is not happy with me and keeps showing me his backside through the window. My back is as angry as the birds are so I'm going to go find some pain relief and a good book before I try to get some sleep. Have a great weekend.

IMG_7119.jpeg

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Hope they settle down over the next few days for you.
Hoping you have a relaxing pain-free weekend.:sadhug2:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you and yours get some rest!

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Who knew that balls of flesh could be so adorable!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Precious :heart2::heart: Could I ask do you sell to the public? If so can you give me your information I’m trying to find some breeders.
I do sell babies to the public. I currently have a waiting list for almost everything I breed.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie has figured out how to open a side food dish and let himself out, then he opened Poppy's door. I went by the sliding glass door and discovered both of them sitting on top of the double cage. At least they both step up for me and I didn't have to fight anyone to get back in their cage. Chewie gave me so much attitude over the double cage and less than a week later he's inviting the neighbor over to hang out with him. They are going to be double trouble for sure.

IMG_7170.jpeg

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks so proud of himself.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Chewie has figured out how to open a side food dish and let himself out, then he opened Poppy's door. I went by the sliding glass door and discovered both of them sitting on top of the double cage. At least they both step up for me and I didn't have to fight anyone to get back in their cage. Chewie gave me so much attitude over the double cage and less than a week later he's inviting the neighbor over to hang out with him. They are going to be double trouble for sure.

View attachment 413111
Ohhh they are such beautiful escape artists! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

View attachment 413111
In his first two weeks at my house, Michael figured out how to open the main door to his King's 506 cage and the feeder doors. What has worked very well for me for well over a decade has been to use Expandable Habitats toy hangers (the large ones with the acrylic balls) and stainless steel chains. I have one chain wrapped around where the front door closes and sealed with one of these hangers, and another chain spanning the side of the cage with the feeder doors with the chain pulled taut and one hanger on each side. It is very effective and in case of an emergency it is quick and easy for any adult human to remove to get Michael out of his cage in a hurry.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
In his first two weeks at my house, Michael figured out how to open the main door to his King's 506 cage and the feeder doors. What has worked very well for me for well over a decade has been to use Expandable Habitats toy hangers (the large ones with the acrylic balls) and stainless steel chains. I have one chain wrapped around where the front door closes and sealed with one of these hangers, and another chain spanning the side of the cage with the feeder doors with the chain pulled taut and one hanger on each side. It is very effective and in case of an emergency it is quick and easy for any adult human to remove to get Michael out of his cage in a hurry.
That's a good idea. I picked up some hook magnets to put on the feeder doors. The double macaw cage is an older one that has metal disks that you just rotate to open the door. I'm hoping with the magnet on the door holding it to the frame he won't be able to budge it even if he can move the disk up and out of the way. He's never been interested in putting his feet outside of the cage so I'm not sure if he will figure out how to open his own door from the inside. If he wants to be difficult about it, then I have two macaw cages that I'll put in the space and they can each go back into their own. At least they weren't fighting while they were out, and it's a good thing I was home at the time. The last time Chewie got out Felix just opened the door to the cage and he went back inside on his own. Felix is afraid of them and they know it so getting them both back in on his own would have been difficult.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That's a good idea. I picked up some hook magnets to put on the feeder doors. The double macaw cage is an older one that has metal disks that you just rotate to open the door. I'm hoping with the magnet on the door holding it to the frame he won't be able to budge it even if he can move the disk up and out of the way. He's never been interested in putting his feet outside of the cage so I'm not sure if he will figure out how to open his own door from the inside. If he wants to be difficult about it, then I have two macaw cages that I'll put in the space and they can each go back into their own. At least they weren't fighting while they were out, and it's a good thing I was home at the time. The last time Chewie got out Felix just opened the door to the cage and he went back inside on his own. Felix is afraid of them and they know it so getting them both back in on his own would have been difficult.
Mine is also an old cage that has a metal triangle that swings to open the feeder doors, but Michael very quickly figured it out. From experience with Michael and a number of other birds in the past, once they figure out how to get out on their own they will keep trying to do so.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Zelda has laid again. Both she and Zachary have been really aggressive the last few weeks. Last week she disappeared into the nest box and aside from sticking her head out when I'm feeding them, she hasn't come out for anything. This would be her fall clutch, so I'm not sure what to expect this time. The harlequins have been aggressive too, but they aren't holed up in the nest box yet. I was hoping to be done with babies, but they have other ideas in mind for me. I'm taking 4 birds to the vet today for wellness checks and microchips, and the first of the red-fronted macaws goes home this afternoon. The others will start going home soon.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The first one of my babies went home today. Everyone was well behaved at the vets office during their exam until it came time to get the microchips implanted. Ivy's new momma was waiting for us when we got home and now she's off on a new adventure. Next Thursday I'm taking another 4 birds to the vet for exams and chips. The others will start going home soon and then I'll have at least a little less noise in the house.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
There was someone who was in line for Diego due to his slightly bent beak she wouldn't make a decision and commit to him. I finally told her that he is now 90 days old and I need a decision or I would move to the next person in line. He's at the age where he needs to be socialized with his forever family so he isn't traumatized when he leaves our home. Her family was pressuring her to only get a bird that is perfect and the beak was too much of an issue for her so she finally decided to pass on him.

The couple that has Ivy has chosen to add Diego to their flock. They come to visit and spend time with both babies, but Diego seems to gravitate toward them and as soon as one of them picks him up, he settles and relaxes into their arms. Within a few minutes, he falls asleep. They have named him Enzo, which happens to be the middle name of my youngest grandchild. Sounds like a good fit for me.

IMG_7195.jpeg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does sound like a good fit! Such great news.