• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Actually starting to look like a macaw now! Perhaps they sat weird in the egg during development to get that crooked beak? My only other guess is a nutritional deficiency, whether or not it's current or during the egg stage from the mother. Thankfully its quite mild!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Freya, now named Gidget, came in for a beak and nail trim yesterday. She stepped up for me and sat on my shoulder for a few minutes. It's nice to see my baby girl all grown up. I showed her pictures of her siblings, but she wasn't impressed.

IMG_6807 2.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She's a magnificent Greenwung.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One red-fronted macaw is still pending, but 3 out of 4 are girls, and the older baby green wing is a boy.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
She is so pretty :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had a nice long weekend getaway and now we're back at it. The babies are growing like crazy. The older green wing that we've been calling Diego has a slightly twisted beak, but I don't think it will be a big problem. He's going to the vet for a checkup on Monday so we'll get the vet's opinion on it then. The little one is now 15 days old and weighing in at a whole 60 grams. The red-fronted macaws DNA tested as 3 girls and 1 boy. They are already picking at chop and other hard foods. I think they are all going to wean far earlier than I anticipated.

IMG_6933.jpeg
IMG_6940.jpeg

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Love babies season :laughing12:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Four baby red-fronted macaws. The second clutch has started hatching. I'm going to be overrun with baby red-fronted before too long.
They are beyond precious! One of my favorite Macaw species :heart:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Diego is 68 days old today. I haven't weighed him in a while, but he's growing like crazy. I reached out to the person that was interested in him to see if that is still the case. If not, someone else on my list will fall in love with him. Two pictures below show the bend in his beak. It looks much bigger when his beak is open, but when closed it is very slight.

We've found homes for two of the baby red-fronted macaws. There is a lot of interest in the others, but we're just waiting for people to make up their minds. I've made it clear to them that only a deposit will hold the bird and if they wait too long the opportunity will pass them by. I checked the nest box on Sunday and two chicks have hatched out of the 4 eggs that were laid. With their high fertility rate, we may end up with all 4 eggs hatching. That will keep us busy raising babies until November.

I was reading a blog about raising baby macaws and it stated that in her experience, each baby was hand fed roughly 600 times between hatching or coming out of the nest and the final feeding at weaning. It seemed to work out the same for both Freya and Chichi. With 2 baby green wings that have been handfed from hatching, 4 red-fronted, and 4 baby greys I'm not even going to try to add that up. What I can say for sure is that I've gone through 40 pounds of hand-feeding formula and I have another 20-pound bucket waiting to be opened.

IMG_7050.jpeg IMG_7057.jpeg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think that little one has an adorable face!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Diego is 68 days old today. I haven't weighed him in a while, but he's growing like crazy. I reached out to the person that was interested in him to see if that is still the case. If not, someone else on my list will fall in love with him. Two pictures below show the bend in his beak. It looks much bigger when his beak is open, but when closed it is very slight.

We've found homes for two of the baby red-fronted macaws. There is a lot of interest in the others, but we're just waiting for people to make up their minds. I've made it clear to them that only a deposit will hold the bird and if they wait too long the opportunity will pass them by. I checked the nest box on Sunday and two chicks have hatched out of the 4 eggs that were laid. With their high fertility rate, we may end up with all 4 eggs hatching. That will keep us busy raising babies until November.

I was reading a blog about raising baby macaws and it stated that in her experience, each baby was hand fed roughly 600 times between hatching or coming out of the nest and the final feeding at weaning. It seemed to work out the same for both Freya and Chichi. With 2 baby green wings that have been handfed from hatching, 4 red-fronted, and 4 baby greys I'm not even going to try to add that up. What I can say for sure is that I've gone through 40 pounds of hand-feeding formula and I have another 20-pound bucket waiting to be opened.

View attachment 412255 View attachment 412256
Ooooh be still my heart! He is the most precious little dinosaur boy :heart: and I absolutely love his name.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm enjoying a lull in the bird storm. The red-fronted macaws are starting to wean and have been moved into a cage. They are all sassy and full of attitude but so sweet too. They were carrying on in the cage last night so I opened the door and took a picture. It looks like I interrupted them trash-talking about someone. Probably me. I have an update on my girl Penny Pickles. She's grown into a beautiful girl and is quite the chatterbox. I sent her dad a picture of her siblings. Diego is now 77 days old. Growing like a bad weed for sure. We had some issues with his crop not emptying overnight. My friend who house sits for us when we're on vacation took matters into her own hands and got him fixed up. He had a little ball of congealed food in his crop that wasn't letting other foods pass. She plumped him up with some warm water and massaged his crop until it broke up. Now he's emptying right on schedule. The baby greenwing will be 1 month old tomorrow and is just under 200 grams in weight. It seems like it has doubled in size in the last 5 days. The growth spurt has started and before too long we will have two monster babies in the house. Here are some pictures. Penny, the babies, and Chichi. His mom sent us a picture recently of him being silly and rolling around on her favorite fuzzy blanket.

Attachments

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Love your baby pics :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I love ALL your pics and your detailed explanations about everything. :heart2:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love ALL your pics and your detailed explanations about everything. :heart2:
Thank you. It's all a journey and a joy to raise these babies until they are ready to go home. Here is the baby green wing and the last two baby red-fronted macaws that came out of the nest box an hour ago. I'm moving some cages around and it seems like a good time to pull the babies and then move the parents into a cage with no nest box. They will be on a break until next spring.

IMG_7118.jpeg

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Awww how adorable. Protecting them already :heart::heart::heart::heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you. It's all a journey and a joy to raise these babies until they are ready to go home. Here is the baby green wing and the last two baby red-fronted macaws that came out of the nest box an hour ago. I'm moving some cages around and it seems like a good time to pull the babies and then move the parents into a cage with no nest box. They will be on a break until next spring.

View attachment 412807
Oh my goodness be still my heart! That's beyond precious :heart: