• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Needing some help with my birds behavior

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Hi :) I was wondering if anyone had some advice with regards to my birds behavior.

Just over a year ago I rescued a baby house sparrow (it's a long story that I would have to put in another thread) but long story short; I couldn't release him and he ended up becoming more of a pet. He has been hand reared by me and is completely tame (he has regular time outside the cage throughout the day), but I've been having problems with him recently.

It's summer (almost autumn) where I live and he has been molting, the only problem is that he does not seem to be coping with it at all, in the last 2 days he has been incredibly itchy, non stop picking at his feathers, and has been restless at night (this happened a few months ago as well, just not as bad, and after some research I started putting a little bit of coconut oil in his food which helped, I stopped a couple of weeks ago because I ran out and it has started again). I bought some more coconut oil 2 days ago and have started putting it back in his food but it got so bad yesterday that I had to take a little bit and rub it on the areas he was very itchy, I also noticed his skin looks very dry and he doesn't seem to oil himself (with his oil gland) enough.

I have checked for mites and lice and nothing, since he has no contact with wild birds it seems very unlikely he would have any in the first place. I ordered some molting vitamin and antistress supplements to try and help him deal with it. I'm just starting to get very worried because he seems like he is constantly distressed. The supplements arrive tomorrow so I will see if that helps.

I want to avoid a vet at all costs unless absolutely necessary because he is VERY skittish and gets frightened easily, and I don't want to add onto the stress.

Please if anyone has advice that would be much appreciated

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do not put oil on a bird. They can't preen it off & it will prevent him from zipping his feathers. I'd suggest a bath. Mist or rinse him with room temp water.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! I would definitely avoid putting oil on him as much as possible, just misting him with some warm water and trying to encourage better bathing. I know that my birds will get dry and itchy if the air is really dry, have you thought about getting a humidifier?

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Do not put oil on a bird. They can't preen it off & it will prevent him from zipping his feathers. I'd suggest a bath. Mist or rinse him with room temp water.
I forgot to mention that he does bath regularly, usually 3 to 4 times a week but it doesn't seem to help with his dryness. I didn't put oil all over him, just on his legs, the part with feathers, as that seems to be where he is mainly itchy. I was careful not to get it all over him, but I'll avoid it going forward thanks for the advice.

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Hello and welcome! I would definitely avoid putting oil on him as much as possible, just misting him with some warm water and trying to encourage better bathing. I know that my birds will get dry and itchy if the air is really dry, have you thought about getting a humidifier?
Hi and thank you, I just replied to another person where I explained that he does bath regularly, and I do live in a very dry climate. I've never looked at an air humidifier before but I thought of it earlier, unfortunately after I had already ordered the supplements for him‍ but I'll try to get one as soon as possible just to try help with the dry air. Thank you for replying :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Can you share feet pics?
What is his diet?
I think I hear of people doing aloe water?

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I have an itchy bird, my vet just gave me some omega 3 fatty acid oil and it helped a TON. since it's a sparrow i'd wonder if they need more insects in their diet as that has a lot of that in it. Do you feed mealworms?

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Hi :) I was wondering if anyone had some advice with regards to my birds behavior.

Just over a year ago I rescued a baby house sparrow (it's a long story that I would have to put in another thread) but long story short; I couldn't release him and he ended up becoming more of a pet. He has been hand reared by me and is completely tame (he has regular time outside the cage throughout the day), but I've been having problems with him recently.

It's summer (almost autumn) where I live and he has been molting, the only problem is that he does not seem to be coping with it at all, in the last 2 days he has been incredibly itchy, non stop picking at his feathers, and has been restless at night (this happened a few months ago as well, just not as bad, and after some research I started putting a little bit of coconut oil in his food which helped, I stopped a couple of weeks ago because I ran out and it has started again). I bought some more coconut oil 2 days ago and have started putting it back in his food but it got so bad yesterday that I had to take a little bit and rub it on the areas he was very itchy, I also noticed his skin looks very dry and he doesn't seem to oil himself (with his oil gland) enough.

I have checked for mites and lice and nothing, since he has no contact with wild birds it seems very unlikely he would have any in the first place. I ordered some molting vitamin and antistress supplements to try and help him deal with it. I'm just starting to get very worried because he seems like he is constantly distressed. The supplements arrive tomorrow so I will see if that helps.

I want to avoid a vet at all costs unless absolutely necessary because he is VERY skittish and gets frightened easily, and I don't want to add onto the stress.

Please if anyone has advice that would be much appreciated
Hi everyone, I thought I would share an update on how lil weet (I forgot to mention his name in the original post lol). He has been much better since I have been giving him the supplements I bought. The itchiness and restlessness has settled down a lot and he seems to be coping with moulting much better than before. He has been almost 100% back to normal, just a bit tired during the day, which I read is normal for birds who are moulting. Thank you for all the replies and help.

Attachments

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
This picture of him was from a few days ago :)

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
I have an itchy bird, my vet just gave me some omega 3 fatty acid oil and it helped a TON. since it's a sparrow i'd wonder if they need more insects in their diet as that has a lot of that in it. Do you feed mealworms?
Hi, when I first rescued him, I was going to get some but I remember researching if sparrows can have mealworms and someone who also rescued a sparrow had a bad experience with giving their sparrow mealworms (I can't remember exactly what it was), so I just avoided giving him any.

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Can you share feet pics?
What is his diet?
I think I hear of people doing aloe water?
Hi, I haven't heard of aloe water before, I'll look into it. He eats a soft food mix as his main food source, I add a tiny bit of coconut oil, moulting supplement, and some egg (hard boiled & crushed) for some protein. I also give him this wild bird seed mix, he doesn't have it all the time though. I have tried giving him different greens and fruit but he is very fussy lol, so he doesn't like most vegetables, his favourites are lettuce, banana and grapes. He seems to like spinach but not as much.

I've attach a picture of his feet, I tried to get a good picture but as you can see he was very interested in the camera :laughing2:

Attachments