• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help. Is a Peach face for me and my family?

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Hello. I’m new to this site. I’m very excited to be here. I hope I’m posting in the right category. I apologize if it’s not...

This will be lengthy. But I want the most honest responses and the only way to achieve that is by being as transparent as possible.

The time has come to add two birds in my life. I’m REALLY excited. That being said, a pet is forever to me. This absolutely has to work. Bumps and patience down the road are expected. But as a whole. This has to work forever.

A great deal of thought has gone into this all. My set up has been extensively studied and thought through. Flight cage. Large Bird playground. I’m a stay at home mom. I will be home 80% of the time and anytime I’m home, the birds will be allowed play time as long as it’s safe for them and my family to do so.

I have confidence in all that. I know right now there are two bids out there who don’t even know they’re about to be adopted by me and spend the rest of their lives living their happiest!

This adoption was always thought to be budgies from the start. I owned budgies as a child so it was only natural I gravitated towards them now that I’m ready to start owning birds again.

Then I came across an absolutely wonderful breeder who has hand raised Peach Faces ready to home in the near future..... and then I fell totally head over heals in love.

Here is where I need help. Thinking with my head and not my heart.

I have 2 children at home. 4&5. These birds are NOT theirs. They will be mine. But I absolutely want my children to have a positive experience with my future birds.

I’ve been reading for days. Trying to learn everything I need to know about love birds. Here I’m sure you already know the good I’ve found. You own them and keep them an love them all for a reason right? I’m currently jealous of all owners right now.

Then I found the bad.... I read bites hurt! I am under the impression through reading that bites are frequent. I understand from readings that they can become very territorial of their cage. Which if it was just me, fine. I can follow their rules too. But I am concerned about one of my kids breaking the rule and then having to learn the hard way why that rule exists in the first place (as well keeping in mind my children have friends). I read some birds even become possessive of their bonded people (which will be me. Kids won’t be allowed alone with the birds and my husband is a busy guy). I’m concerned about that. If I can’t show affection to my children or family members, well, I don’t even want to think about that. I have read hormones play the biggest role in bites but I still haven’t read “males don’t bite at all”.

Is “the bad” in all this true for the most part?

again. If it was just me, I’d be throwing a deposit on those babies yesterday and I would get bit sometimes and then we would all learn each other’s no-go zones and moods etc. My birds could be bonded with me and life would go on and we would all live happily ever after lol.

Based on what you’ve read here, in your experience, is it still possible to own a Peach Face and for us all as a family to be happy? Or is it really just in my best interest at this point in life to go with a budgie? (I know they bite too. I just know how that bite feels and even one of my kids could get a nip and not be traumatized over life about it haha).

Thank you for your time and knowledge ❤

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I will let some of our members with more love bird experience than me answer your questions in more detail. My lovie experience is limited to one that I fostered. He/she was adorable but was pretty cage territorial. He came from a not good situation though so I don't blame him for being that way. He was adorable and playful, but I did get my share of bites from him. Were the bites bad? No. But I also have a cockatoo now so all things are relative. My one caution would be, at least with this lovie, when he bit, he didn't let go. So calmly detaching a biting bird from you is something an adult can do. If a child panics, not only can the child get hurt, but so can the lovebird. They're so tiny. But they don't think they're tiny. LOL.

I think with any type of bird though and children you just have to be cautious. @Zara ?

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Welcome to the forum. I will let some of our members with more love bird experience than me answer your questions in more detail. My lovie experience is limited to one that I fostered. He/she was adorable but was pretty cage territorial. He came from a not good situation though so I don't blame him for being that way. He was adorable and playful, but I did get my share of bites from him. Were the bites bad? No. But I also have a cockatoo now so all things are relative. My one caution would be, at least with this lovie, when he bit, he didn't let go. So calmly detaching a biting bird from you is something an adult can do. If a child panics, not only can the child get hurt, but so can the lovebird. They're so tiny. But they don't think they're tiny. LOL.

I think with any type of bird though and children you just have to be cautious. @Zara ?
that is a very good point! I’m glad you outlined that. The scream alone might traumatize a poor bird. Let alone what else might happen! Thank you for your response!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Amanda, welcome to the community :starshower1:

when he bit, he didn't let go.
Yes, I will second that , especially with females, they will latch on with their bites.

I read some birds even become possessive of their bonded people
I have found, in my experience, that with my partner and myself interacting with our birds, they do not have A person, they have us all. None are protective of anyone. But maybe there are other Roseicollis (peachfaced) owners who will say otherwise.

My 3 year old nephew comes over every now and then and some of my birds are scared of him, others don’t mind him and will come over and land on his head before flying off.
I have to watch him because he enjoys the birds flying so he wants to open the cages and will try doing so. He also goes to put fingers in the cage of one of my really territorial hen and I have to pull his hand back. He has never been bitten by my birds yet.
I really don’t know the answer to your questions re your children. This is something only you can answer. The world hasn’t blessed me with children, so the only experience I have is that of my nephew.

I will say that if you are going for a pair of birds, don’t buy from a chain store, get them from a breeder or rescue who has interacted with these birds and are somewhat accustomed to human interaction. It will give you a good head start in terms of building trust.

If you have any questions, post them and we will do our best to post you answers based on our own experiences :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I agree :)
Ps, the alert didn’t come through to me for this, did you edit it in?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something else to think about is how being around children could affect a bird. Quick movements and unpredictable, loud noises can be stressful for parrots.

I'll tag @Mizzely as someone with parrots and small children.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Is there a reason you are getting a pair? Will they be caged together? Peach faced lovebirds are big personalities in little bodies, females can be more "challenging" than males and are more pron to biting. That being said, females make great pets. With two, you it will take more effort and time to to tame them and even then they may bond more to each other than to you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My favorite thing is this:

I used it around the entire parrot area until my son (now 5) understood he was not allowed over there without an adult. It also gives the parrots a place to exist that they know they won't be bothered by little people, which helps keep the peace. I just had a new baby 6 weeks ago and the baby fence will go back up.

My Quaker used to fly over and bite my son's hands when he was 1or 2 to make him drop his food so he could steal it :eek: So the parrots need boundaries as much as the children do.

Besides the stealing of food, my kid hasn't been bitten by my birds. But, I've always only allowed him to try and pet him or give a treat in a neutral space (not on me, not on the cage, etc). Very short and sweet sessions only.

While other people might let their kids interact more with their parrots, I'm in the camp of letting them mix as little as possible (as much as can be done with the cage in living room allows ;) ) until they are old enough to learn their body language, which my son is learning now.

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Hello Amanda, welcome to the community :starshower1:

Yes, I will second that , especially with females, they will latch on with their bites.

I have found, in my experience, that with my partner and myself interacting with our birds, they do not have A person, they have us all. None are protective of anyone. But maybe there are other Roseicollis (peachfaced) owners who will say otherwise.

My 3 year old nephew comes over every now and then and some of my birds are scared of him, others don’t mind him and will come over and land on his head before flying off.
I have to watch him because he enjoys the birds flying so he wants to open the cages and will try doing so. He also goes to put fingers in the cage of one of my really territorial hen and I have to pull his hand back. He has never been bitten by my birds yet.
I really don’t know the answer to your questions re your children. This is something only you can answer. The world hasn’t blessed me with children, so the only experience I have is that of my nephew.

I will say that if you are going for a pair of birds, don’t buy from a chain store, get them from a breeder or rescue who has interacted with these birds and are somewhat accustomed to human interaction. It will give you a good head start in terms of building trust.

If you have any questions, post them and we will do our best to post you answers based on our own experiences :)
Thanks for your reply! The more I read the more I learn. It’s comforting to know your bird loves you all. That’s great!

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
My favorite thing is this:

I used it around the entire parrot area until my son (now 5) understood he was not allowed over there without an adult. It also gives the parrots a place to exist that they know they won't be bothered by little people, which helps keep the peace. I just had a new baby 6 weeks ago and the baby fence will go back up.

My Quaker used to fly over and bite my son's hands when he was 1or 2 to make him drop his food so he could steal it :eek: So the parrots need boundaries as much as the children do.

Besides the stealing of food, my kid hasn't been bitten by my birds. But, I've always only allowed him to try and pet him or give a treat in a neutral space (not on me, not on the cage, etc). Very short and sweet sessions only.

While other people might let their kids interact more with their parrots, I'm in the camp of letting them mix as little as possible (as much as can be done with the cage in living room allows ;) ) until they are old enough to learn their body language, which my son is learning now.
that is SUCH a good idea! You’re right. Both for the kids and birds safety alike. I will definitely be purchasing one of these. Totally genius! Thank you!

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Is there a reason you are getting a pair? Will they be caged together? Peach faced lovebirds are big personalities in little bodies, females can be more "challenging" than males and are more pron to biting. That being said, females make great pets. With two, you it will take more effort and time to to tame them and even then they may bond more to each other than to you.
Yes I have gone back and fourth so many times about getting 2. I do worry I will end up the 3rd wheel. But I am more worried that only 1 will get too attached to me. I also worried if I only get 1 now but decide to bring home a friend later, that it will go badly. I still go back and fourth on this question a lot.

I never thought of not caging together. But I think be the easiest if they were?

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
Something else to think about is how being around children could affect a bird. Quick movements and unpredictable, loud noises can be stressful for parrots.

I'll tag @Mizzely as someone with parrots and small children.
I’m so glad I asked this question here. This is another great thing to consider. As a mom, its all white noise in the background now. But to someone new or a bird, it could get a little annoying

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Yes I have gone back and fourth so many times about getting 2. I do worry I will end up the 3rd wheel. But I am more worried that only 1 will get too attached to me. I also worried if I only get 1 now but decide to bring home a friend later, that it will go badly. I still go back and fourth on this question a lot.

I never thought of not caging together. But I think be the easiest if they were?
I had a sun conure pair, got them real young. They were attached to me from 7 weeks to 1.5 years. After that, they still love me and like people but I became more of the 3rd wheel. As for caging separately, I would suggest it, it will increase your odds of better bonding. They can still get outside play time together and have the cages next to each other.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

I would recommend one or two birds. Bringing home one bird now and then one later can result in needing to house the birds separately(if they don’t get on together). A bonded pair of birds can be housed together, if you get them young, you should still be able to interact with them and be involved whilst also allowing them to have each other as companions and be birds.

Edit, I just want to add.. my first bird was bought alone. I felt bad and wanted a friend for him.... 8 birds later he finally has a friend.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I have a 14 year old male lovebird - I've had him since he weaned. I got him from a hobby breeder, so someone who spent a lot of time raising and socializing her babies. When I went to her home to pick a baby she had many to choose from and I didn't know how to decide, but then one little one waddled over, jumped up on my hand, and that was it...he picked me! He's been a complete sweetheart all his life. He's friendly to everyone, has never bitten, and is just an adorable little guy. So I guess my advice is to see if one picks you, and try to make sure it's a male. By and large they are sweeter than females upon maturity (there are exceptions of course).
ETA - buying two babies in no way guarantees they will remain friends when they grow up.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree :)
Ps, the alert didn’t come through to me for this, did you edit it in?
No. I tagged you when I posted. You are the first person I think of when it comes to lovies. : )

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Such good advice from everyone!
I want to add just two little things...
1. In my opinion being the third wheel isn't that bad if your lovebird has a friend that he can be a bird with. Lovebirds bond easily with their owners. It just depends on what you want for your bird and what you want from the relationship. But as Brian said, get two cages. And like Zara said, get two who already know each-other.
2. A shelter is a great place to meet the birds. Plus, they are in need of a good forever home :heart:

Good luck! And keep us updated!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello and welcome!

I have a Peach face that I inherited from a tenant of mine last spring. He will be 2 in April. The tenant‘s sister had raised him and trained him from hatching/parents raised, and he went to them and then to me a few months later.

He is the sweetest little guy, has never played shy and nips but does not actually bit. He is bonded both to my husband and myself. We do not have any children in the household though. He is more bonded to men, he was the same with the first owner. If the man of the house is around, I am incognito until he leaves the room, then I magically appear and must be stuck to like glue as a play toy.

I think it is a good idea to get a bird that is well socialized due to the fact that you have children in the house. A rescue if it was in a busy household should be fine as well as would be used to the noise level.. like anything, children and pets can be taught over time to respect each other and live well as part of the same flock.

All the best to you. And let us know and see who you bring home!! We love pictures, lots of pictures....

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovebirds are wonderful, but they’re not for everyone. I adore them and have had them for years. We currently have 9 - 6 boys and 3 girls.

5 of the 6 males will typically only nip if they’re upset (reason usually being that they thought another lovie rival got too close to me and I got in the way). My mama’s boy, Twinkie, is always cuddling me and diving into my shirt to sleep or be close, but he’s also the most possessive and will even bite my wife to chase her off if she gets too close! His clutch-mate (Fishy) has never acted that way towards a human and is a lot more easy-going. They all have different personalities, so your experience could vary greatly even between male lovebirds. But all birds can bite, and they will if they feel the need.

The females are a force of nature. Usually not “family” birds. They’re happy to apply the beak with great prejudice!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My female gets jealous of electronics. I am her min person but she will go to other people and will not try to bite she only tries and bite when I am holding a electronic device to close like the phone or tv remote. She has gotten better but still hates her photo taken. Her being a female, she gets nesty easily which means angry/territorial. That being said, for her being a female she is a pretty well behaved bird. The only other time she gets passive is over her treats or she meets a bird and doesnt want me to take her away.

Angry bird

80% of the time sweet bird