• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help. Is a Peach face for me and my family?

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
All this info has been overwhelmingly amazing and I thank everyone for their input! Truly! Means so much to me. All so informative too. I’m off to go visit a breeder in a couple weeks. She has 9 babies ready to go to their new forever homes in a few weeks time. I’m so excited! I’m still on the fence. But I will talk with her more. Do some more reading. And take all this advice into consideration. Thank you all again. Your birds are so lucky to have people like you :heart:

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
My female gets jealous of electronics. I am her min person but she will go to other people and will not try to bite she only tries and bite when I am holding a electronic device to close like the phone or tv remote. She has gotten better but still hates her photo taken. Her being a female, she gets nesty easily which means angry/territorial. That being said, for her being a female she is a pretty well behaved bird. The only other time she gets passive is over her treats or she meets a bird and doesnt want me to take her away.

Angry bird

80% of the time sweet bird
Oh. Myyyy GOSHHHHHHH :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Birds are not toys. Stuffed are good for children to hold...birds can bite & they are fragile...Children need to be taught boundaries just like they are not supposed to go with strangers, cross the street alone, play with matches or many other dangerous things...

children have plenty of things to keep their interest. They will grow up, go to school have friends, then boy & girlfriends & want to be on there own..but that lovie will stiil think you are #1 & love you 24/7///

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
My 2 cents on lovebirds and children. I personally dont think lovebirds are for children simply because these little land sharks are big personality in little bodies, they tend bot to back down which is why Loki is not allowed near my larger birds. That being said there always exceptions. Children who can handle birds as long as they are slow moving, calm and understand personal space then it could be a good fit. There are more tolerable species of birds, lovebirds are kind of stubborn lol.

I know the bird is for you and not for the kids, good luck!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Also unless you plan to breed, which can be stressful and heart breaking, I suggest you get two males that are DNA tested if you end up wanting two. Especially since you are getting them young, first time parents are sometimes not the greatest which is the heartbreaking part. Also, if they are siblings you probably would not want any inbreeding. Two females cam be dangerous but can work. But I would say that there is a higher chance they wont get along than two males when they reach sexual maturity. Loki is female and has a girlfriend that lives with a friend of mine. Loki was DNA tested female and her gf lays eggs.

Last edited:

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
My 2 cents on lovebirds and children. I personally dont think lovebirds are for children simply because these little land sharks are big personality in little bodies, they tend bot to back down which is why Loki is not allowed near my larger birds. That being said there always exceptions. Children who can handle birds as long as they are slow moving, calm and understand personal space then it could be a good fit. There are more tolerable species of birds, lovebirds are kind of stubborn lol.

I know the bird is for you and not for the kids, good luck!
yes! Love your honesty. That’s exactly how I feel. In a perfect world my kids will obey all mine (and the birds) rules. But this is real life. They will survive a nip. And honestly if everyone (bird included) ended up ok from the experience, well then they won’t do it again lol. And unfortunately at their age probably just be traumatized from the whole thing too. Which I don’t want either.

Other risks would be other children. My kids are old enough to learn these rules and follow them. But will every single kid who comes into my home? Probably not. Do I want to jeopardize a friendship because she won’t want to come over and risk her child getting bit again? Or what about my own birds safety? (This would apply to both species actually). I have thoughts already how this is going to work. I have set up a pretty big flight cage. Not very easily moved to another room. Possibly setting up a smaller cage (call it a hotel lol) for a different Room am keeping birds and kids totally separated. Have to read more about that. If birds will be comfortable being moved into a different cage now and again :bored:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But will every single kid who comes into my home? Probably not. Do I want to jeopardize a friendship because she won’t want to come over and risk her child getting bit again? Or what about my own birds safety? (This would apply to both species actually). I have thoughts already how this is going to work. I have set up a pretty big flight cage. Not very easily moved to another room. Possibly setting up a smaller cage (call it a hotel lol) for a different Room am keeping birds and kids totally separated. Have to read more about that. If birds will be comfortable being moved into a different cage now and again :bored:
I would recommend this. Birds will catch a childs eye, especially a colourful cute bird and most kids first thought is to try to touch.
So you would have their main set up, and a secondary setup where you can put the birds in a place where they won´t be hassled by small children or noise. Or have a large flight cage on wheels that you can push into another room (obviously if you have stairs, you will need two set ups to make your life easier).
The birds will adapt fine, foraging oportunities and toys will help keep them occupied :)
I moved all my birds into my bedroom for christmas eve and new years eve while I hosted dinners for my partners family. They were fine with that change, and my birds rarely have their cages moved.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
But this is real life. They will survive a nip. And honestly if everyone (bird included) ended up ok from the experience, well then they won’t do it again lol. And unfortunately at their age probably just be traumatized from the whole thing too. Which I don’t want either.
The thing that worries me most about this scenario is the kid's potential response. A child will survive a nip. Sure, they won't be happy about it but they'll be okay. But they may react by flinging the bird, smacking or hitting the bird, grabbing and crushing the bird, or whacking their hand (plus bird) into the wall to remove the bird. All of these will seriously injure or kill a little bird. The bird is truly not the dangerous one here: your children are.

Amanda01

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda
I would recommend this. Birds will catch a childs eye, especially a colourful cute bird and most kids first thought is to try to touch.
So you would have their main set up, and a secondary setup where you can put the birds in a place where they won´t be hassled by small children or noise. Or have a large flight cage on wheels that you can push into another room (obviously if you have stairs, you will need two set ups to make your life easier).
The birds will adapt fine, foraging oportunities and toys will help keep them occupied :)
I moved all my birds into my bedroom for christmas eve and new years eve while I hosted dinners for my partners family. They were fine with that change, and my birds rarely have their cages moved.
oh awesome! Glad to hear this works! I’ll be doing that for sure then. How big do you recommend the size of that cage be?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How big do you recommend the size of that cage be?
The biggest you can find with appropriate bar spacing ;) (1-1.1cm)
A good size would be 30x18x36 or some thing along those lines.
Bare minimum would be 24x18x24 for one bird. A pair would need larger. It is harder to find larger cages for little birds, but there are some available :)