• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Neck seems red

Msanguine

Moving in
Real Name
Mae
Hihi,
I need some advice for Buttercup, my 4 weeks old baby lovebird, who still feeds on formula mix.

1. His neck seems red, as attached in the image. Is there something wrong or is normal?

2. When can i introduce bathing to him. Is he too young for a bath?

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Mae, Can you tell us what the temperature of the formula is when you feed it? A safe range is between 104-107 degrees Fahrenheit. Explain how you mix the formula and the consistency, how many cc's of formula you feed and how many times a day... do you have a schedule for your feedings.... what type of container you are keeping the baby in and what the bedding material is.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hihi,
I need some advice for Buttercup, my 4 weeks old baby lovebird, who still feeds on formula mix.

1. His neck seems red, as attached in the image. Is there something wrong or is normal?

2. When can i introduce bathing to him. Is he too young for a bath?

He is way to young for introducing to a bath.

Msanguine

Moving in
Real Name
Mae
Hi Mae, Can you tell us what the temperature of the formula is when you feed it? A safe range is between 104-107 degrees Fahrenheit. Explain how you mix the formula and the consistency, how many cc's of formula you feed and how many times a day... do you have a schedule for your feedings.... what type of container you are keeping the baby in and what the bedding material is.
I mix it with 80 degree celcius of hot water but will wait for it to cool down slightly before feeding.
I would take 3/4 tablespoon of formula with a ratio of formula to water, 1:3.
Usually buttercup eats 6 to 8 cc a feeding.

My feeding schedule:
1st feeding : 8:40am
2nd feeding :12:30pm
3rd feeding : 5:30pm
4th feeding : 11pm

I keep him in a bird cage without the metal cage. 2 paper towel at the bottom with wood shavings aand some shredded tissue paper, as attached.

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I mix it with 80 degree celcius of hot water but will wait for it to cool down slightly before feeding.
I would take 3/4 tablespoon of formula with a ratio of formula to water, 1:3.
Usually buttercup eats 6 to 8 cc a feeding.

My feeding schedule:
1st feeding : 8:40am
2nd feeding :12:30pm
3rd feeding : 5:30pm
4th feeding : 11pm

I keep him in a bird cage without the metal cage. 2 paper towel at the bottom with wood shavings aand some shredded tissue paper, as attached.
80 degrees celsius (= 176 degrees Fahrenheit ) extremely hot... if you are only allowing it to cool slightly you can seriously burn the esophagus and crop to the point this chick won't survive it. You should know exactly what temperature the formula is in the cup before you feed. The temperature should be between 40 -42 degrees Celsius ( 104-107.6 degrees Fahrenheit)

Do you think you've fed the formula over 43 degrees Celsius ( 110 degrees Fahrenheit) ? The redness could certainly be caused by feeding the formula too hot.

As long as you are mixing the formula according to the package ( I don't know what formula you are feeding) it should be fine ( and the consistency should be like applesauce). If you have a scale that weighs in GRAMS you should be weighing this baby first thing in the morning before you feed him after he poops first to get an accurate weight. If he weighs 40 grams ( for example) you would feed 10% of his weight which would be 4 CC of formula. Be careful to NOT overfill the crop. So you can see how important it is to weigh and while you're at it record the date, time and how much formula you give at each feeding. It's also very important to keep the chick warm. A chilled chick can lead to the crop slowing down in digesting the formula. Below is a table of temperatures according to age of chicks as a guideline.

AgeTemperature °CTemperature °F
Hatch to Day 2-335.0-36.596-98
Day 3 to Day 14-2131.1-34.088-94
3 weeks to Weaning25.0-30.076-86

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I also want to mention ... you must prepare fresh formula every time you feed. Do not make extra and store it in the refrigerator to use for later.

Msanguine

Moving in
Real Name
Mae
80 degrees celsius (= 176 degrees Fahrenheit ) extremely hot... if you are only allowing it to cool slightly you can seriously burn the esophagus and crop to the point this chick won't survive it. You should know exactly what temperature the formula is in the cup before you feed. The temperature should be between 40 -42 degrees Celsius ( 104-107.6 degrees Fahrenheit)

Do you think you've fed the formula over 43 degrees Celsius ( 110 degrees Fahrenheit) ? The redness could certainly be caused by feeding the formula too hot.

As long as you are mixing the formula according to the package ( I don't know what formula you are feeding) it should be fine ( and the consistency should be like applesauce). If you have a scale that weighs in GRAMS you should be weighing this baby first thing in the morning before you feed him after he poops first to get an accurate weight. If he weighs 40 grams ( for example) you would feed 10% of his weight which would be 4 CC of formula. Be careful to NOT overfill the crop. So you can see how important it is to weigh and while you're at it record the date, time and how much formula you give at each feeding. It's also very important to keep the chick warm. A chilled chick can lead to the crop slowing down in digesting the formula. Below is a table of temperatures according to age of chicks as a guideline.

AgeTemperature °CTemperature °F
Hatch to Day 2-335.0-36.596-98
Day 3 to Day 14-2131.1-34.088-94
3 weeks to Weaning25.0-30.076-86
Omg!! I am not sure the exact temperature when feeding.
I will definitely take note of this very important factor.
Thank you so much for the advice!

And yes prepare fresh. And keep the formula powder in the fridge. Im using exact formula.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How is your chick behaving? Still eating the formula? Are you in the U.S. ?

Msanguine

Moving in
Real Name
Mae
How is your chick behaving? Still eating the formula? Are you in the U.S. ?
Yes, still on formula. Buttercup still eats happily. (i assumed chirping = happy. Haha)
I just fed at 530pm and observed him for abit. He stretched alot and jumped around his little home.
Not in the states. I'm from Singapore.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Another photo of the chick from the front with better lighting would be nice. Does it still look as red to you today?

Msanguine

Moving in
Real Name
Mae
Follow the guide as written by the manufacturers; https://www.northernparrots.com/images/pdfs/577108_feedingInstructions.pdf

Redness in chicks is either burn/hot or dehydration. Bot hare avoided when fed the food at the correct temperature and consistency.

Your little one may enjoy a little hide of some sort, like a shoebox with a large door way cut out, lines with shavings. She is still young and needs a nice nook to rest inside.
Thank you so much @Zara. I just ordered a nest for him. Waiting for it to be delivered

Msanguine

Moving in
Real Name
Mae
Another photo of the chick from the front with better lighting would be nice. Does it still look as red to you today?
@Mockinbirdiva @Zara
Buttercup isn't that red. Looks happier today too..
It's difficult to get a shot.
I'm so happy to see his feather developing. Thank you so much for the advices.

Attachments

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He/she is very cute! I've always loved baby parrots.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue