• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Necessary road trip - with the budgie boys

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
A few hours before we leave, I change out their water for brewed chamomile tea mixed 50/50 water. This helps calm their nerves. I make extra and keep it in water bottles for later
Smart! I never would have thought of that.

Just because I love taking and posting pictures of my guys, here's Buddy on the drive to my house this past Feb
Aww... So cute!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mybluebird Your little Buddy is adorable! Yes, I need to find a rope perch because the one I have is missing the attachment cap.

@Mizzely I have chamomile tea, so I can do that. They may turn their beaks up at it, but it's worth the shot. I need to pick up bungee cords, but that's not a problem.

@budgieluv3 Thank you so much!

Believe me, I'll have more things packed for the budgie boys than for myself!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will, I promise....and I have good news on progress :) So, I was able to put the boys into and out of their travel cage today! I haven't closed the door yet, but I think it's progress. 'Course millet spray is very useful for all this, lol!

After we had spent a bit of time working on comfort with their metal dishes (horrors!), and in and out of the cage, I received a reply from the Celltei company....I get the pack o bird on Saturday!!!!! Yay!!!!!! I had called them earlier in the day to ask about whether or not they had one that would work in stock, and whether I could receive it by Saturday, and they did, and I can!!! That's a relief!

All in all, I'm feeling a bit better about this trip--especially with all the guidance from you. Thank you!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
And I do apologize if the above post came across as harsh. I am just so profoundly stressed out right now, and I am trying to do what's best for all (feathered and human) involved. :unsure:
I wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your trip goes well.

You've recieved some great advice. I wanted to add, I regularly travel with my 2 budgies to my parents house (granted only 1 hour drive) and they LOVE car rides. They know the bag I pack for them when we go (it's pretty regular!) and they get excited when I start packing it.

Also- probably an unpopular opinion- but if you are only going for a few days, a pet sitter isn't a horrible option. A few days of no chop won't kill them- and if the pet sitter can give them a good fly and a munch on some veggies they will be ok.

If you ask around- you may find someone who would stay in your home to look after them too. I have a co-worker with a teenage daughter who is DESPERATE for me to let her stay overnight (while I'm gone ha ha) so she can look after Flynn and Charlie

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Under other circumstances, I would get a pet sitter. But since they have just come off of a 2-week course of antibiotics, and I'm still working through their seed to pellet conversion, I'm anxious to keep my own eye on them. I'll be gone for a total of 8 days.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fair enough. I'm sure it will go well. I hope the memorial goes well
Thank you! And really, keeping them with a sitter is not unpopular at all. For most trips, it would be preferable as it is easier to travel without the fids.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The backpack carrier arrives today! I'm excited and nervous, but need to calm down--because the boys will be able to read that nervousness in me. I have several ideas of ways to get them acclimated to the new pack...wish me luck!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I have placed the travel backpack in the bottom of their flight cage and festooned it with millet spray...they remain unimpressed, lol!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I managed to get them into the travel cage and take them out for some sun ☀ but they freaked when the wind hit their feathers. And that made me very very sad! Jelly’s eyes were pinned, and it took several minutes before they settled enough to forage a bit for millet at the bottom of the cage.

0C30B336-2F72-44FA-B744-7594002E9282.jpeg 75388508-0AAB-4DD1-AFF9-9BA1C3E992D9.jpeg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish I could feel good about it, but they spent most of the time hanging from the side of the cage. When I brought them back inside and opened the cage door, they flew straight to their flight cage (home). I thought they would really enjoy the sun and breeze and shade, but they didn't. I hope it's because they are just so accustomed to *not* being outside...please tell me this will get better for them in time if I'm patient! :( I'm so upset!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Yes, it will get better. Its just something new. Whenever I take my guys in a new room they get quiet and very still. If you want them to have fresh air, just keep taking them out and they'll get used to it.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, I sure hope so! They definitely need some sun in their lives. I've been working for a while to desensitize them to new things. Their reaction today just really threw me :ohdrama:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
They should get used to it....
So, in that case I will warn you that you really do need to do some test drives, and also that my birds really hate big trucks when we are on the road. Both in the daytime and even more at night with their high, bright lights. Just so you know what else to expect might bother them

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It may also help to cover some of the cage with a towel when they are outside so they do not have to watch behind themselves too. If they are not used to outside then it will be scary for them so the towel covering part of the cage will give them the feeling that they can hide or turn their backs to the covered area and only watch the open part of the cage. I always found this helped when first introducing birds to outside.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They should get used to it....
So, in that case I will warn you that you really do need to do some test drives, and also that my birds really hate big trucks when we are on the road. Both in the daytime and even more at night with their high, bright lights. Just so you know what else to expect might bother them
Thank you, @MommyBird ! Yes, I hope to have a towel or sheet with me to cover the carrier so that they can see me but not much else if things get overwhelming. The only drives we've done in the past are to the vet, and that only takes 25 minutes.

It may also help to cover some of the cage with a towel when they are outside so they do not have to watch behind themselves too. If they are not used to outside then it will be scary for them so the towel covering part of the cage will give them the feeling that they can hide or turn their backs to the covered area and only watch the open part of the cage. I always found this helped when first introducing birds to outside.
Thank you, @Shezbug! I'm going to definitely try that tomorrow. I think I have a light sheet or towel that would be a good size.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Kassiani just make sure to fix the cover with some pegs so it is not flapping about in any breeze :)