• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Necessary road trip - with the budgie boys

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
But first, a small victory! Jujube will now fly to me from inside the cage!!!! I could not have been more proud :) Jelly is still wary, but will sometimes fly to my hand when I ask him while inside the cage. Neither of them are completely hand tame yet.

My family and I have finally planned my mother's memorial service. She passed in early April. This trip will be a day and a half drive. I have purchased two travel cages, but may use only one as I have not been able to house the boys separately yet. I am planning to order a cage to be delivered to my parents' house prior to my arrival. I'm staying with friends on my first night of the road trip up.

Please help set me up for success! What should I consider for safety, convenience, ease and comfort for the boys....etc. Thank you for any suggestions!

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Firstly, I`m so sorry about your mother, my prayers are with you and your family. If you are going long distances, I suggest a birdie backpack A&E Cage Company Voyager Bird Carrier | bird Travel Carriers | PetSmart If they are in a cage and there is a sudden movement, they can be thrown inside the cage and that is very dangerous. If they are thrown in this one, it is a soft surface. They might be in shock, but have better chance of survival. That is worst case scenario though. They are also very convenient and less stressful for the bird. Good Luck!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much for your kind condolences! I'm so grateful :)
I appreciate that recommendation. I have considered that. My concern is always something like that not being solid enough. I have looked at these:
Pak-o-Bird Small Size
These have a bit more room, but I have already spent $200 on the two cages. One I could return because it has not been opened yet.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I had a 6-7 hour drive when I brought Buddy home. He travelled in a small cage. He had a braided rope perch close to the bottom of the cage in case he fell. There were a couple layers of paper towels on the bottom. He had food and water even though the water spilled. I checked it every time we stopped. He also had a toy which I tied to the side of the cage so it wouldn't swing around. I used an old towel to cover his cage, leaving the side facing me open. I made sure the car air conditioning was not blowing on him. Music was playing on the radio the entire time. Buddy was a happy little traveler, chirping and singing the entire time.

Have a safe trip. Take of yourself and family under these sad circumstances.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have the pak o bird and have actually been very grateful the one time Burt was with me when I seriously needed to brake quick and hard enough to miss hitting a massive roo at 110kms and writing my car off, if Burt had of been in a wire cage or even a plastic dog crate I dare say he would have needed a vet trip with the force of the impact but with the Pak o bird being not a totally rigid or solid carrier he hit the side of the bag and scraped and scuffed his face up and ruffled feathers but did not do any serious damage- a wire or plastic crate would have been a whole different story.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is true. It's a rigid, wire cage. The kind with a handle/perch on top. It's well made, and could be used as a sleeping cage for one or both of them, or a larger cage for them to stay once we arrive.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately, the Celltei company is delayed in production and shipping from what I can tell. People have been waiting a month to receive their order. I'm leaving on October 1st, so I will probably just have to make the safest possible situation out of what I have.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now I’m very worried about this and wonder how I can make the cage as safe as possible. I will definitely use towels on the floor and even bank them up the sides of the cage a bit. Place the perches low in the cage with just enough lift to protect their tails. I’ll even clamp the food dishes low to the floor and tie the toys to keep them from swinging.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Keep in mind that budgies are quite a bit smaller than an amazon. If you put the cage on the floor in the backseat, it won't move much. The worse would be like @Shezbug said, a sudden stop where you slam on the brakes. We'll all hope that doesn't happen.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Wouldn't a "good" bird sitter be easier on them?
Short of that...
How long will you be staying?
As I don't think the new cage at your parents will be readily accepted. (Even a same cage is not "theirs".
I think it would be easier on the birds if you give them a quiet corner in their "travel" cage... Provided this is short term.

Unnecesary rant if they're used to travelling / travel cage:roflmao: .
I would start getting them used to it now by having it next to their cage with only water and treats in it, then daily "maintanance" food, then have them sleep in it.
(but 7 days is a really short time frame).
Ideally you would also take them out in it, have them sleep in it in a different room, take them for short drives...
Depends on the birds but 7 days is short to make it "a normal thing".
Could be I'm also over complicating and they'll just go:"Oh. Ok. This is what we doin."
If they're best buddies separating them might cause unnecesary stress.
The water situation while driving could be resolved also with a water silo or you stopping to give them a drink. (I would usually stop every 1,5 hrs for a break - does me good too :).)

My deepest condolances for your loss.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A good pet sitter would be easier on them. However, I have no options in that regard. If I have someone come in twice a day, their morning chop will spoil in their cage until the evening visit. They also have had antibiotics recently, and I'm vigilant about checking their droppings and weighing them at the moment. I don't know of any pet sitter who will do all that in my home. I do know someone who would watch them in "their" home, but someone else's home in town or my parents home won't make much difference to their stress levels. I'm only driving because I'm taking the birds. I thought flying would be even more stressful on them. Normally I would fly to visit my parents. I'm planning on driving the 1st and 2nd, and returning the 7th and 8th of October.

The travel cage has been with them in the same room, so they see it all the time. I have perched them on top of it so far, but not inside. I'll try to open wide the front grate and place their favorite treat inside so they associate it with good things. I think it is a large enough travel cage so that it would serve as their home during the trip. If by some miracle, I can get a soft-sided carrier prior to the trip, I'll use that and then use the cage as their "travel home" at my parents house.

I realize this is not ideal. Believe me. I'm not oblivious to that fact. If I could magically transport myself to my parents home during the day and be with the budgie boys during the mornings, evenings, and overnight, I would. But I can't. I know there are some who feel that every aspect of life should revolve around the birds to the exclusion of all else, but my family means the world to me. And, these birds mean the world to me. I'm doing everything I can to make this go as smoothly as possible for my family and my birds. I'm the one who has been planning most of this service--all while my gall bladder has been causing me grief, and I'm having to have that surgery once I get home.

I really am doing the best I can....

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And I do apologize if the above post came across as harsh. I am just so profoundly stressed out right now, and I am trying to do what's best for all (feathered and human) involved. :unsure:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
of all the birds in my varied flock, budgies are the best little travelers. I regularly used to do 16 hr drives home and they do fine.
Of course as you have seen with your Mom (and I'm so sorry) crap can happen. But I bet you'll all be fine.
You are doing your best and not doing any of the really stupid things like having swinging toys or leaving them in the car in the heat/cold while you go into a restaurant, or leaving them uncaged in the car (yes people do that). Just have some towels to cover them, keep drafts off them and pay attention to them if their body language shows a problem.
It would be great if you could take them on a few short drives before the big one. Also be aware that water can be provided by giving them whatever watery fruits and veg they will eat. Even things like sprouts, lettuce, parsley, carrot tops, or broccolini that has a little water sprinkled on it. A lot less mess.
Don't stress, you have an awful lot of tough stuff but budgies do really well travelling and it sounds like you have it under control.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wondered about using chop in the bowl, with a little added water. Thank you! And I really am trying my hardest. Today, we are learning all about stainless steel bowls and the travel cage. Stainless bowls are a horror to them, for some reason? I just put one in their cage with a few little millet kibbles in it, and they seemed to like it!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I wondered about using chop in the bowl, with a little added water. Thank you! And I really am trying my hardest. Today, we are learning all about stainless steel bowls and the travel cage. Stainless bowls are a horror to them, for some reason? I just put one in their cage with a few little millet kibbles in it, and they seemed to like it!
anything new is a monster until proven otherwise. That's why it's good to try the cage and actually go for a short ride, even around the block a couple times, before the big day. It's also good you have 2 budgies, they will help each other thru and give confidence and comfort.
It is an adventure for you all.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I think you'll be fine on the drive with your budgies. After it was mentioned, Buddy did have an herb (parsley I think?) hanging in his cage during the travel. Suggest you take a couple of their favorite toys along to put in the cage when you get there. I also recommend that you look up the nearest avian vet to where you'll be staying especially since they are coming off antibiotic treatment. Just to be prepared and hopefully you won't need it. Also locate the nearest pet shop just in case you decide you need something for them or forgot something. I wouldn't stress over finding a soft carrier. Buddy did just fine in his little cage. Whenever we hit a bumpity bump section of the road, he'd land on the bottom of the cage but the perch was low so not a bad drop. He'd climb up and hang onto the bars until we hit smooth road. Once on the highway, life was good. We also stopped every 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you all so much! I will stop every 1.5 hours to make sure they are comfortable, and will check on an Avian vet at my destination. The pet stores in the area I have covered, as pets have always been part of the family experience. FYI, there are no dogs, cats, or other animals in my parents home.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've traveled with birds for 12 hour long car trips, broken up into 2 days or all in one go, depending on the circumstances. I've always used rigid travel cages. If your vehicle is 2004 or newer, it must have car seat latch bars. I use these to secure the cages with zip ties or bungie cords (only if they can't reach them). Bring extras so you can replace them as needed when taking them out of the car.

A few hours before we leave, I change out their water for brewed chamomile tea mixed 50/50 water. This helps calm their nerves. I make extra and keep it in water bottles for later.

Cover half the cage with a towel so they can hide and have a sun shade if needed.

I stop every few hours to give them water or baby food on a spoon through the cage bars. Mine don't like to eat while moving so it gives them a chance to fuel up.

I use rope perches, and make sure they are placed so it runs from the front of the car to the back vs side to side. This helps them keep their balance and reduces car sickness. It's easier to hold onto rope than the dowel perch that comes with so many travel cages!