• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Necessary road trip - with the budgie boys

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! Yes, you are right...flapping next to the cage would be bad!

rosemary

Strolling the yard
@Kassiani mine were really freaked out too. One was breathing relatively fast. They will get used to it, I try to talk to them throughout and play them music. Mine are not used to it either though, it takes time I guess :smileflower:

rosemary

Strolling the yard
I wish I could feel good about it, but they spent most of the time hanging from the side of the cage. When I brought them back inside and opened the cage door, they flew straight to their flight cage (home). I thought they would really enjoy the sun and breeze and shade, but they didn't. I hope it's because they are just so accustomed to *not* being outside...please tell me this will get better for them in time if I'm patient! :( I'm so upset!
They will learn to enjoy it! I am hopeful for yours and mine! :hug8:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, @rosemary! There are so many things going on with the loss of my mother, trying to organize this service from out-of-state, worrying about my 91 yo father and how he's going to handle the service for mom...

I hope everyone can forgive me for freaking out about my budgie boys, too :( And I really am hopeful for a good life for them, too!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, @Miss_sj! I was thinking of buying one of those battery operated lights to keep in or on the travel cage or pack (whichever works!). I hope that will help, and I'm hoping I'll be off the road before dark each day!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sadly, they still think the backpack is a monster. However, I did target them from their flight cage, to an exterior rope perch, to a perch on the travel cage door...and then they saw the millet treats in the bottom of the cage and happily tore into those!

Ugh! This is all taking obscene amounts of millet! I console myself with the fact that I can get them back on track once I arrive at my parents. Plus, we'll be back into our normal routine once we get home next week. That will be a relief!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Late start yesterday and didn’t make it as far as I had hoped. I got off the road before dark so they and I could rest. Today will be a long day, but they ate and drank this morning. Soooo glad I brought the room air purifier with me :) It really helped in the hotel room last night!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Late start yesterday and didn’t make it as far as I had hoped. I got off the road before dark so they and I could rest. Today will be a long day, but they ate and drank this morning. Soooo glad I brought the room air purifier with me :) It really helped in the hotel room last night!
Glad they're doing well. I always travel with my largest Austin air purifier. It really hellps clear out the hotel/motel rooms.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
How is everything going? I see your budgies made the trip without event. Are you still there or on the road home? I hope everything went well with your mother's service and that you had a chance to visit (safely) with family.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mybluebird Thank you so much for asking! The service was very nice! It hit all the right notes for my Dad and for the other relatives who attended. I think Mom would have been pleased :) A few of the local farmers/friends turned out, too. Monday was a beautiful, fall day in Illinois with sun, upper 60's (F), and the leaves just starting to turn.

My budgie boys and I begin our return trip this morning. They've seemed quite happy during their stay, although they will be more comfortable in their flight cage at home, I'm quite sure! We will be on the road for whatever time we can take today, but I hope to get a little more driving done today than tomorrow. I'd like Thursday to be a shorter driving day and home well before dark.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Glad everything went well, so very important for memorial/funeral services. Happy driving and safe trip for all!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last day of driving today!! Thank heavens! I’m going to be so happy to let them back into their flight cage...and so will they :) They have been so brave this trip. I was amazed at how they reacted when people asked to meet them. Normally they freeze when people they don’t know come into the room, but they just kept doing their budgie thing!

I’m letting them have some time to eat their chop and groom and stretch this morning, then off we go!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@rosemary It's a Prevue flight cage. The largest one they had at that time. It is 32 inches across, 21 inches deep, and 35 inches tall. The corner shelf is also Prevue that I purchased about 2 months ago. They love it!

rosemary

Strolling the yard
@rosemary It's a Prevue flight cage. The largest one they had at that time. It is 32 inches across, 21 inches deep, and 35 inches tall. The corner shelf is also Prevue that I purchased about 2 months ago. They love it!
Great cage!!! That shelf seems really useful, maybe I'll purchase one at some point!