• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My School's Lonely Zebra Finch

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Lindsay, keep asking questions as you need to. All of us asked a zillion questions when we were getting started.

Also about the noise from the finch. This is so funny. I'm a musician and private music instructor. People would play (horribly) and others would say how can you stand to listen to that?? I never had a problem with it. And when I'm n the computer, I can block out any level of noise. I have a large flock from medium parrots down to finches, with all sorts of sounds. Love them.

But
The sounds a zebra finch makes drive me crazy!

so I feel for those who are bothered by it. It may not be the best classroom bird.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Lindsay, keep asking questions as you need to. All of us asked a zillion questions when we were getting started.

Also about the noise from the finch. This is so funny. I'm a musician and private music instructor. People would play (horribly) and others would say how can you stand to listen to that?? I never had a problem with it. And when I'm n the computer, I can block out any level of noise. I have a large flock from medium parrots down to finches, with all sorts of sounds. Love them.

But
The sounds a zebra finch makes drive me crazy!

so I feel for those who are bothered by it. It may not be the best classroom bird.
I'd have to agree with you on that.
I've heard macaws scream and quakers yelling and it was loud, but not too bad. But something about the zebra finch's calls is jarring for some reason. It may be just to suddenness of it or the tone of the calls but it's just very difficult to listen to. And I know a lot of my classmates think the same too because lots of people tend to complain about it.
I almost wonder if I shouldn't ask him about rehoming the poor bird, since so many people tend to complain and he doesn't seem to care all that much. But I'm worried on how to approach the subject, whether it's asking if he could get another female finch or if he'd like to rehome her, it just seems like a touchy subject.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe I am one of the odd balls who loves their little song. I really enjoyed hearing Peppy's song too. They learn their song from their fathers and then add a little of their own embellishments. Zippy and Peppy sound totally different.

@BirdField It may be an awkward conversation, but at the end of the day...you deal with some discomfort so that the little finch can find a lifelong happy life. If well cared for these little ones can live into the double digits. You have been the champion for this little finch, giving her a voice when no one else was listening. If you have an awkward conversation, come here tell us about it. We are here for you.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Awe I am one of the odd balls who loves their little song. I really enjoyed hearing Peppy's song too. They learn their song from their fathers and then add a little of their own embellishments. Zippy and Peppy sound totally different.

@BirdField It may be an awkward conversation, but at the end of the day...you deal with some discomfort so that the little finch can find a lifelong happy life. If well cared for these little ones can live into the double digits. You have been the champion for this little finch, giving her a voice when no one else was listening. If you have an awkward conversation, come here tell us about it. We are here for you.
You're completely right, it's worth the awkward conversation or two for her to get a better life. I just worry I'll mess up and the teacher won't want to listen to what I have to say. But I'll definitely be on here a lot asking for everyone's help, thank you so much for the support.
First thing's first, I need to get her into a decent situation with good perches, a clean cage, and places to hide. Hopefully that'll make my teacher trust me a bit more, and eventually maybe take some advice for rehoming or getting her a friend.
I can't thank you guys enough, this has helped me so much with both knowledge and confidence! Now it's just time I apply all of this. :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Even just denting up the dowels a little (not so much they splinter) would help. Or if y'all have a woodshop class, maybe the teacher might have some spare pine he could lathe to different thicknesses? Heck, might be a fun class project to make fun things for the other teacher's bird. :) A swing, a ladder... who knows what they could come up with using just scrap wood. Just amke sure you give a list of safe wood & metals.

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
I think keeping a singular finch in a cage is just disgraceful
No finch should be kept alone as they are social animals, and I see zebra finches in my own backyard in small to huge flocks
This is all IMO, but for the overall health of the bird, at least one more should be added
Thanks
Untitled.png

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think keeping a singular finch in a cage is just disgraceful
No finch should be kept alone as they are social animals, and I see zebra finches in my own backyard in small to huge flocks
This is all IMO, but for the overall health of the bird, at least one more should be added
Thanks

Did you read the posts? Birdfield is trying hard to create change; we're trying to give HELPFUL advice.

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till

Did you read the posts? Birdfield is trying hard to create change; we're trying to give HELPFUL advice.
I did read the posts finchly,
I have been breeding finches for 6 years, and I know for a fact that finches should always at least be paired up with another bird
I appreciate Birdfields efforts, In fact I highly commend him for his efforts, but pairing the Zebbie up is a cheap and effective investment to improve its overall health
Thanks

Untitled.png

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Once Birdfield isn't in that class anymore, the poor pair would be living in twice as much filth though. She's the ONLY person caring for them. Sadly the teacher isn't even giving minimally appropriate care and I'm surprised the current finch has lived this long. :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Once Birdfield isn't in that class anymore, the poor pair would be living in twice as much filth though. She's the ONLY person caring for them. Sadly the teacher isn't even giving minimally appropriate care and I'm surprised the current finch has lived this long. :(
Agree. I wouldn’t want to put another one through it.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If there was a way to ensure proper care and an adequate cage, a companion would be ideal.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If there was a way to ensure proper care and an adequate cage, a companion would be ideal.
I know! I mean, I think we discussed that in the beginning... but afaik the teacher hasn’t agreed to make positive changes.

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
Ok, I agree as well, I did not realise it was that bad until I re read the whole thread
I reckon take the bird away and put in it proper care then with OTHER BIRDS with someone else
Its the only hope
Trust me, if a bird is left in that much neglect nobody will notice its gone if someone were to steal or remove it and put it in proper care
In my primary school there used to be a few goldfish in a tank that was practically plastered in algae and was never fed and the filter was no longer working
I walked into class after the last bell rang, put them in a container and left, and the little fellas lived more than 3 happy years in my grandfathers pond
No body noticed until 2 months later, and did not care at all
Thanks
Untitled.png

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Sorry I haven't been on this week much, a lot going on. But I have an update. While I haven't yet managed to get much done, one of the teacher's other animals was adopted out to someone. So there is hope for this girl to be adopted out. I still don't know if he'd accept adopting out the finch, but the next time I get a chance in class I certainly be asking about her.
I don't know if I could long-term keep her, but if I can't I would be happy to take her in temporarily until finding her a home. Once again, I don't know if I will be able to get her out of there, but that would be the best case scenario at this point. I'd need to discuss it heavily with my parents first, but I'd be happy to take her in if my parents allow it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would be happy to take her in temporarily until finding her a home. Once again, I don't know if I will be able to get her out of there, but that would be the best case scenario at this point. I'd need to discuss it heavily with my parents first, but I'd be happy to take her in if my parents allow it.
That sounds like a good plan.
Ask your friends in class to make comments and complain to the teacher about the birds noise stopping them from concentrating ;)
I hope you will be able to take her home, she is not a good fit for the classroom, hopefully your teacher will see they made a mistake.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I know it's not healthy or helpful for the bird, but stop cleaning her cage & when she needs food or water, remind the teacher until he does it so he realizes how much work "just a bird" needs so he's less likely to get another in the future when he forgets how much care they need. Maybe even show him how to clean her cage properly instead of half-arsing it.