• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My Parakeet leg s injured. (sad update #15)

Aathi

Moving in
Real Name
Aathi
My Parakeet is 9 months old.He had a flying accident yesterday.His legs were inflamed and reddish with blood clots.His toes also injured.He s very weak.I got the appointment for vet next week Wednesday.I dnt want to wait until the appointment.How to make him feel better? How to reduce inflammation and Bruises? Any inputs? Pls help
Note: Vet only can help I know.No judging comments pls. I need some home remedies or over the counter medicine.

Attachments

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
You might want to make a hospital cage with a heating pad under the cage ..take out all perches or leave one low enough so if he falls it wont hurt him ..lots of good fresh food with clean water :strhng: I would try an emerg vet as well ...

Aathi

Moving in
Real Name
Aathi
There s no emergency vet available near by.I dnt know what to do..I applied turmeric. it didn't work. But it will help for infection I think so.. I am giving Hot compression to the inflamed leg.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
What was the accident did he fly into a window or something

can you see if he’s gripping with that foot can he grip your finger ? I am not sure if it’s broken or not

you really need a vet is their no chance to get him one sooner

I agre with @Tyrion set up a hospital cage

@Zara @Mizzely @Shezbug @Pixiebeak hoping one of these amazing people can give you some advice but I think you really need a vet

Aathi

Moving in
Real Name
Aathi
He was happily flying around the house.Suddenly he flew to the window and got hurt his leg. he s not using the injured leg.Its totally not working.he s using his another foot for grip. No emergency nearby.no avian doctor available till Wednesday. I set up the hospital cage.He s eating little.Any over the counter medicine for pain relief ?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
no avian doctor available till Wednesday
Try calling back and explain clearly what has happened. Wednesday is a long time to wait for a bird to see the vet. Ask if there´s any way you can be squeezed in somewhere as your bird is injured and likely in pain.
Calling and asking for an appointment puts you at the back of the line, sometimes the vet can see you before that if they know what´s going on.
edit, you could also try emailing them that photograph and asking they please show the vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please call the vet you are planning on seeing, ask if they have any emergency appointments. Basically the only thing you can do is keep him quiet hydrated and warm like hospital cage. Do not use any over the counter medicine because the dosages are too hard figure out

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is an emergency because this bird is suffering from an injury. You are the guardian of this bird so do call back and let them know you need an immediate vet exam. If they do not respond to you ask who they recommend. If the leg is fractured or broken time is of the essence. This is not a treat at home type of injury.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
im so sorry your baby was injured ! Im so sorry the veterinarian isn't understanding the urgency.

I wouldn't touch the hurt leg or put anything on it.
I would roll up in a loose roll a wash cloth or smal towel in a c shape. And place that around him on his un injured leg side . To sort if support him and he can lean on it if needed. But leave the space open around the hurt leg.
I might try clipping a heating pad on the outside side of cage on low. Maybe even put a sheet or pillow case on the outside of bars then the heating pad on the outside of the sheet on the outside side of the Cage. Making very sure he doesn't over heat as he csnt move away. Making sure no plastic will melt or any fire risk.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can put a soft folded towel on cage bottom with newspaper over it in case of a fall. The hospital cage as suggested is a good idea.

Aathi

Moving in
Real Name
Aathi
#sad update
I lost my baby one hour ago. He was a very good pet.I am going to miss him forever.
Thanks for the help and U guys r doing a great job by providing advises and being supportive to the one who r going through the tough phase with pets.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry:sadhug:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor baby :(

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:sadhug2::sad3:
Im sorry for you loss.

Accidents can happen when they are learning to fly. Even when taking precautions with windows and mirrors.

I ultimately lost a budgie who spooked inside his own cage...just managed to hit his head wrong....

Im really sorry this happened to both of you.
Big hugs

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry to hear of your loss :(

rocky'smom