• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My finch can't fly (sad update #7)

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
My male Eurasian Siskin, because of it's small size, was bit on the wing by my budgie 3-4 days ago. He lost some blood but everything was ok. Today I saw him on the floor of the flight cage. I bring out some food for them to eat and there he is, still on the bottom, eating leaves that the other birds dropped. I got some other cage which I cleaned for the finch. The finch is now separated, jumps around the cage but cannot fly. I wanted to test it out if he can fly out of his cage in my room, he cannot. I also cleaned his dirty feathers, in hope that he would fly, didn't work(he doesn't like to bathe). I checked the wings, there is only a bite mark the budgie left, nothing broken. I covered the bite mark with flour. What should I do? How can I help my bird without involving the vets?

Also, despite being a wild bird, he eats from my hand, which is really unusual :huh:

Jogging around the block
Would you be able to get a photo of the wound and/or the wing? Just to help get an idea of how bad the injury is.

Is he eating, active, not showing any other signs of sickness?

@Birdbabe

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
Here are some photos and a video of the bird sleeping. Is his tail bobbing? Also, the wound, there is a drop of blood again. I just put some flour again and there he is preening his feathers where his wound is.
He is eating, drinking, but he's inactive during the day, curled in a ball and sits where the food bowl is. He is only active in my presence, jumping from perch to perch. He doesn't sing.

Here is the video
Siskin sleeping

Attachments

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
I would take him to the vet, but the vets in my area don't have experience with birds. Can I somehow help him myself?
I have some medicines for wounds, such as Iodum, Pantenol spray, some kind of powder for wound healing my mom suggested to use on the bird.

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
He died today. He was sleeping all day, he wouldn't flinch, he wasn't eating or drinking. He moved at some point. To ease his pain and help him regenerate his wounds faster, I gave him Iodum and the powder (bismut subgallate). After about an hour I saw him lying on the floor, not standing. He was still alive. I picked him up and after 10 minutes he died in my hands, shaking. Siskins are so delicate, I had to think twice before introducing the budgie in the flight cage..
R.I.P.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
In my opinion, budgies and finches don't belong together. :(

I am so sorry you had to go through this. Wings seem to be so delicate, even when it seems nothing is broken - sometimes they still can't fly. And yes, your beautiful siskin was very delicate.

Hopefully you have other finches.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m sorry for your loss.

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
Thank you for your condolences. I see now why small finches or any kind of finches don't belong with budgies. Yes, I still have my other finches, they are okay. About the budgie, that's not her fault, and I am not mad at her. For some time I thought about how she is unhappy and lonely here. I want to rehome her in a home with other budgies since I don't want to buy more budgies. It will be hard to give her away because we shared some sweet memories when she had trust in me(now she doesn't since we had to grab her for scaly mite treatment), but it's for her best.
I'll do better from now on.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you for your condolences. I see now why small finches or any kind of finches don't belong with budgies. Yes, I still have my other finches, they are okay. About the budgie, that's not her fault, and I am not mad at her. For some time I thought about how she is unhappy and lonely here. I want to rehome her in a home with other budgies since I don't want to buy more budgies. It will be hard to give her away because we shared some sweet memories when she had trust in me(now she doesn't since we had to grab her for scaly mite treatment), but it's for her best.
I'll do better from now on.
If you want companionship for your Budgie get another Budgie.
And you're finches would benefit with the same species. Please keep them safe and separate .
To avoid any more trauma and injury .

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
If you want companionship for your Budgie get another Budgie.
And you're finches would benefit with the same species. Please keep them safe and separate .
To avoid any more trauma and injury .
I definitely would get another budgie, the problem is there isn't enough space for the both of them. I have 2 more cages, but they are small for the 2 of them. If nobody wants her, I'll just buy or make a new cage for her and her friend.
I'll also get a male goldfinch in the future for my female one, and the 2 canaries I have don't need company for now because they hang out with each other.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm sorry for your loss, but placing this here as a warning that this likely didn't help.

To ease his pain and help him regenerate his wounds faster, I gave him Iodum and the powder (bismut subgallate)

... and iodum looks equally like something to be avoided.

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
I'm sorry for your loss, but placing this here as a warning that this likely didn't help.

... and iodum looks equally like something to be avoided.
A week later in chemistry class our teacher said that halogen elements are toxic, and Iodine is a halogen element..
I grabbed whatever I can for wound treatment, didn't know that Iodine and Bismuth subgallate are that toxic for birds.
Next time I'll use something safe and I'll try my best.