• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Conure Questions!

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Hey all! I have been wanting a conure for quite a while, and have a couple questions.
  1. How big does their cage need to be? mine would probably be outside the cage a lot of the time
  2. Would a Conure be a good fit for a family of seven? The youngest is 7, but they all know how to behave around animals and would be supervised
  3. Male or female? Which one is typically quieter, more docile, and better suited for our larger family?
  4. Would a cockatiel or other bird be a better fit based on what I’ve said above?
This probably wouldn’t be happening soon, I just like to know things far in advance ;)

thanks so much!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Regarding cage size, you'll want bar spacing that's no more than 5/8ths of and inch. For Green Cheeks, the minimum dimensions would be 24x24 and up, and for a larger Sun Conure I'd suggest a bit more room starting at 24x32. Bigger is better, even if it's primarily a sleep cage.

Green Cheeks are quite gregarious, and mine interacts well with visitors (and by "well" I mean she's friendly, but also very curious and won't leave them alone). I've read that Conures will bond with multiple people, but I live alone, so I have no direct experience with a dynamic such as your 7 person abode. That's quite interesting to me, and one of the reasons I wanted to follow your post.

I've observed no difference between male and female Green Cheeks with respect to behaviour, and I wouldn't exactly place them on the "docile" end of the spectrum. They're quite energetic, and I've known one or two that didn't appear to know the power of their little beak.

What species are you thinking of?
How do you envision the dynamic between a new bird and your existing Budgie?
What is the dynamic with the 7 people in your home and the Budgie, and is it expected to be similar with a Conure?

Perhaps the answers to those questions might shine additional light on whether a Conure, or other species, is the right addition.

Last edited:

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
What species are you thinking of?
How do you envision the dynamic between a new bird and your existing Budgie?
What is the dynamic with the 7 people in your home and the Budgie, and is it expected to be similar with a Conure?
I don’t really know what species yet, I probably haven’t done enough research on the different ones yet to know what would be best, I’m open to suggestions!
Like how they would get along? My Budgie is in my bedroom, and is still pretty shy, and I’ve only brought her downstairs once, so they wouldn’t have to get along, or one could come out while the other is in their cage.
She is so far only comfortable around me, but the conure would preferably be comfortable with everyone in the house, and I understand that it would maybe take some time to get to that. I would probably try to get one from a breeder that was hand raised.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It completely depends on what species you wanted. What I tell you for a Maroon belly is going to be very different than for a Blue Crown or Mitred.
Conures do have generalities though, they tend towards noisy and they can be bitey or mouthy. Does this mean they all will be? No. And every bird, no matter the species or gender, will always have it’s own unique personality. I do not have a gender preference- I’ve had great cuddly snuggle bugs of both sexes and independent (hands off) of both.

However, you mentioned “Quiet” and “Docile” in your needs. To me, that says you should look into adopting an adult Cockatiel that you get to see and know it’s personality before bringing it home. Or, another budgie.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
My Budgie is in my bedroom, and is still pretty shy, and I’ve only brought her downstairs once... She is so far only comfortable around me, but the conure would preferably be comfortable with everyone in the house
How long have you had your Budgie? Would you say there's still work to be done with the bond between you & your family, and the current little guy?
It's usually best to solidify the relationship we have with our existing birds before adding the complexity of another to the mix.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WOW-- Research... research... research. And visit some adults if you can. Birds are not a 'normal pet!' And they live a LONG TIME.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
How long have you had your Budgie? Would you say there's still work to be done with the bond between you & your family, and the current little guy?
It's usually best to solidify the relationship we have with our existing birds before adding the complexity of another to the mix.
Since February. There is still work to be done with the Tango and me, but no one else has to bond/wants to bond with her.
The conure/cocktail would be more of a family bird, where Tango is more my bird.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
WOW-- Research... research... research. And visit some adults if you can. Birds are not a 'normal pet!' And they live a LONG TIME.
I have done, and will continue to do research. The reason I asked my questions here was because I would like them to be answered by people who have real bird experience and not just google.
I know that they aren’t normal pets, I thought about getting a budgie for years before I got Tango, and I’m prepared to care for them for as long as they live.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
I have a sun conure. I would say they are usually one person birds, but mine gets along well with the whole family. I do think cockatiels are more family birds though, they are more calm (in my experience) and are sweet birds that enjoy shoulder rides. But it depends on the individual bird

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
I have a sun conure. I would say they are usually one person birds, but mine gets along well with the whole family. I do think cockatiels are more family birds though, they are more calm (in my experience) and are sweet birds that enjoy shoulder rides. But it depends on the individual bird
Thanks!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Since February. There is still work to be done with the Tango and me, but no one else has to bond/wants to bond with her.
The conure/cocktail would be more of a family bird, where Tango is more my bird.
What would make the new bird more of a family bird, when no one else has wanted to bond the the Budgie?

Being a sole caregiver to my flock, this is where I'm out of my element... the dynamics and complexity of a multi-person household in relation to pet birds.

Even living alone, being the only person who can open and close doors, I've ensured I have double doors on all exits to ensure my birds can't escape, and the window screens are well maintained and I know which windows are open at any given time. I conduct phone calls and other focus time activities when they're napping and quiet (aligning my schedule to theirs as well as theirs to mine). I can't imagine what it would be like to worry about the needs of 6 other people, and their activities and comings & goings... and which species might best align with that.

Maybe the question to pose in the forum is something about "Keeping birds in a large family household"?
Or, maybe you're so used to that, that you don't give it a second thought, but... I'm baffled. :)

I'm happy to answer Green Cheek Conure questions in this thread.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
What would make the new bird more of a family bird, when no one else has wanted to bond the the Budgie?
She’s just more of a me bird. She doesn’t trust anyone else and is very flighty, and my family wouldn’t do well with that

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hey all! I have been wanting a conure for quite a while, and have a couple questions.
  1. How big does their cage need to be? mine would probably be outside the cage a lot of the time
  2. Would a Conure be a good fit for a family of seven? The youngest is 7, but they all know how to behave around animals and would be supervised
  3. Male or female? Which one is typically quieter, more docile, and better suited for our larger family?
  4. Would a cockatiel or other bird be a better fit based on what I’ve said above?
This probably wouldn’t be happening soon, I just like to know things far in advance ;)

thanks so much!

I just adopted a rose crowned conure from a family on Tuesday. She came out of her cage and sat on us on Wednesday. She is very social, even though she is nine and we are her fourth home. The family she was most recently with had two kids, 2 and 6, I believe. I was told that she did not bite them but she has bitten us several times. It may just be that we are new and she is scared, even though we have been very careful. My kids are teenagers who sometimes don't think I know what I'm talking about. :laughing6: She is very protective of her cage and nailed me this morning when I was feeding her. Tomorrow, I will l get her out of her cage before I feed her. LOL

FYI, her cage is 31"x21"x42". Conures like snuggly spaces and could easily be sat on under a blanket or between couch cushions, etc. Kitchens are never safe spaces for birds. I am nearly finished creating a bird room. In it, my conure and linnie will be able to free fly (assuming they get along, if not, they'll have to take turns) but my canary will stay in his cage. I'll have a desk, computer, and comfy chair in there and spend most of my non-work days in with them.

Pyrrhura conures are quieter and less aggressive, generally, from what I have read, than Aratingas. Maybe your conure and budgie will eventually get along?