• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel is puking up a green liquid

Sphenisciforme

Moving in
I’ve had my cockatiel for 3 months now and all has been well. Though about 15 minutes ago I noticed him doing something really weird. At first he reels back his head as if he’s about to clean his feathers right below the neck. Then he shakes his head like a dog and a green liquid/paste flies everywhere. I don’t know if it’s from his mouth or nose or what but it goes all over the wall. The paste consists of green liquid, soft chunks of something (almost like rice) and seeds. A few weeks ago I noticed this stuff on the wall and didn’t think much of it. Also he’s been eating quite a lot of broccoli lately. I’ve been planning on taking him to the vet soon. What’s going on?

Attachments

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Don't have a Tiel but my babies eat broccoli all the time and I've not seen them puke green liquid. At most, I was giving her a lot of spinach and her poop looked funny so doctor told me to switch to broccoli and I haven't had any issues since. Birds don't usually have a lot of liquid in them to begin with. If he is vomiting, he may become dehydrated which is really of concern.

Please take him in. Better safe than sorry.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That sounds like vomiting, not regurgitation and it could have many causes - very few of them good. Your bird needs to go to the vet soon.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Go to the vet. It could be nothing, or it could be something. If he's eating too fast, it could be a stuck seed or something. BUT I wouldn't risk it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he's okay, and please let us know what the vet says!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is your 'tiel? Hope he will be OK. Keep us updated.