• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Cockateil Oliver!

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
(I do not know how to use forums so i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right place please let me know if not.)
Hello my name is Grace, I am a minor and I got my first cockateil on the 26th and his name is Oliver. He is 5 months old with grey, yellow, black and white colors. The breeder i got him from hand fed him. The only thing i didn't like is that they clipped his wings. I had a few questions about his behavior i would like to ask you as I've never really dealt with this kind of bird. I have 2 little parakeets so i know the small basics, but this kind of bird is different than what i expected. (in a good way)
So.. here is what i wanted to ask.
1) He does this grinding thing with his beak and then rubs his beak on his perch. What does this mean?
2) He looks at me and chirps a lot then he trys to fly to me, but the cage stops him. After that he just stars climbing the walls of his cage and falling down. Yesterday he did it and i opened the cage and he just flew right out.
3) He let me pick him up when he was out of the cage but when i put him back in, awhile later i stuck my hand in to see how he would react then he hissed at me. What does this mean?
Thank you for your support! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Oliver!
The grinding you mention is a sign of a contented, happy bird. :)

A bird considers his cage his safety zone. When you put your hand in his cage, Oliver wasn't happy about it, therefore you got hissed.

That's all right, though..now you know more about your new charge. I know there'll be other roadies coming along to give you their thoughts.

Again, welcome to you both....:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Oliver.
1) Normal behavior. He is happy.
2) He wants to come out of the cage and fly around. You can do some training with that and also work with him to fly to you. You can clicker train him. Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books
3) He may be cage territorial. Hissing = angry or scared.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I agree with the other posters. Neither of my cockatiels want my hands in their cages. They will come out on their doors and will then step up. But Hands in cage a big big no no to them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on Oliver, you will have to post pictures soon!

Everyone already answered your questions, but I will say that it sounds like he is already starting to trust you since he wants to try and fly to you, and he stepped up when he was outside his cage. Maybe try putting a perch right outside the door to his cage. That way he can climb out onto the perch when he wants you to come get him.

I give my tiels a little millet berry by hand every time I put them back in their cage so they get used to my hands being near their cage, and they get rewarded for going home. Just remember to never force him to do anything, and respect his body language so he will trust you completely.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Congratulations on Oliver, you will have to post pictures soon!

Everyone already answered your questions, but I will say that it sounds like he is already starting to trust you since he wants to try and fly to you, and he stepped up when he was outside his cage. Maybe try putting a perch right outside the door to his cage. That way he can climb out onto the perch when he wants you to come get him.

I give my tiels a little millet berry by hand every time I put them back in their cage so they get used to my hands being near their cage, and they get rewarded for going home. Just remember to never force him to do anything, and respect his body language so he will trust you completely.
My mother hand made him a nice big perch. We are going to add toys and fun stuff for him to do on it later. He likes spending time on it :)