• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockateil hen has a swollen vent!!! ⚠️

Kikinkiko

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a pair of cockateils both 2 yrs old.
My hen has a swollen vent since two days which is looking very prominent since today morning. She is pooping normally. No fluffing up or perching at the bottom of the cage. No laboured breathing. No excessive pecking/preening near the vent.
My pair has been mating excessively since a month. They have been trying since many months but she hasn't laid any yet.
I got them a year ago at 1 year old and the breeder didn't give much details but I am guessing she hasn't laid any eggs before.
Could this be a sign that she's about to lay an egg or could it be because of bacterial/viral infection?:( IMG_20200226_160641__01.jpg IMG_20200130_162359.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Kikinkiko

That looks hormonal to me but I would monitor closely and go to the vet if she starts acting unwell in any way.
Oh that's such a relief to hear! Thank you so much! You must be right because she's become obsessed with mating. She crouches to mate the moment my male makes heart wings! Doesn't even let him sing!
How do I discourage this and break this hormonal cycle??

Kikinkiko

UPDATE :
my baby got super agressive today and attacked my male teil for a while till I separated them. Now he's scared for his life poor baby. Is this hormonal behavior??? Is it possible that she's frustrated because she hasn't been able to lay any eggs yet? Because, they have literally been trying everyday. Do birds have fertility issues too?
Please help!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump7:
I don´t know about ´Tiels, but my lovebird hens get nasty when they are hormonal.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, birds can have fertility issues.

I knew of someone on another forum that had a male cockatiel and decided to adopt another male cockatiel from a rescue.... that bird was actually a female! Apparently, the two birds were so randy that they mated just about every day (if not every day) for 1-2 years without any eggs being produced! Now, that is quite unusual!

Your hen may be "with egg", but as long as she's behaving normal otherwise and able to go to the bathroom, best to wait it out and see if she lays the egg. However, there could be another issue going on that may require seeing a vet.