• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My canary is sitting in his food bowl all day. Is this normal?

ella43x

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ella
My male canary has been consistently sitting in his food bowl for the past 2 weeks. He is still eating and drinking but hasn’t been singing at all, yet he used to sing constantly. Is this normal behaviour? Could he be moulting? We’re unsure what to do. Any help is appreciated :)

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
My guy took up residence in a food location during his molt. He's finally coming out more and starting to sing again.

@finchly knows more about it, though.

arayabd

Meeting neighbors
Wow! I just posted a very similar question! Perhaps it is molting since my canary is experiencing the same thing! And perhaps my canary is not a girl like I thought....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Are we sure it's a male?

My first guess is that it's a hen. If it is having that much trouble molting, try giving it featherrific or another molt formula. Are you seeing floofies *(little feathers) flying around? I enlarged your photo and don't see evidence of molt but that doesn't mean too much.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Glad I found this thread. My male lizard canary is also sitting in his seed dish. I think he’s molting too. He still sings. Seems fine otherwise.

Attachments

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I gave him an empty feed dish just like the one he’s sitting in but he’s not interested in that one. I change the seed every day. Is this something to worry about?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I gave him an empty feed dish just like the one he’s sitting in but he’s not interested in that one. I change the seed every day. Is this something to worry about?
No. They’re just weird.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Lol! Well then he's picked the right owner in me.

Tbeard1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tammy Beard
I see others have canaries that also sleep in their food dish but i dont see much in explanations. I got my bird about 2 years ago. Was told he was s male but he never dings, barely tweets, now this. Cant figure him iut.