• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My blue front rescued amazon !

Oche16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cheryl
Hi everyone !
New here! My hub and I own an Africsn Zgray , Yoda , and a Blue Front Amaxon .
They r 26 and 28
We have had the gray since 8 weeks old .
2 years ago I list a Ue Front Amazon , Zeke, my love!!
I then rescued Buddy , my blue front , from an old lady who never let him out of the cage and never held him and he had a thin rope perch and that was it!!!!!
I have now owned him a year and totally love him!!! He is out of the cage a the time now.
When we first got him we kept the cage door open a the time, he first had to learn how to go from perch to perch as we got him various size perches, poor baby didn't know how to do it!
He lives mostly put of the cage now and climbs a over the cage, he loves me, puts his head down for me to scratch his head, tries sooooo hard to talk, he says hello in an old lady's voice, but now is trying to say different things. !
I talk to him all the time !
He puts one foot on my finger but not the second one yet.
My hub doesn't think he wi ever put both feet on my finger, I say he's wrong!
What does everyone think?
Also, he lives to lie on his back and play with me. He's really a clown !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on taking this zon in. Please post some pics when you can.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hubby is wrong! He will someday put both feet on you. Your patience and love will make that happen. Who knows when (birds have their own timetable), but it will happen.

I agree...I want to see some pictures!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are very beautiful! Please be so careful with them outside. ;)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

My beautiful Buddy and Yoda, our African Gray
Buddy's name was Tyler but I changed it to my Buddy!

Oh my! He is absolutely stunning. I love the first pic and also the one with his flock mate Mr Grey! Thanks for taking the time to take and post the pics.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
absolutely beautiful!

we have 2 blue front amazons. Your birds are just plain gorgeous!

I understand why the poster mentioned to be careful. When I was in a seminar in another state, one of the Vets told a story of how one of their clients had their bird with them in their car and I think they had the moon roof open a tad bit . . . they weren't worried because their parrot was secured inside the car (maybe a harnass?). While they ran in the store, their bird was killed (can't remember the kind of bird that flew through the moon roof and grabbed it). It was a horrible thing for that owner to see when he returned to his car.

I'm a worry wart - I take mine out to a screened in porch and won't let them be there by themselves . . . . . worried that something will come through the screen and get 'em. I have heard something call out and seen two super alert birds. This worry wart was hauling birds in as fast as possible.

Yirabeth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
Beautiful BFA! My ♥ species ♥ The Grey is lovely too :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
they are beautiful....I would hate to see them fly away and get lost..especially considering their ag es...a gust of wind, a loud noise and they could be off and flying., even when clipped

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
They are both truly beautiful. I love all Amazons they are such awesome birds. People who see a bird outside without a harness will always ask about them being clipped or giving a forewarn about flying away. Even the most tame bird can startle and get scared, if they are good skilled flyers I would be very careful. Mine could never go out like that ever, they are too skilled at flying and even take off flying in the house when alarmed at the dogs barking. Just please be very careful, losing a bird to the outdoors is so scary.

Noob

Walking the driveway
Real Name
R.R.A.&C.L.A.
They are both truly beautiful. I love all Amazons they are such awesome birds. People who see a bird outside without a harness will always ask about them being clipped or giving a forewarn about flying away. Even the most tame bird can startle and get scared, if they are good skilled flyers I would be very careful. Mine could never go out like that ever, they are too skilled at flying and even take off flying in the house when alarmed at the dogs barking. Just please be very careful, losing a bird to the outdoors is so scary.
Agreed, didn't think much of taking my severe outside with clipped wings, did it several times. He grew back 2 flight feathers, 1 on each wing, still didn't think much of it. One lawnmower start later and he flew minimum 350 ft and 40 ft high into a tree line as a panic. Very lucky once we located him he came right to me. NEVER AGAIN just fyi panic will create instinctive reaction

Oche16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cheryl
I understand everyone's concern, believe me, please b assured we r extremely careful with our birds
IBM in desperate need of a bird sitter , we r new here in Florida and don't know where to turn to find one here
Any help will b much appreciated please and thank u

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oche16 just be very careful, even a slightly clipped bird can still fly. Better to be safe than sorry. Birds get out by slipping out of the house visit the 911 forum here lost birds every day. Harnesses are great but even better if you can get outside cages, they are safe from predatory birds and trust me I lived in FL for years, there are hawks galore, turkey vultures, so not to be a hard butt to you but you have been warned. :)

Oche16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cheryl
I know there r hawks and turkey butchers here
We have been coming here for 20 years but permanently live here since July
We r very good parents, u had already "warned "me once, no need to do it twice .
I told u I appreciated your concern, now please can we get on another subject like how old r your birds and what r their names ?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I know there r hawks and turkey butchers here
We have been coming here for 20 years but permanently live here since July
We r very good parents, u had already "warned "me once, no need to do it twice .
I told u I appreciated your concern, now please can we get on another subject like how old r your birds and what r their names ?

My Amazons are both boys, the Red Lored is Hoosier and he will be 6 this month on the 17th and Kazoo my Mealy just turned 4 yrs old in May. My little Parrotlet, JP also a boy just turned 14 yrs old on June 30th.

Oche16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cheryl
They sound awesome!
Our Yoda is 26, our African Gray, and my dear rescued Blue Front Amazon is 28 and is a love with me
I lost a blue front amazon a year and half ago with a terrible eye infection , I had to put him down because he was in so much pain
I was devastated and didn't get off my couch for an entire weekend
Our Gray was in mourning too, that's when we got close , I knew she realized how upset I was.
We know she is a girl because she has laid 5 underutilized eggs of course which is not good because it depletes their calcium.
She hasn't laid an egg tho in a year which is great!!!