• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MY BIRD ATTACKS

Mangito

Moving in
So I have a sun conure who likes to attack little children :/ He started doing this when my 10 year old brother started to mock him or annoy my sun conure. My conure did get annoyed and started flying on his face to bite him. My brother annoyed him even more so J told him to stop.he is not bothering my bird anymore but my sun conure still gets mad Here and there. I had some new family come over last week and he got really mad at them and he started doing his mad dance. I’m pretty sure he hates new people and people who mock him. I also think it’s weird that he likes to bite human feet

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A lot of birds don't do well around children. Many kids tend to be loud, move too quickly, don't respect their boundaries or are mean to them. Because birds can be unpredictable, I never let my cockatoo around small children. If you want him to be better around people, I would pick a person or two to come over while he's in his cage, try hand feeding some treats, etc and showing him that people can be nice. I would not let your brother near him. It's not fair to your bird.

Mangito

Moving in
A lot of birds don't do well around children. Many kids tend to be loud, move too quickly, don't respect their boundaries or are mean to them. Because birds can be unpredictable, I never let my cockatoo around small children. If you want him to be better around people, I would pick a person or two to come over while he's in his cage, try hand feeding some treats, etc and showing him that people can be nice. I would not let your brother near him. It's not fair to your bird.
Thanks. I don’t let anyone bother my bird anymore for sure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
brother started to mock him or annoy my sun conure. My conure did get annoyed and started flying on his face to bite him. My brother annoyed him even more
I had some new family come over last week and he got really mad at them and he started doing his mad dance. I’m pretty sure he hates new people and people who mock him.
Your little brother is only a small child but to your bird he was a huge giant that was mocking him and bothering him. It either frightened your bird, or stressed him and that triggered the biting. When your brother then proceeded to pester your bird even more, it only made things worse. It´s no surprise that you bird will act this way always around your brother, remembering the actions he did to the bird.
This could have caused your bird to feel threatened, scared or stressed by all humans that are not you. And in turn, this causes more biting an ¨anger¨ displays.

Birds do not hate. They do not get annoyed or angry. They get scared, stressed, or feel threatened.

Sunnysmom gave great tips above. Hopefully slowly, slowly you can show your bird that not all people are scary and some give tasty treats and respect your birds space.
If you struggle managing your brother (keeping him away), ask your parents to talk to him.

Mangito

Moving in
Ye
Definitely!! I don’t let anyone get to my precious bird anymore