• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My baby cockatiel is hissing.

Should I be worried?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bearpaw322

Checking out the neighborhood
My 9 week old female cockatiel is hissing and night when she is in her cage and I put a cover on. She has a big cage and I use a light sheet to cover her cage. I’m not sure if I should be concerned or if I should take off the sheet but she doesn’t like to be locked in her cage and she doesn’t like being alone.I have a night light on for her because I’m not sure if she maybe afraid of the dark. She’s not constantly doing it she does sleep but If I have to walk past her cage I can hear her hissing and i can hear her hissing even when I’m not walking past. I’ve had her for a week and 1 day. Other wise she seems pretty heathy other then she has a bit of a chip on her beeck but it doesn’t affect her eating and it’s getting better. I just want to know if I should be worried about her hissing.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Is she weaned?

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
You could try a night light. She's still new to her surroundings, so it might make her less nervous. Maybe one of her toys is "scary?"

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would definitely use a night light near her cage because cockatiels are sensitive and may get night frights. I use a special night lamp that clips on to the cage at night. It is LED and has a red glow that does not interfere with a birds sleep cycle.

I purchased this one for my budgies that were having night frights and since I started using it a year ago there have been no more occurrences.

Bird Night Fright Night Light Clamp Light With Bulb [5140301004] - $20.00 :

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your new friend.

Obviously, her hissing is a result of her fearing something...perhaps she does hear when you go by...or even when you're in the vicinity. Maybe you could talk to her- in a calm and soft voice-as you walk by her. Reassure her everything's OK...and it will remain that way.

She is a cutie...what's her name?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is she eating ok? I would keep an eye on her weight. Baby tiels can make a stactic noise when they are hungry and sometimes regress and need to be hand fed.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Can you get a video of her hissing? Maybe it’s not hissing like @sunnysmom suggested, but more of a static cry for food or comfort. 9 weeks is still very young, and babies don’t frequently hiss. That’s more of an adult behavior that is due to fear or anger.

Holly21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Deana
Holly hisses when I walk past her cage and my computer light is on she is terrified of any sort of shadow when she is covered

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
One thing is for sure... cockatiels are sleeping divas!!! Almost every cockatiel out there *does not* like to be disturbed once they're ready for bred or attempting to sleep! Any and all disturbances will be met with a hiss!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
One thing is for sure... cockatiels are sleeping divas!!! Almost every cockatiel out there *does not* like to be disturbed once they're ready for bred or attempting to sleep! Any and all disturbances will be met with a hiss!
That is so true! My cockatiels love their sleep time and are always so excited about going to bed. If I’m late putting them to bed, they all yell at me loudly, especially Sunset. She really likes to get her beauty sleep!
:lol:

Michela Smith

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Michela
Alfred did the same thing. I’ve finally perfected Alfred sleep set up and he hasn’t had a nightfright or hissed in his sleep in a while. His cage is in the corner of my room and I cover all four sides but one facing the majority of the room so that he can see everything and I crack the closet door so that the room is dimly lit. A night light would work the same as the closet. He is more comfortable when he can see more.