• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moustache Parakeet - Do you know them?

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi all, happy weekend..

A friend has given me a Moustache parakeet (aka red breasted parakeet or java parakeet).
I named her melon. It could be a juvenile as my friend had it for barely 3 months and was also given to him by someone.
He couldn’t handle the bird as the family found it very noisy and unfriendly.

To my surprise, this female bird is much quieter than the cockatiels and is not as fierce as i thought it to be. Moustache Parakeet doesn’t seem popular here and there aren’t much information about them too. (Most of the articles I read from the websites are more or less copied from each other).

Do you happen to keep one? I would like to hear from you about this breed.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Attachments

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Mustache parakeets are such cool birds, but unfortunately I don't have any experience with them. Melon is such a cutie though!

@SamatranTiger has a moustache parakeet though, and might be able to answer some of your questions about them

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
They are quite popular here in Turkey and I absolutely adore them. Here we call them Derbian parrots, is that thr same thing?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome Melon! What a cutie!

Part of the quietness is likely from everything being new. Also considering her eye colour, I think she is pretty young likely under one year. Her full colouration can take up to 3 years to come in. Is she a DNA'ed female? If not you may end up with a male. Astatics can definitely be chirpy and raucous though more so when in larger groups. You will probably find they have a more relaxed temperament, but all birds are unique. Females can become very territorial of their nest so keep that in mind, you want to do what you can to curb nesting. Give her lots of stimulating foraging and puzzle toys. These birds are impressively intelligent, and the more you give her to engage with the better. You must provide wooden chews for beak health, these guys can chew a wide range of woods. Work with her to discover her favourites, there will likely be a pile of saw dust everyday! The major thing to know is that they do not allopreen (meaning they don't have a friend bird help them with pin feathers). This is very different than cockatiels. I suggest that you refrain from body and head touch 100%. you should only have her step up and such, but never try and "scritch". Even if you see people doing this to Asiatics online, it isn't really acceptable. This touch is very stimulating for them, and it is pretty inappropriate for a bird you want to keep in the friend zone. I never scritch my asiatic, he is a plumhead, and since he never has me invade his special space, he has come to trust me in a way that I never imagined. Touch is seriously overrated, there is so much you can do without it. If you have more questions please ask :)

@dollfish Derbian are different :) They are also asiatic, but they are a larger species from a slightly different region at least in terms of their homeland. They surely look similar though! Especially when babies.

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi fashionfobie,

She has been with me for almost a month now. sill fairly quiet but hyperactive and you are right! She is such a chewer and can destroy a 3 tiers calcium block within a day. I thought this breed is of sexual dimorphism, where the female beak will be of darker brown or even black. also, she doesn’t have the longer tail feathers found in the male bird.

I am not suppose to scritch the bird? Oh dear, I have been doing that everyday and she seems tamed and not biting me at all. She would solicit by putting her head down as she comes to me —So much to learn about the breed.

This bird loves vegetables a lot and readily eat all kinds of fruits and vegetables (even chilli) when served. This is very different from my cockatiels, which only eat dry pellets and seeds.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Regards,

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hi fashionfobie,

She has been with me for almost a month now. sill fairly quiet but hyperactive and you are right! She is such a chewer and can destroy a 3 tiers calcium block within a day. I thought this breed is of sexual dimorphism, where the female beak will be of darker brown or even black. also, she doesn’t have the longer tail feathers found in the male bird.

I am not suppose to scritch the bird? Oh dear, I have been doing that everyday and she seems tamed and not biting me at all. She would solicit by putting her head down as she comes to me —So much to learn about the breed.

This bird loves vegetables a lot and readily eat all kinds of fruits and vegetables (even chilli) when served. This is very different from my cockatiels, which only eat dry pellets and seeds.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Regards,
I may remove the calcium block if she is destroying it that question quickly. It will be healthier for her to have wood chews.

The species is sexually dimorphic, however it takes up to 3 years for mature plumage. If she wasn't DNA tested you are simply guessing until she gets older. You could also have a vet do a test for you at your next appointment. The female will have a longer tail than what hers currently is, she is just still growing :)

Yes babies will deal with some scritching, but for her own wellbeing I would stop. Just let her hang out with you, adventure and play. No need to touch. I promise! It will be worth it in the long run. Especially as she matures.

It is awesome that you have her eating fresh!! Well done. When she is young she should be willing to try a wide range and as she ages she may become more suspicious of new things, so take advantage of this time to share lots and lots of safe and healthy veggie options. Snow peas, green beans , zucchini, sweat potato and pumpkin ... The list goes on :)

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi fashionfobie,

She has both to chew on, she is a destroyer no matter calcium block or wood.
You mean it stands a chance for her beak to turn to red? That would be something interesting to watch then.

I am surprised that she loves fruit and veggies readily as I’ve been trying hard to get my cockatiels to eat fruit and veggies until I give up. Her favourite so far are maize, grape, chili and apples. So far, i have tried broccoli, spinach, carrot, pear and banana. She loves to play with tomato but not eating them that much though.

You mentioned Asiatics online, what exactly is this place?

By the way, i am contemplating to build a small indoor enclosure and wondering is it ok to mix her with other breeds.

Thank you very much for your kind advice.

Regards,

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I worry that too much calcium powder can be dangerous. I would remove that one from her cage for now.

And yep she may be a he, time will tell :)

'Asiatics online' I just mean it generally like Facebook, YouTube or Instagram, you may see people scritching their moustache parakeet, but don't trust everything you see. They aren't like dogs. When they touch it isn't just a pat for affection, it is something you do when you are going to mate. Even bonded pairs will not preen each other. They feed each other and spend all day and night together, but they only touch when copulating. So for a human to touch them a lot, it is confusing because it can be very sexual for them, or even scary.

She would love an aviary! What a great idea. She is a social creature and would love some friends. Do you know what kind of birds you intend to keep with her? It is hard to know who will get along without details. It will come down to space in the end.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh I meant to add, be careful not to feed too much apple and grape at the same time. These are both very high in sugar and should be given in small amounts and infrequently. Think of grapes like cupcakes. You can hold one in your hand, gobble it up! But you don't want a cupcake everyday nor too many on one day if you want to stay healthy.

Reactions: tka

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi fashionfobie,

I see, would cuttlefish bone a better substitute for calcium blocks?
OK, I am beginning to see the picture, it seems to be a breed that commands respect and I need to give her the needed personal space.

Currently, I am separating her with the other 2 cockatiels in different cages. if need be i can have an indoor Aviary solely for the same breed. My relative has expressed very keen interest to take my 2 cockatiels home since they are also very tamed.

One thing pleasant about moustache parakeet is that it has so much less dust as compared with the 2 cockatiels. I have to installed two air purifiers to keep the dust at bay.

It seems to me that this breed is not popular at least i have not seen one in the local pet shops in the past.

Regards,

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi fashionfobie,

Thank you very much for bringing up the high sugar content. yes, I don’t give her daily, it’s more a weekend treat and usually 1 or 2 grapes and apples, very much less as it oxides quickly.

Regards,

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I like the way you say they demand respect. That is it, they are elegant and knowledgeable. They hold their heads high, but can also be goofy!

They aren't as popular, mostly because they require expertise knowledge to breed. Special diet and housing conditions, which makes them more difficult for commercial/chain stores.

You do not need a calcium block. Just stick to wood chews for now. Talk to your vet about vitamins if you worry they need calcium.

I would keep her seperate from your cockatiels unless you have a very spacious aviary. And you are correct, moustache parakeets do not have dust like your cockatiels. She will need regular baths. Try placing a dinner plate with a small amount of water in it, so it is shallow. She will like bathing. My plumhead baths almost every day.

Last edited:

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Wow…….that’s really beautiful. This can’t be a moustache parakeet right?

Yep, Melon likes her daily bath too..she just loves the water.

I don’t intend to breed the birds, but having a red beak male is often in my mind…but let’s see how thing goes.

I have learnt much from you today, it’s my honor.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
does it make a good companion with Melon?

Regards,

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
does it make a good companion with Melon?

Regards,
They should get along, but they could also interbreed. I would take it one step at a time. You don't have the aviary yet :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I don't have experience with them but am a fan. Years ago I almost adopted a Derbyan which are similar.

You mentioned your tiels won't eat fruits and vegetables. Generally, tiels don't eat fruit. I would focus on vegetables. Don't give up. :) Both of my tiels love freeze dried vegetables. You could try that.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
@fashionfobie you need to post about Pi way more!
@Pearly can we see more pictures of your cutie ?:xflove: