• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mounting Cage to wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I like Tanyas idea the best. Glad youre going with that

I was going to suggest hanging the cage from the ceiling, but my boss had done this years ago with his parakeets (he had a cat that WAS declawed at the time)

This cat jumped, and jumped, and jumped, until she was finally able to knock over the entire cage..opening the cage and got the bird :( Its hard when you have 2 pets that instinctively go for each other. I never got a cat for that reason (that and i HATE the smell of litter lol) but i see alot of bird people on here do it..so it obviously can be done.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat

Not to start a war on declawing cats or anything, but we didn't have much of a choice. Oliver is declawed. It was either get him declawed and neutered so we could keep him or get evicted. Now some of you might say move, but when you don't have a vehicle and you can currently easily walk to work (whereas moving we'd either have to give up Oliver anyways or pay high cab fares to get back and forth to work and risk not having groceries or utilities). Also there are not many apartments in our area that accept animals - let alone dogs. We are currently in an apartment that accepts our animals (current landlord doesn't know how many birds..:rofl: Shhhh). Oliver to be "altered" as per our previous superintendent after she agreed we could have the cat here. It was a small notation in our lease that I did not see once we were already moved in and Oliver was 5-6 months old.
So yes it is still done, sometimes no other option is available, I even pleaded with my super, telling her what the surgery entailed, tried to let her allow us use those rubber claw covers you can glue on, keeping his nails trimmed, I even showed her how short we already kept them, but it all fell on deaf ears.
Hate me if you want but it was the decision we had to make and he suffered no lasting effects from it.
that understandable but declawing boss because i have a bird is crazy that is a totally different situation. Your situation make sense if your not in the position to move then you do what you have to do to keep the pet

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Ok to the declaw issue It is my choice not to declaw boss.

I dont know if all of you know skylars story but he was going to be left in a empty apartment. So I did not go looking for a bird I could not let any animal starve from someone stupidly. If you choice to declaw your cat thats fine with me I wont do it for another pet.

Skylar is safe Boss is safe. No more declaw talk. It should have ended when I said i wont do that. It was a suggestion that I did not like. Thats all. If the declaw issue continues mod please lock the thread. I will start a new one without the declaw issue.

Now back to the cage issue.

I am going to see exactly what the cage looks like today I am hopefully going to be able to mount it to the table. If not I will post a picture of the new cage and we can figure something else out.

Last edited:

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Ok so I never thought if this tell now. Someone on another forum said it.

What about fire and mounting a cage. I mean I could grab the hole table but is there a way to train them to get into a carrier and in the event of the stress like a fire would that be possible

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
In the event of a fire you will have to grab him out of the cage with your hands (no step up just gently wrap your hand around him) and put him in a carrier, preferably an enclosed plastic one with small enough holes where he can't get out.

He will most likely be in a panic, so he wont remember the training, and if you just open the cage door for him to go in the carrier himself he may panic and fly away into the fire.

So the safest thing to do is to grab him.

You can probably train him to let you hold him that way ahead of time. I can wrap my hands around Tikis whole body.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have extra crates and cages for all my birds in case of an emergency. I still don't like the fastening the cage to the table idea, but it's your choice.:hug8:

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Well his cage has the plastic bottom just like the old one its huge. Compared to his current cage. He is going to have a blast in that cage

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Well I just thought I would pop in and say something. Why dont you get a larger cage with a stand of its own? Personally 18x18 is too small for a lovie IMO. To me keeping a bird in such a tiny cage is no different than declawing a cat. Its cruel. Here are two very nice sites I suggest you look into for something larger with a stand (usually they are attached and will offer more space and hold up if your cat goes on the cage).
www.birdscomfort.com
Bird Cages | CSN Stores

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
At this point everyone has told me to slowly build his cage up. And he needs a vet before i spend 100 to 200 on a cage this is big compared to the cage he has lived in its 18 by 18 and 36 inches high

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
He will get a big enough cage soon he also has a lot of out time. My main priority is making sure he is healthy and eating the right food.

This cage was free and it will do for now

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Most birds do fine if you swich cages anyway, gradual change is really not needed and IME its usually better to do it right away as you are changing it up when you brought him home and most birds do better anyway. But none-the-less Feb/march isnt too far off and if you feel you need to wait until then to get a decent cage he should be fine in the 18x18 until then. The cage you picked is very nice and spacious, plenty of flight room for when he is put away to be safe from the cat.

A good thing to do also with plastic bottom cages is to zip tie the cage to the base that way you dont have to worry about accidents when your carrying the cage. Also save the first cage he's in as it will make a good emergency carrier (hard sided is ideal, but this one will work fine for him) I have my carriers a set up with perches and food cups in case of an emergency so it can be more grab and go.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That cage should have these little things on the stand the cage locks down to. I have had two, and one very similar.

Cassidy

Strolling the yard
I scanned through the thread but it's possible I missed this suggestion, I'm sorry if I did and am repeating someone elses suggestion.

Have you thought about screwing a few eye bolts into two studs in the ceiling and adhering two or more (maybe 4 would be more secure - one for each corner) chains or ropes from the cage corners to the ceiling? Cut them to the length that the cage would hang high enough to stay out of the cats reach (nothing underneath it would prevent the cat from getting up into thin air) and low enough that you can easily access the cage. Afix the ropes or chains to clips like a dog leash clip or big bird toy clip you can easily unsnap them for cleaning purposes or in the event of an evacuation.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
A&E Cage Co. Powder Coated Wrought Iron Cage - 13221

this willl be the one i will be getting for him though some time in feb or march once he is more settled in
If that's the cage you are getting, then you don't need to worry about bolting it to anything. I have 1 very similar and there's no way a cat could knock 1 over unless it were free standing in the middle of the floor and the cat (a very big heavy cat) took a running leap at it and then bounced off of it! :rofl::rofl::rofl: They are pretty sturdy, especially if you can put it in a corner.
There is no way to suspend that from the ceiling or attach to the wall without finding some major studs and getting really heavy duty screws. And it would leave huge holes behind.
I love the cage tho!! It's awesome and leaves lots of room for toys and perches!!
And in case of fire, the cage is much too big to try and pick up in a hurry and get outside so you'd be reaching in for the bird anyways....

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat

If that's the cage you are getting, then you don't need to worry about bolting it to anything. I have 1 very similar and there's no way a cat could knock 1 over unless it were free standing in the middle of the floor and the cat (a very big heavy cat) took a running leap at it and then bounced off of it! :rofl::rofl::rofl: They are pretty sturdy, especially if you can put it in a corner.
There is no way to suspend that from the ceiling or attach to the wall without finding some major studs and getting really heavy duty screws. And it would leave huge holes behind.
I love the cage tho!! It's awesome and leaves lots of room for toys and perches!!
And in case of fire, the cage is much too big to try and pick up in a hurry and get outside so you'd be reaching in for the bird anyways....
I wont be getting that cage tell feb march. I will post a picture of the one i got today we are not home so i will post it tomorrow. He had to travel with the new one in our car.

Its the same shape as the old one but its wider and larger. 18 by 18 and 36 inches hi. This will be his cage tell I buy that really nice one.

But his vet visit is shedualed for jan and his cage comes in Feb march. Buying food and stuff was a lot more expensive then I thought. With the holidays in the same month.

but he will be taken care of. I will make sure of that oh once we get the new cage that table will be refinished by my dad he knows how to do all that

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat

This is his new cage. It not cleaned out yet we are out of town.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
That is a nice cage :)
Nothing wrong with that!!!

Your bird is lucky to have you care so much about him :)

Everyone says it the wrong size to small is this true or is this big enough. I will have it set up and mounted on thursday.

I will post pictures of him in it with all his stuff. he will need more toys to fill it up he does not have enough

Status
Not open for further replies.