• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mounting Cage to wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Ok how about this idea. Are you willing to alter the table that the cage sits on? If yes, then read further, if no then this won't work for you.(unless you can find another suitable table at a yard sale/flea market/Craig's List/Kijiji/etc..)
All smaller cages usually have plastic bottoms and a little tray that slides out so we can easily change papers.
Take the cage top off and set over papers (this way the bird stays safe while you are doing this).
Take the tray out of the bottom of the cage.
Now take 4 flat head screws and slowly screw (you may have to drill a hole first so the plastic doesn't crack) 1 screw in each of the 4 corners (about an inch from the corner). You are screwing the bottom to the table. Make sure the screws are FLUSH with the bottom.
Slide the tray back in, line with paper, place cage back on top - and VOILA! No brackets, no structural or hole damage to the apartment. Now the only way the cage could get knocked over is if the cat knocked the WHOLE TABLE over and that table looks plenty heavy and sturdy.
Anytime you need to wash the full bottom, just place the cage top on papers again (with bird inside), unscrew, wash, dry, and reassemble!

(I hope this made sense...:lol:)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Tanya, that actually sounds great and easy too! lol Perhaps a taller table would be better?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Tanya what a brilliant idea :highfive:

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
we had a similar problem in our small house when batman was in his hospital cage.
We had to put the cage up on a tall bookcase but out cat could still jump to it if he really wanted to.
Hubby and I used 3 ss hanging hooks on the wall to secure the cage. We also made sure that when batmans cage was up and we were out of the house that the the door of the cage was padlocked and facing the wall.

I also would never consider declawing our cat :(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
That is a great idea to screw the cage to the table.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
.If you use brackets to mount the cage to the wall, you probably should brace the table or whatever the cage sits on to the wall also. Otherwise the table could fly out from under the cage

Good idea I think we will do that do if we dont use the table we are using now. Its about 40 pound solid wood so either I will has to use the same table or brace that also.

Thank you for making me think of that

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Ok how about this idea. Are you willing to alter the table that the cage sits on? If yes, then read further, if no then this won't work for you.(unless you can find another suitable table at a yard sale/flea market/Craig's List/Kijiji/etc..)
All smaller cages usually have plastic bottoms and a little tray that slides out so we can easily change papers.
Take the cage top off and set over papers (this way the bird stays safe while you are doing this).
Take the tray out of the bottom of the cage.
Now take 4 flat head screws and slowly screw (you may have to drill a hole first so the plastic doesn't crack) 1 screw in each of the 4 corners (about an inch from the corner). You are screwing the bottom to the table. Make sure the screws are FLUSH with the bottom.
Slide the tray back in, line with paper, place cage back on top - and VOILA! No brackets, no structural or hole damage to the apartment. Now the only way the cage could get knocked over is if the cat knocked the WHOLE TABLE over and that table looks plenty heavy and sturdy.
Anytime you need to wash the full bottom, just place the cage top on papers again (with bird inside), unscrew, wash, dry, and reassemble!

(I hope this made sense...:lol:)

Thats it that is what we will do thank you so much. With the cage being so tall I was thinking a larger table but I measures three feet on my wall and it would not work any taller. I would not be able to clean the cage properly.

This is what we will use now to get my dad to do it for me next week.
After i get my cage and get it cleaned up.

birdman78

Real Name
John
Not sure how you would do it. But, if you do mount it on the wall make sure you anchor into the studs of the wall. If not, it will pull out over time and the cage will go falling down.

birdman78

Real Name
John
I live in a one bedroom apartment with one cat one dog and a rabbit and skylar it nearly impossible.

I am doing everything i can to make sure all my pets are safe and happy.

Hense mounting to wall The cat cant open the cage neither can skylar we bought nice new latches. We are doing all we can
I say good job on looking how to better your situation. Nothing more annoying than asking for help and getting unhelpful criticism. We all can't dedicate a whole house to our animals. :hug8:

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
I wanted to thank everyone I called my dad he is going to come out here on thursday and mount the cage to the table until then I will make sure boss goes no where near the cage.

One it gets done I will take pictures.

feebee

Jogging around the block
sounds like a great idea, i would also maybe suggest getting some clear plastic sheeting (like people use on floors to stop kids messing it up) i know i got some from my local Craft shop it came in a big roll and i just requested how much i needed, and use that as more protection on the outside of the cage when the cat is in the same area, depending on your cat etc you may find that you could just have it on the top/ some sides, like you have the cloth now :) but this way your bird can still see out :) ill try and post my cage with the plastic on later tonight, but im off to lunch now :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I wanted to thank everyone I called my dad he is going to come out here on thursday and mount the cage to the table until then I will make sure boss goes no where near the cage.

One it gets done I will take pictures.
Sounds like a plan! We lived with our Kitty and our birds for 19 birds and never had a problem as we were super dilegent just like you are. So happy you are thinking things through carefully.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Glad I could be of assistance! See I told you guys the lighbulb comes on every once in awhile! Lol that makes twice in 2 days so no more for now.... Lol
I've successfully had birds and a cat for several years and a dog for a year and every one is in the same room. Like someone said I am super watchful when they are put but not everyone at the same time. Only 2 come out every day and Monet is still not tame enough or a good enough flier to be out much.
I wish you all the best and hope it works for you.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
If your cat is that heavy then I would hesitate to attach it to the wall in case the cat decides to get on top of the cage. See if you can find an old table at Salvation Army or Goodwill, garage sale etc, attach the cage to the table itself and put the table in a corner so the cat cannot knock the entire thing over. If your cat is not declawed I would be having that done very soon.
yes but all it takes is a claw to get him and get infeted and kill
Declawing a cat involves amputating the last bone in every single toe. That's ten separate amputations. It can have severe long term behavioral and medical consequences, especially if it's not done properly. Declawed cats require powerful pain control, including high doses of narcotics post operatively to keep them from hurting. In birds, the equivalent procedure would be pinioning- cutting off the ends of the wings, assuming you're only talking about declawing the front.

I'm a little shocked that the bird lovers on this forum would suggest such drastic surgery so blithely. We do need to keep our birds safe, but painful and permanently disfiguring surgery on another animal in our care doesn't seem like a good option to me.

We look upon birds that are pinioned or missing toes with pity and great concern for keeping them happy and comfortable and adapting their cages to their needs. Why then, is it okay or even desirable to inflict that on a cat?

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
Declawing a cat involves amputating the last bone in every single toe. That's ten separate amputations. It can have severe long term behavioral and medical consequences, especially if it's not done properly. Declawed cats require powerful pain control, including high doses of narcotics post operatively to keep them from hurting. In birds, the equivalent procedure would be pinioning- cutting off the ends of the wings, assuming you're only talking about declawing the front.

I'm a little shocked that the bird lovers on this forum would suggest such drastic surgery so blithely. We do need to keep our birds safe, but painful and permanently disfiguring surgery on another animal in our care doesn't seem like a good option to me.

We look upon birds that are pinioned or missing toes with pity and great concern for keeping them happy and comfortable and adapting their cages to their needs. Why then, is it okay or even desirable to inflict that on a cat?
wonderful post, thank you.

there is a reason why declawing is not something done here thats for sure.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I don't think anyone suggested getting the cat de-clawed :(

She said IF the cat is not declawed :)
Sometimes people have declawed cats from years ago, or adopted them that way. I don't think many even consider that anymore.

feebee

Jogging around the block

wonderful post, thank you.

there is a reason why declawing is not something done here thats for sure.
sorry to highjack the thread, but do you know the zion lion park the cats have their claws de clawed :(

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I don't think anyone suggested getting the cat de-clawed :(

She said IF the cat is not declawed :)
Sometimes people have declawed cats from years ago, or adopted them that way. I don't think many even consider that anymore.
Not to start a war on declawing cats or anything, but we didn't have much of a choice. Oliver is declawed. It was either get him declawed and neutered so we could keep him or get evicted. Now some of you might say move, but when you don't have a vehicle and you can currently easily walk to work (whereas moving we'd either have to give up Oliver anyways or pay high cab fares to get back and forth to work and risk not having groceries or utilities). Also there are not many apartments in our area that accept animals - let alone dogs. We are currently in an apartment that accepts our animals (current landlord doesn't know how many birds..:rofl: Shhhh). Oliver to be "altered" as per our previous superintendent after she agreed we could have the cat here. It was a small notation in our lease that I did not see once we were already moved in and Oliver was 5-6 months old.
So yes it is still done, sometimes no other option is available, I even pleaded with my super, telling her what the surgery entailed, tried to let her allow us use those rubber claw covers you can glue on, keeping his nails trimmed, I even showed her how short we already kept them, but it all fell on deaf ears.
Hate me if you want but it was the decision we had to make and he suffered no lasting effects from it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Instead of screwing the cage to the table, which might make the cage difficult to give a really good cleaning...how about this~
There are very small bungie cords. You could put 4 of them, one on each corner of the cage, and extend down to a screw or nail on the sides, or even under the platform part of the table. They are very strong and secure. I use one on Sheba's cage door to keep it open while she is out, so it doesn't accidentally close on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.