• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moose & Me?

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’ve been birdysitting a family member’s IRN, Moose for the last few weeks and now I have been told they don’t want him back. They want me to either keep or sell him for them because “he bites and is a [jerk].” I admit he nailed my ear really good the other day while riding on my shoulder, and he isn’t fond of hands. But in general Moose is a really cool, independent bird. The worst I can say about him aside from the random ear bite, is around 8am he makes this supersonic laser gun call maybe five times and is otherwise silent.

I expect he’ll get louder as he acclimates, but even then the laser gun noise isn’t that awful. His loudest call is on par with my incessantly chatty PFLs. He needs toys, an appropriate cage, and an improved diet. I like the little guy and he’s already fitting in nicely.

It’s another bird to care for and spoil rotten, I am a little uncomfortable about adding a totally new species to my flock without much consideration/research, but all the same he’s family, he’s already living here, and I don’t want to sell him off to some stranger. Am I crazy for considering this?

He’s young 5-7mo, wings clipped :( and currently eating an all seed diet. I’ve given him zupreem but so far he’s not interested.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think you are taking on a huge responsibility you may not be ready for. The family that you are bird sitting for put you in an awkward position. I would offer help finding a better home for this unfortunate bird.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Only 5-7 months and they already gave up on him? :shake:. They probably didn't do any or much research... In my limited experience IRN aren't very hands on birds, with exceptions, they are usually independent birds content on keeping themselves busy. I would worry about out of cage play time with all your other birds since there is definitely a difference in beak size. Honestly, if you are having second thoughts then it probably isn't the right time and help him find a forever home where he can find someone to shoot lasers back at him.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’m having first thoughts lol I should have probably seen it coming.. this family has donated most of their pets to unsuspecting family pet sitters. Still I never considered they’d dump a baby bird on me! They’re not a good bird family though, they just aren’t suited for anything but maybe finches.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you accept the bird and let them know or not let them know you will take charge and find a good home? You may find someone here on AA that would adore him.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I don’t yet know exactly how long I’ll have him but in the meantime I am at least enjoying his company. My birds aren’t in his room, so I’m not worried about any inter species conflict. I will get pictures of him up when I’m home ;)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe poor Moose. Less than a year old and his previous home has already given up on him :( ...also they probably shouldn't even get finches...not good form for any pets.

I think adding Moose to your flock will be a massive change. If you need to adopt him out, it is reasonable, don't feel ashamed to consider it. Moose can probably grow into a very awesome bird. I don't think he was given a great start to learning how to live with humans. If I lived on your continent it would be hard to turn little Moose away.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think if you like him you should keep him. There are challenges with having different sized beaks in the house. But you've been handling that already so...... :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I would be lying through my teeth if I said I didn’t want to keep him. I also want to make sure I don’t make a selfish decision that ultimately isn’t in his or my flock’s best interest. The big beak disparity is something I’m very aware of, but also not something I am worried about. I never let my fids have inter species play time, so the separation of beaks protocol is nothing new.

I’ve read through the good bad and ugly thread twice and have been reading the threads in the IRN forum. I don’t understand the “bluffing” business, that just sounds like bird body language to me; watch your bird, listen to him, don’t get bit. Easier said than done when they’re on your shoulder though lol. I have only spent time around young IRNs and I don’t know anyone or any place that has adults. I just still feel shy of an educated decision.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you truly think you can handle the extra work and everything involved to keep your whole flock safe and happy go for it. If it's just not going to work find someone that will love and care for him like you do and make sure they give you updates on how he's doing. I'm sure there are folks here that fit the bill.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I could put a case to you for keeping him or not keeping him, but I won´t.
Just take some time, sit down in a quiet room and think about the options. There´s no wrong answer and we will stand by what you decide :)

Maybe you could consider option 3.... Foster him ;) See how things go, and if it doesn´t work out then find him a more suited home.
But be realistic. If you know from the get go that you don´t have extra time or space or something like that, then don´t try to convince yourself that you do.

❤

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Maybe you could consider option 3.... Foster him ;) See how things go, and if it doesn´t work out then find him a more suited home.
But be realistic. If you know from the get go that you don´t have extra time or space or something like that, then don´t try to convince yourself that you do.
I think this is exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to take charge of him, so that no matter what happens, I can make sure he has a good life. If it doesn’t work out, or I’m stretched too thin, I’ll be able to help him land somewhere wonderful. Of course I hope Moose stays with me, it’s impossible not to love him :xflove: I might change his name though because Mussolini isn’t exactly something I need him yelling if he does start talking :bored:
ADC136FB-874D-4FE4-B3A6-A59B9DC1F6A0.jpeg

He’s a very good boy! He has to come out of his cage himself, but once he’s out he’ll step up very nicely and then bite your thumb

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think this is exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to take charge of him, so that no matter what happens, I can make sure he has a good life. If it doesn’t work out, or I’m stretched too thin, I’ll be able to help him land somewhere wonderful. Of course I hope Moose stays with me, it’s impossible not to love him :xflove: I might change his name though because Mussolini isn’t exactly something I need him yelling if he does start talking :bored:
View attachment 315446

He’s a very good boy! He has to come out of his cage himself, but once he’s out he’ll step up very nicely and then bite your thumb
:coffeescreen:
What a cutie though <3