• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moose & Me?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love him already..... I know... I'm no help. As a couple others said... he's there, you've been the responsible person caring for him. Let some time pass with him in your care, get him on a better diet and work through the nipping stage. Some ringnecks can be very personable, maybe not as cuddly as other birds, can be strong willed but very trainable and this is the time to do it. If in time it doesn't work out you'll find the perfect home where he should be.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He's likely biting because he wasn't properly taught what is acceptable behavior. I believe that once he's been with you for awhile the biting will lessen over time.

One day at a time. Let your heart and head guide you towards the best decision for YOU. I'm actually glad they've realized now that having a bird isn't a good fit for them while he's young.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Moose is also pretty young, some of the mouthiness may pass. I know with my Pi, he was VERY oral. He would pinch my skin a lot just because he was curious of it. It wasn't aggressive or acting out, just..."oh what is this stuff" also my comp mouse, my mouse pad, my ears, fabrics, anything and everything he needed to put in his mouth.

Pi's birthday is coming up next month and he almost never pinches. he doesn't really chew none birdie items any longer either. Now he only pinches when he wants to drive me to the shower...because it worked once... so now he has learned that if he pinches me on my right hand and shakes his tail feathers, he can get a shower.
The method I used was handing Pi a little foot toy every time I went to pick him up. Or at least I would have a toy nearby. If he got mouthy I would hand him the more fun toy. It seemed to redirect his curious nibbles and saved my arms and hands some grief.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Today was a great day! Zero bites landed and few attempts to avoid. He was very loud today, but only when he couldn’t see me, not a trend I’d like to encourage. He did fantastic at step ups and I trusted him to try shoulder time again, he does not like when I turn my head to see him..now I know why he bit my ear.

I read to him and he watched me from on top of his cage. He hung out with me a little in my chair, but he is most comfortable observing me right now and I respected that and helped him back to his cage whenever he wanted to go perch up there. I was very careful not to pet him today and he really responded positively to me, I even got to kiss his sweet little beak!

I’m using my AA knowledge and per usual it’s spot on. Moose is consistent in not liking hands or petting, but he does seem to enjoy kisses ❤ I think he’s starting to see everything here is on his terms, I’m not forcing him into anything. He seemed very happy today and even accepted a banana chip from my hand and ate it while perched on my arm. Definitely a good day!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Today was a great day! Zero bites landed and few attempts to avoid. He was very loud today, but only when he couldn’t see me, not a trend I’d like to encourage. He did fantastic at step ups and I trusted him to try shoulder time again, he does not like when I turn my head to see him..now I know why he bit my ear.

I read to him and he watched me from on top of his cage. He hung out with me a little in my chair, but he is most comfortable observing me right now and I respected that and helped him back to his cage whenever he wanted to go perch up there. I was very careful not to pet him today and he really responded positively to me, I even got to kiss his sweet little beak!

I’m using my AA knowledge and per usual it’s spot on. Moose is consistent in not liking hands or petting, but he does seem to enjoy kisses ❤ I think he’s starting to see everything here is on his terms, I’m not forcing him into anything. He seemed very happy today and even accepted a banana chip from my hand and ate it while perched on my arm. Definitely a good day!
You won't be in his area all the time so expect a lot of loud calling. Oh, and if he has any doors that can slide up and down in his cage... get some safe links to keep them locked until you let him out.... they're really smart and can figure out how to open those types of doors ... even the ones where you can lift it up to put a food cup in. Sneaky... sneaky escape artists. I had a sweet little green cheek that would let herself out of her cage and go visit one of two males... but she was particularly fond of Pretty Boy Floyd. It was always a little fright when I would do a check and see her cage empty.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yes, I’ve got SS bowls for him, so I’m zip tying all the food doors and probably going to clip the main doors until I can get him in a proper cage with locking doors.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I was going to quote some of your post and respond but I loved every word of it and quoted it all. :laugh: You’re awesome!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think this is exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to take charge of him, so that no matter what happens, I can make sure he has a good life. If it doesn’t work out, or I’m stretched too thin, I’ll be able to help him land somewhere wonderful. Of course I hope Moose stays with me, it’s impossible not to love him :xflove:

:bliss:

I might change his name though because Mussolini isn’t exactly something I need him yelling if he does start talking :bored:
Hmm... Any ideas on a new name? I´m sure he´ll take to it as he´s still young.
In an old job like 10 years ago I was called Zarimoose.... I don´t quite know why.. one of the girls said it and it stuck... I think it stemmed from me catching the mouse one day :lol:
Anyway, this bird deserves a lovely name like all your other birds :)

He seemed very happy today and even accepted a banana chip from my hand and ate it while perched on my arm. Definitely a good day!
A good day for sure! He´s making good progress with you - even if he doesn´t stay, you will have improved his life :)

I'm actually glad they've realized now that having a bird isn't a good fit for them while he's young.
Yea, much better than when he´s older... or worse, just caging him and neglecting him.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
YAY! Moose! I am so excited for you little one! :starshower1::starshower:

He seemed very happy today and even accepted a banana chip from my hand and ate it while perched on my arm. Definitely a good day!
Banana chips can sometimes be prepared with additives and sugar so be careful :) I only use dried fruits that are 100% natural. Turkish figs or sultanas (raisins) make excellent treats!

:yahoo::swoon:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Hmm... Any ideas on a new name? I´m sure he´ll take to it as he´s still young.
In an old job like 10 years ago I was called Zarimoose.... I don´t quite know why.. one of the girls said it and it stuck... I think it stemmed from me catching the mouse one day :lol:
Anyway, this bird deserves a lovely name like all your other birds :)
I am not sure yet, he’s very cute and very shy, he likes to hide behind his toys and peer out at me like Sneaky Pete always did, which just melts my heart. I told my mom that I had a great day with Mussolini yesterday and she just about fell off her chair laughing :lol: but I don’t expect everyone to get the sardonic humor and he’s too sweet to have such a name!

Zarimoose! Haha that’s adorable! Better than Mags!

A good day for sure! He´s making good progress with you - even if he doesn´t stay, you will have improved his life :)
:) That’s my goal, I just want him to be happy and to enjoy his relationships with humans as much as possible... And to stay with me forever :D but I’m going to be pragmatic.
Banana chips can sometimes be prepared with additives and sugar so be careful :)
I dug it out of his seed mix (Volkman hookbill) I was handing him different things all day and he kept flinging them all on the floor until the banana chip ❤ Cute little twerpy boy. I will definitely be cautious when I buy him some things for treats though! Thank you for the warning!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I’ve read through the good bad and ugly thread twice and have been reading the threads in the IRN forum. I don’t understand the “bluffing” business, that just sounds like bird body language to me; watch your bird, listen to him, don’t get bit. Easier said than done when they’re on your shoulder though lol. I have only spent time around young IRNs and I don’t know anyone or any place that has adults. I just still feel shy of an educated decision.
I honestly can't love this enough!!!! Certain species are more prone to bite inhibition... aka they don't *WANT* to bite, but they will warn you that they *WILL* if they feel that push comes to shove. (not sure bite inhibition is the correct term... but I'll roll with it!) These birds that don't want to bite will warn you. This could be an open beak possibly accompanied by a hiss or a growl (depending on species) or it could be lunging. Neither are actual bites, but very clear warning signals that they will bite. Birds that display this behavior are often thrown under the buss and said to be "bluffing". People ignore this behavior and the bird may very well start biting... so now you have a bluffing biting bird on your hands! Now what? Ignore the bird... and continue getting bitten.... make the bird more aggressive... end up with bites that "occur out of nowhere"... or simply have a bird that 'gives up'. Yeah, none of these are really desired...

These are simply birds that are *very clear* in what they are trying to communicate, but us dumb humans can't figure it out and listen to poor advice!

I am not sure yet, he’s very cute and very shy, he likes to hide behind his toys and peer out at me like Sneaky Pete always did, which just melts my heart.
Even wild caught ringnecks (specifically an ARN) will do that! ;) Yup! Pretty freakin adorable!

upload_2019-9-22_7-37-17.png

upload_2019-9-22_7-38-17.png

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have found that scared Asiatics will freeze in spot when they are scared. Pi becomes a leaf, he leans forward, freezes and looks about very cautiously. He will fly when something is swooping at the window, but not when a bird is just flying by. When Pi acts leafy it is pretty amazing. He can hide himself in plain sight right on the playstand. I would be lying if I didn't have to search for him a few times.. especially when he has some new branches covered in leaves.

My parrotlets will scream and fly about instantly whenever they see something. Parrotlets are very reactionary comparatively. Since you have had many little parrotlets you may see this difference too. Asiatics are very careful and calculated in my experiences with them. :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Certain species are more prone to bite inhibition... AKA they don't *WANT* to bite, but they will warn you that they *WILL* if they feel that push comes to shove. (not sure bite inhibition is the correct term... but I'll roll with it!) These birds that don't want to bite will warn you. This could be an open beak possibly accompanied by a hiss or a growl (depending on species) or it could be lunging. Neither are actual bites, but very clear warning signals that they will bite. Birds that display this behavior are often thrown under the buss and said to be "bluffing".
Yes!! That’s exactly what I’m seeing as well! I find his body language to be a real gift as it gives us an extremely clear line of communication. I respect his boundaries and he is kind enough to tell me exactly what they are...it’s a win-win for us!
These are simply birds that are *very clear* in what they are trying to communicate, but us dumb humans can't figure it out and listen to poor advice!
I can’t imagine seeing the warnings and deciding oh, he’s just faking it (that is the same thing as bluffing right?) how arrogant and how rude! I’m lucky I suppose, :smuggrin: my parrotlets have given me a masters course in the language of “I will bite you if you don’t knock it off!” Hehe I learned to speak that language quickly, and with many thanks again to AA for teaching me to recognize the signs I didn’t understand.
Even wild caught ringnecks (specifically an ARN) will do that! ;) Yup! Pretty freakin adorable!

Omg how cute!! :xflove: Anything that reminds me of my sweet Pete gets me right in the heart ❤ I’m already crazy about my little guy!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Very cool little dude..and young. No sign of a ring.

Typical IRN...independent, intelligent, and very sure of themselves...you've got a winner there...;)