• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting?

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
My almost 7 month old cockatiel is preening a ton. He has a little white bald spot with little feathers under his left wing. There's little half inch tiny feathers everywhere. After each time he's done preening he shakes and a bunch of the tiny feathers come off. Theres also 1 about 2 inch feather that came off so far. He's cranky and super sleepy all the time. I also just got him. Is he molting, preening or feather plucking?

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My guess is that he is molting. Sometimes they rest more when molting, and it could look like there was a little pillow fight in their cage. Feathers are sparse under their wings, so that could be normal too. As with any new bird, however, a vet check is always a good idea.

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
My guess is that he is molting. Sometimes they rest more when molting, and it could look like there was a little pillow fight in their cage. Feathers are sparse under their wings, so that could be normal too. As with any new bird, however, a vet check is always a good idea.
I have a vet appointment already. But it's like a month out :/ there's tons of these little feathers.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That seems completely normal to me. As long as there are no bald spots. (but thin feathers under the wings is normal) Misting your bird, if he likes it, might help him be more comfortable while he molts.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Yes seems normal to me. My tiel is molting as we speak.. I have to vacuum everytime I get up while working because there tiny feathers everywhere!
If I let it go while I'm busy and then look down it looks like there was a bird fight :laughing2:

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
Yes seems normal to me. My tiel is molting as we speak.. I have to vacuum everytime I get up while working because there tiny feathers everywhere!
If I let it go while I'm busy and then look down it looks like there was a bird fight :laughing2:
Could you take a picture if you think about it next time? I just want to see the feathers. Because my buddy has really small ones but a lot of them that are coming off. Only 1 big one

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Could you take a picture if you think about it next time? I just want to see the feathers. Because my buddy has really small ones but a lot of them that are coming off. Only 1 big one
Sure I just vacuumed so the smaller dander will be hard to see but it’s mostly these small fluffy feathers and dander.

Attachments

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
Sure I just vacuumed so the smaller dander will be hard to see but it’s mostly these small fluffy feathers and dander.
Ah okay thank you. My buddy has smaller ones. But I did just take him to vet today to check on everything since I'm new to birds and I just got him. They said it looks like he just molted/finishing molting. Got 2 medicines for bacteria in his mouth and budding yeast in poop for him too and a bunch of other tests done. 500 dollars later but he's my buddy so it's only money