• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Minimizing spread of pbfd

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Today marked the one month anniversary of Obi's death. I'm really feeling the loss and loneliness. It's been so hard the last couple of weeks. I feel so pathetic, but I've cried almost every day. I've spent the last month trying to find an infected bird but with no luck. It appears most groups put down pbfd infected birds. Perhaps that is for the best

So far, I have:
*Had my carpet steam cleaned.
*Sprayed everything in my house at least once with f10. I am not joking. I have cleaned every container in my house and every piece of furniture.
*I've bleached most hard surfaces.
*Bleached my blinds
*Got rid of my pillows and linens
*Any kept linens have been bleached
*Soaked all of my clothing in virkon s (save for a few items soaked in f10)
*Cleaned the inside of my vents
*Changed my air filter
*Thrown away everything that came in direct contact with my bird

I am considering in a few months getting a pbfd negative bird, but I'm just so nervous. If I do, I will be getting an older birds. I've seen many birds available online age 6-8 that look like they're in bad situations and need a good home. I will also be avoided breeds susceptible to pbfd (toos, Vasas, Greys...). Is this enough?

Are there any birds resistant to pbfd? (Tiels and conures seem very resistant...) Are there any flat bills that can form an equivalent bird-human bond?

I'll continue spraying f10 in the meantime. I just feel so lost.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
http://www.meadowsah.com/home/assets/docs/f10-articles/The Facts-Issue 2.pdf

Dont know if one spraying is enough & it has to stay wet for a few minutes.
Not sure at what concentration bleach will kill it & if the steam in the carpet machine was hot enough to kill it.

You'd have to go over alot of things...add f10 to the carpet cleaner. What about the walls & ceilings?

I think if you get a fogger for the f10 it will ocver everything,,,

I think Fetching Finches cleaned up after or has tried as throughly as I am aware.

The article above sprayed every day for weeks so it seems it is pretty resistant & then they swabbed walls to culture...

It can be dealt with but its alot of work & needs to be thorough...

Mythic55

Removing PBFD from your home | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You've started & hope this should get you in the right direction....You will need a fogger for the f10.
Has to get in the vent/ducts too...

I'm sorry did not know you lost your angel only a month ago. It's not that long.
Maybe sticking it to that virus will be good for you. I'm not sure how you go about getting someone to take some samples to be tested but if you can clean up
you can look into getting another bird to bring more fluttering joy into your life,

Rabe means raven....I lost a good friend with that last name in 99.
Interesting as we had a crow we used to feed...I really loved that bird but he was wild. When my friend died the bird found me in my apt downstairs & would come see me. He would call outside my window & I would scramble him some eggs...

He eventually started bringing his friends to dinner or the news got out & there were mobs of crows so I had to stop feeding him. He eventually moved on & did not come to me anymore or follow me down the block or buzz people talking to me...He or she....was a great bird & probably is no longer flying the skies after 20 years but will always have a special place in my heart.

Last edited:

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
http://www.meadowsah.com/home/assets/docs/f10-articles/The Facts-Issue 2.pdf

Dont know if one spraying is enough & it has to stay wet for a few minutes.
Not sure at what concentration bleach will kill it & if the steam in the carpet machine was hot enough to kill it.

You'd have to go over alot of things...add f10 to the carpet cleaner. What about the walls & ceilings?

I think if you get a fogger for the f10 it will ocver everything,,,

I think Fetching Finches cleaned up after or has tried as throughly as I am aware.

The article above sprayed every day for weeks so it seems it is pretty resistant & then they swabbed walls to culture...

It can be dealt with but its alot of work & needs to be thorough...

Mythic55

Removing PBFD from your home | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You've started & hope this should get you in the right direction....You will need a fogger for the f10.
Has to get in the vent/ducts too...

I'm sorry did not know you lost your angel only a month ago. It's not that long.
Maybe sticking it to that virus will be good for you. I'm not sure how you go about getting someone to take some samples to be tested but if you can clean up
you can look into getting another bird to bring more fluttering joy into your life,

Rabe means raven....I lost a good friend with that last name in 99.
Interesting as we had a crow we used to feed...I really loved that bird but he was wild. When my friend died the bird found me in my apt downstairs & would come see me. He would call outside my window & I would scramble him some eggs...

He eventually started bringing his friends to dinner or the news got out & there were mobs of crows so I had to stop feeding him. He eventually moved on & did not come to me anymore or follow me down the block or buzz people talking to me...He or she....was a great bird & probably is no longer flying the skies after 20 years but will always have a special place in my heart.
Thank you for the response.

Valentina

Moving in
My Pearly Conure tested positive and we only got the results AFTER she was in our home to our GCC, albeit in a second open room but with a shared air supply. We removed her immediately and had them both tested 8 weeks later - both are fine.
And this even with her living with the cage and many toys she had when she was initially positive.
Our avian vet said it was unusual for conures to have this, and he was confident it was just a transient infection, which it was.
We cleaned the cages with virkon, threw out fabric toys and wood perches and I vacuumed, washed surfaces I could reach and did crazy amounts of laundry.
I had my central AC switched off so I could limit the areas with potential infection.
In short: continue your research but maybe consider my experiences with a conure, who was able to get rid of the virus :)
Big hugs!