• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Millet Spray / diet

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Ivan.Vanca I have created this thread for you. The previous thread got derailed and as none of your posts were on topic I have moved them here to continue to talk more about that and leave the other thread so the other member can talk about treat options.

What is the sense of that? Once my birds are shy, they will go away regardles get close to them with hand or spoon.
Some hand shy birds will be more inclined take food from a spoon. My hand shy hen will take food from a spoon, she´s skeptical of hands.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I’m confused as to what your thread is about. Are you trying to learn more about healthy diets or are you trying to convince people that feeding only millet is healthy? Because only millet diet has proven to be unhealthy and detrimental to birds health in many studies.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m confused as to what your thread is about.
Hi Julia. I created this thread for Ivan. These were all posts on another thread after post #7, here is the link;

Are you trying to learn more about healthy diets or are you trying to convince people that feeding only millet is healthy?
@Ivan.Vanca I´m also curious to hear your answer to this

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
@Ivan.Vanca I have created this thread for you. The previous thread got derailed and as none of your posts were on topic I have moved them here to continue to talk more about that and leave the other thread so the other member can talk about treat options.
Thank you for moving it Zara, I really didn't want to keep derailing the thread.

I want to begin by saying you actually have some really good thing in your birds' diet!
I give my budgies millet sprays, grass seeds, maybe some oats, canary seeds, some salads sometimes, carrots, sometimes cucumber, corn, sometimes egg.
It's great that they have grass seeds and canary seeds, they get veggies sometimes too which is great!
What I'd don't understand is you mentioned that pellets have corn in them (I assume that's part of the reason you dont like pellets?) But you're fine feeding fresh corn? I see no difference.

The main thing I am trying to share here is millet isn't an adequate foods source. In small quantities I am sure it's fine, not as a main part though.
My personal opinion is small amount of basically everything, but also adjusted as needed to suit individuals, is a good diet. Pellets, veggies (fresh, cooked, dried etc.), seeds, grains, sprouts, nuts, even fruits (though I personally pass on the fruit).
Here are reasons as to why high seed diet are inadequate.
There is a common misconception that birds only need seed. While individual requirements will vary, for most pet birds, especially parrots and budgerigars, a seed diet is deficient in over 30 nutrients (see below), including vitamins A, D3, E and K; minerals such as calcium; lysine, methonine and Omega 3 fatty acids. Seeds are also too high in fat. While seeds may be palatable, feeding your bird an exclusively seed diet is like feeding your children McDonald’s: occasionally is okay but fed every meal it is very likely to lead to malnutrition and ill health.
For diets, one size doesn’t fit all, any more than a single diet would be suitable for every human at every life stage. General principles need to be adapted to individual circumstances and preferences,
The following nutrients are low or absent in seeds commonly fed to birds:

• Vitamins – choline, niacin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin (B2), cyanocobalamine (B12), biotin, D3, E, K and folic acid
  • Vitamin precursors – b carotene, converted to vitamin A in the liver
  • Minerals – calcium, sodium, phosphorus (70% tied up in non-digestible phytates in grains and plant products)
  • Trace mineral – selenium, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, iodine, chromium, vanadium, bismuth, tin, boron
  • Pigments – chlorophyll, canthaxanthin
  • Amino acids – lysine, methionine
  • Fibre – (mucopolysaccharide) both soluble and insoluble
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Source for the above quotes.

When asked to think of a typical bird diet most people’s minds jump straight to a seed mix but in reality an all seed diet is like an all McDonald’s diet for people. On its own seeds contain primarily carbohydrates and fats and is lacking in protein, vitamins and minerals. Although seed diets can be supplemented with other foods such as fruits and vegetables most birds will still selectively eat a higher proportion of seed. A diet high in carbohydrates and fats leads to obesity, liver problems and lowered resistance to disease.
Birds such as the Budgerigar, Cockatoo, Galah and Cockatiel are traditionally seed-eating birds. As we now know a pure seed diet is unhealthy and should be replaced with a 60% formulated pellet diet. This can then be supplemented with small amounts of seed mix, fruit and vegetables.
(I dont agree with the percentage in above quote, but I added to show the fact that they still suggest some seed for grainivores)
Source for above quotes.

I just wanted to leave this information here for others, from what I can see you do not want to change what you do, which you are allowed to, I guess, they're your birds.
To anyone researching diet, please do alot of research and double check any info with multiple sources.
This is likely my last reply to this thread.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Lot is what? Sorry. I give my budgies mainly grass seeds and red millet sprays. I know in the USA it is supposed to be like some "treat", but I do not agree with that. Treat or training, it sounds strange. I do not train my budgies. It is fact that some my budgies have fatty lipomas on the chest, but each budgie has the same metabolism. So if it does not hurt one budgie, it can not hurt the another one. Maybe those which do not fly such much, but there is not adequate replacement to those seeds here.
Some people can eat peanuts some will die from eating peanuts- living beings are not all the same just because they are the same species!

Every budgie does not have the exact same metabolism as all others because each budgie has different genetics just as us humans do not all have the same metabolism and dietary needs- what my body may do best on can be extremely different to what yours will do best on (example- I cope fine on 2-4 hours of sleep every night even though I would like more but all the friends I have need a minimum of 6-8hrs sleep or they struggle to simply function)... all living beings are completely individual and unique and although we may have many similar needs and some similar or general traits we all need to make some tweaks and changes to suit each individual being.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
The corn is not a reason why I do not buy pellets. Pellets were produced artificially. I do not believe that if you mix some herbs, crushed them, heat into pellets, that you get all those vitamins. Ok, I have some different opinion on millet sprays, that is ok. Organic veggies are not very available. I also do not offer cabbage family, including broccoli. Not very appropriate.
Still nobody persuaded me that pellets are necessary to keep budgies healthy. If you agree to state longetivity as the only criterium for healh, then I must say I have read no evidence about it makes budgies live long.
I do not offfer them mainly because budgies are desert birds, drinking small amount of water. If eating pellets would make them more thirsty, they would not have been drinking more water. and it would lead to kidney problems.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
But, as I mentioned, I offer mainly grass seeds, also millet SPRAYS which are not fatty at all, you can search it on internet. so I do not know what else would I offer to budgies with fatty lipomas.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Some people can eat peanuts some will die from eating peanuts- living beings are not all the same just because they are the same species!

Every budgie does not have the exact same metabolism as all others because each budgie has different genetics just as us humans do not all have the same metabolism and dietary needs- what my body may do best on can be extremely different to what yours will do best on (example- I cope fine on 2-4 hours of sleep every night even though I would like more but all the friends I have need a minimum of 6-8hrs sleep or they struggle to simply function)... all living beings are completely individual and unique and although we may have many similar needs and some similar or general traits we all need to make some tweaks and changes to suit each individual being.
This!!!! One thousand times this!. Every budgie is different just as every human is different. But to dismiss the nutritional value of a varied diet and exercise is a fools game. But life expectancy is what it is I guess. I would rather play the best odds but that's just me.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Lori, my point was that if my budgie or 2 budgies have fatty lipomas on the chest, I can not convert them to some other diet than the rest of my flock. IT is not possible to separate them. I am lazy on that. And nobody showed me an alternative to my diet which I provide. Millet spray are low in fat. THat is a truth.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
But, as I mentioned, I offer mainly grass seeds, also millet SPRAYS which are not fatty at all, you can search it on internet. so I do not know what else would I offer to budgies with fatty lipomas.
Are you saying some of your budgies have fatty lipomas ?
Also I didn’t understand the
Chlamydia do your birds have chlamydia @Pixiebeak can offer you good advice on this
To me it seems like you are set in your ways which if you want to care for your budgies this way is upto you but if you are saying that some of your budgies have fatty lipomas wouldn’t you want to accept some very good advice you have been given to help them life longer to have them with you longer you can’t really argue that your diet for them is the best one then state your budgies are the healthiest they can be

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Also I dont really understand what point you are trying to get across ?

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Emma, sorry, but I did not understand your point, even with translator. We have a language barrier. I have chronic chlamYdia, but under controll. To let nesting for budgies which have chlamydia is my decision. Also to take another budgie into flock with hidden chlamydia is my decision, I want the best for them. These fatty lipomas are not connected to thyroid problem. Pellets are not making life longer and not protecting against lipomas. Pellets are almost seeds, not big difference. But they are very dry.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Emma, sorry, but I did not understand your point, even with translator. We have a language barrier. I have chronic chlamYdia, but under controll. To let nesting for budgies which have chlamydia is my decision. Also to take another budgie into flock with hidden chlamydia is my decision, I want the best for them. These fatty lipomas are not connected to thyroid problem. Pellets are not making life longer and not protecting against lipomas. Pellets are almost seeds, not big difference. But they are very dry.
I give in really do good luck

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Again, I have not understood. Thank you.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Yes, I do. also when I had babies from those budgies, they were healthy with no symptoms till I gifted them.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Did they get a vet visit?

Did you tell those people those bird were hatched by a pair of birds with chlamydia?

Sorry. I don´t like this at all. I find it so irresponsible.
I 100% agree with you makes me scared to buy birds actually I am so glad mine go to vets and learnt quarantine from you amazing guys/girls

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
If you buy from a reputable breeder, that won´t happen.
It’s ok not getting anymore birds so I am safe