• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treats other than millet?

Dalrymple

Moving in
Boy, do budgies love millet. We know this. But it’s so messy! I know any sort of seed will get hulled and shed its shell, but is there anything I can use for training that won’t sprinkle those tiny bits everywhere?! And ideally no more (or better still, less) calorific than millet?

I see some videos online where people seem to be giving some individual seed/nugget pinched between fingers. I’ve seen some kind of sweet stuff given in a syringe (?!) and Yukariasagi on instagram has this super cool spoon with a sliding lid that can be used to give a tiny bit of seed, but she got from a local hardware shop and I cannot find it online!

Any other tips/ideas/hacks??

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I use pine nuts and sunflower seeds for my training and treats ;)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I use millet mostly but know what you mean does go everywhere nutriberries and sunflower seeds are another favourite in my house you can get dehulled sunflower seeds which would be less mess

Dalrymple

Moving in
Can budgies eat hazelnuts? You can buy bags of crushed hazelnuts, each morsel is like 2-3mm across, I wonder if one of those would be a good treat.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can budgies eat hazelnuts?
They can... but in moderation. Too many nuts (pieces of nut) is a lot of fat for a small bird.

You could smash an almond, use a few pieces of that, and then some other seeds and dried veggies etc ..... or just keep the hoover nearby ;)

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Safflower seeds are also a good option!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Was it a sliding measuring spoon? They’re probably going to be in the kitchen section of your grocery store.

AB22DD3F-EB82-4734-98FD-C83FF24373B4.jpeg

Treats wise, my guys liked crumbled pieces of nutriberries or avicakes. You could also use a variety of seeds like oat groats, wheat grass seeds, or safflower. If you like, you could even sprout them so that they’re healthier treats, but be sure to pat them dry well.

Dalrymple

Moving in
Was it a sliding measuring spoon? They’re probably going to be in the kitchen section of your grocery store.

View attachment 422252

Treats wise, my guys liked crumbled pieces of nutriberries or avicakes. You could also use a variety of seeds like oat groats, wheat grass seeds, or safflower. If you like, you could even sprout them so that they’re healthier treats, but be sure to pat them dry well.
It looks quite like this, but if you look, the sliding mechanism on the above is to block off a certain portion of the spoon to change the size to different measurements. It doesn’t actually cover the contents. I guess I could get one and try to break off the little vertical portion so it acts as a lid…

but in the instagram videos mentioned it’s a little lid that slides right over, so you can uncover, they have a beakful, and then close it back up again.
I’ve been away so haven’t done much training recently, hopefully back to if this week!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It looks quite like this, but if you look, the sliding mechanism on the above is to block off a certain portion of the spoon to change the size to different measurements. It doesn’t actually cover the contents. I guess I could get one and try to break off the little vertical portion so it acts as a lid…

but in the instagram videos mentioned it’s a little lid that slides right over, so you can uncover, they have a beakful, and then close it back up again.
I’ve been away so haven’t done much training recently, hopefully back to if this week!
Have you asked the instagram account owner where they got their spoon thing from? That is probably the easiest way for you to find the same one. Can you link the picture of the item you saw?

Dalrymple

Moving in
Winn - it isn’t, but that one would work I bet! Can’t get that one shipped but I can now search for levelling spoon, thanks!

Screenshots attached - people ask her often about the spoon but she has just said she got it from a local hardware store. I asked what it’s for, to help find one… she hasn’t replied… I partly wonder if the fact she’s got 87k followers on Instagram means she doesn’t want to give away her secrets?! But a more charitable guess is she just can’t answer every comment!

looking again, the top looks like it’s perforated, which makes me wonder if it’s a sprinkling or straining spoon…

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
8BEB4E3F-71AD-42B7-A6CF-989C5667F18F.png
I just typed into google sliding measuring spoon is this like it