• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Michigan Friends

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I haven't gone in years, they used to have rescues there. This article is from the second to the last time I went Parrot rescue at Pet Expo gives insight into misunderstood bird
I went the following year and it seemed to be more breeders, 1 of whom was actually on the board of directors of "rescue" and she had babies she bred there :grumpy: Walking around talking to them just pissed me off. A Sun Conure breeder was telling newbies how quiet Suns were :banghead:, he didn't like it when I told them them the truth :D so I left and have not been back since.

Please let me know if it's changed? If it has I might go to the next one.
Also if the bird club is there let me know if they still have the same donation jar with the same cockatoo on it!
Also make sure you take precautions with anything you buy there before exposing your birds to it, sanitize, sanitize and sanitize! I would go so far as to change clothing after going and before handling my birds.

Have fun, it really can be interesting and they do have great deals. Make sure you stop in at K - 9 Specialties which is at Chicago rd and Mound rd. they have a room for parrot stuff, and their prices can't be beat.

PS: Take pictures :D
we will take plenty of pics for sure! I want to see new toys and gadgets. I have several friends in the club but have never attended an event before.

Thanks for mentioning the K-9 specialty shop too. I live out Mound Rd off 24 mile and I will definitely be checking the place out!

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I haven't gone in years, they used to have rescues there. This article is from the second to the last time I went Parrot rescue at Pet Expo gives insight into misunderstood bird
I went the following year and it seemed to be more breeders, 1 of whom was actually on the board of directors of "rescue" and she had babies she bred there :grumpy: Walking around talking to them just pissed me off. A Sun Conure breeder was telling newbies how quiet Suns were :banghead:, he didn't like it when I told them them the truth :D so I left and have not been back since.

Please let me know if it's changed? If it has I might go to the next one.
Also if the bird club is there let me know if they still have the same donation jar with the same cockatoo on it!
Also make sure you take precautions with anything you buy there before exposing your birds to it, sanitize, sanitize and sanitize! I would go so far as to change clothing after going and before handling my birds.

Have fun, it really can be interesting and they do have great deals. Make sure you stop in at K - 9 Specialties which is at Chicago rd and Mound rd. they have a room for parrot stuff, and their prices can't be beat.

PS: Take pictures :D
It's not as good as it used to be that's for sure. It used to be so full of people and now it seems like there lucky if all the tables are full. They switched it to birds and fish. There's a few people selling toys and mostly the rest are breeders and random people.

Rainbow Feathers Bird Club and Rescue. There was a vet there at the last one with free samples of bird food like Harrison. But still not very many people selling stuff.

My family goes to both almost every time we can. There both not what they used to be years ago but still have some nice people. When the bird show was across from k9 is was better. I don't fully remember which one is which though I believe there both in newer(still a few years old) places but if you can remember when the bird show was across from k9 in the school they all used to be better back then.
Even the finch and canary breeders one isn't as full as it used to be.
Still hoping I can go and seen what they have and what its like this time.

we will take plenty of pics for sure! I want to see new toys and gadgets. I have several friends in the club but have never attended an event before.

Thanks for mentioning the K-9 specialty shop too. I live out Mound Rd off 24 mile and I will definitely be checking the place out!
K-9 specialty is by far the best and cheapest place to get a lot of animal stuff. Been going there my whole life as far as I remember. It's family owned and there's some pros and cons there. One of the worst things is trying to get them on the phone but in the store there more then happy to order some stuff special for you(when they can some stuff they just can't seem to order) and even have people to help load stuff in the car if needed. There dog and cat food takes up aisles and aisles. They have a whole room just for bird stuff(toys, cages, food). There fish items is just the back of 1 shelf really and there small animal stuff is a little lacking. I also don't think they have any reptile stuff. I knew some people that used to drive about 2 hours to go buy there bird stuff from k-9. I don't know them any more but they used to.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
How do you steal a soul of somebody that doesn't have one to begin with¿¿¿¿¿¿
I bet a fiddle of gold against her con artist way ....that were all better than her!!!!

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It's not as good as it used to be that's for sure. It used to be so full of people and now it seems like there lucky if all the tables are full. They switched it to birds and fish. There's a few people selling toys and mostly the rest are breeders and random people.

Rainbow Feathers Bird Club and Rescue. There was a vet there at the last one with free samples of bird food like Harrison. But still not very many people selling stuff.

My family goes to both almost every time we can. There both not what they used to be years ago but still have some nice people. When the bird show was across from k9 is was better. I don't fully remember which one is which though I believe there both in newer(still a few years old) places but if you can remember when the bird show was across from k9 in the school they all used to be better back then.
Even the finch and canary breeders one isn't as full as it used to be.
Still hoping I can go and seen what they have and what its like this time.

K-9 specialty is by far the best and cheapest place to get a lot of animal stuff. Been going there my whole life as far as I remember. It's family owned and there's some pros and cons there. One of the worst things is trying to get them on the phone but in the store there more then happy to order some stuff special for you(when they can some stuff they just can't seem to order) and even have people to help load stuff in the car if needed. There dog and cat food takes up aisles and aisles. They have a whole room just for bird stuff(toys, cages, food). There fish items is just the back of 1 shelf really and there small animal stuff is a little lacking. I also don't think they have any reptile stuff. I knew some people that used to drive about 2 hours to go buy there bird stuff from k-9. I don't know them any more but they used to.

They used to hold bird shows at birch run expo center. But a few years back the bird flu or avian flu canceled many shows and people didn't show up.
Outside of Frankenmuth at the zoo, they would hold the small bird exhibition. Parakeets of all kinds, and a few smaller parrots.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
@EkkieLu works for me! I'll be the one with a baby strapped to my chest :p