• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Melania!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Me and my girl cuddling after work..
She goes to sleep around 8 and when I come home at 10 she won't stop chatting and won't go back to sleep until I hang out with her for a little bit!

She still usually has those twitches when she gets super relaxed at night, but its not even close to as bad as it used to be.
Sweet nighttime cuddles are the very best!

Try small slices of that 2x4. It's easier to chip away and more likely to get/keep her busy.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Mel is still not really playing with toys, I've started switching a bunch out every couple days to see if she'd like any of them, but all she wants to do is
Scream
Kiss me
Cuddle
Scream
Poop
Cuddle
Run on the floor
Climb up my leg
Eat almonds
Whisper in my ear

She's still not eating the best, but if I heat her food up, she tends to eat it more no matter what it is, she LIVES for sweet potato.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Throwback to when I said I'd keep these updated all the time.. LOL

So on update on Mel Mel

I know I've said it before, but her bond and mine are just so incredibly different than any of my other animals including birds. My room has been 76 degrees the past couple nights since I picked up my baby hedgehog. I can't handle sleeping that way so I'm going to have to find a really good CHE or something to cover her 15sq ft, but Mel has been LOVING it, she's been talking up a storm in there. Her new favourite place is sitting outside.
When I get home at night from work (I know I shouldn't wake her up but) I go in my room and out comes a whisper of "Helloooo, hello? I love you, whatcha doin?" I take her out and we just spend like an hour of time together on the couch watching some TV, right now we are finishing Atypical on netflix.

I got some foot toys from @Mizzely from RLS and they have been the FIRST thing she's ever played with from what I've seen! I was so excited!!! She also had found a reusable, red, Starbucks cup she has a long going obsession with. She sticks her head in, and for hours just taps it and talks into it, I think the longest has been THREE HOURS STRAIGHT. I've tried to get a video so many times but as soon as she sees me, she just whips her head out like "What are YOU looking at? I ain't doin anything.

She still won't really fly unless she's spooked, not even for an almond or a walnut. Target training is going way better than I thought it would have ever gotten to. She was terrified of the stick before and now she even walks towards it. I can't think of much more to say besides her being just an absolute little floor shark.

1589728114758.png 1589728141936.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She still won't really fly unless she's spooked,
In that case, harness training would be a good idea as taking her outside with no harness or cage is risky/dangerous.

Ladybirdy

Meeting neighbors
She's been really weird today and I don't know if I should be worried or not
She will usually do anything to be on you and she does her little meeps whenever I wake up in the morning.

She wouldn't come out if the cage and just stayed there with her foot up and her beak slightly open and cracking her beak not really grinding it. The foot up threw me off because that obviously means contentment but it didnt really seem like it.

Does cracking the beak mean anything? Or am I just looking too much into it and she's grinding it in a different way.

Has anyone used sock sweaters for your pluckers? How did that go? She gets really cold I usually turn on my space heater for her (ceramic of course)
Hi, I'm a new member and I just wanted to ask what brand and model of ceramic space heater you use? I'm looking to buy a room heater for both me and my cockatiel. Thank you much for your reply :)

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi, I'm a new member and I just wanted to ask what brand and model of ceramic space heater you use? I'm looking to buy a room heater for both me and my cockatiel. Thank you much for your reply :)
You will get more input on safe heaters to use if you post a thread of your own about this.... hopefully you have done that as well :)

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Lasko heaters are the only ones i know of that have no teflon and are ceramic! Thats what i use, not sure about the model though i believe all their products are the same.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I wanted to show off Mel's feather growth!!
Here is a picture of her in March

And here are two pictures taken today!

She's been doing so well and is so much happier than I've ever seen her lately! Shes finally playing with toys but its only been foot toys. She's destroyed all of the ones I got from SWS a long time ago so i think i might have to order some more soon from @Mizzely (; as she doesnt much like the ones I've tried to make her. She's not getting the harness on quite yet but shes letting her head in and letting me lay it on her so far but not for very long and not clipped yet but i think she'll get there. She's been spending a lot of time on the kitchen table since my dad has been working at home since March and he slips her nuts once in awhile and she adores that. Shes been eating so well too!

Attachments

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hi! Mel is really letting her feathers grow in this time! There's a couple coloured ones coming in! She's starting to fly once in awhile!!!!! 3 times this week she flew either to me or to my dad! I'm so proud of how far she has come. She's been eating super well but once in awhile she'll still have a day where she just throws everything out. Lately her favourite has been corn.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm excited about this feather progress. And flight! Sweet, sweet flight!

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Just read through the entire thread! Mel is beautiful, and enjoyed reading about your and her progress :)

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
LOVE the new feathers, she looks great! So happy for both of you and your beautiful relationship :heart:
I must concur with the statement the LMBT foot toys are a gateway drug lol They were one of Wild Bill's first favorite toys here too. He still likes to bang them around (not really chew of course- just bang like the noisemaker he is!) every morning :lol:

Keep the updates coming please!