• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Melania!

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hello miss,
Glad your new lifetime buddy is there!
I’m traveling, so need to be short. But I would strongly urge you to stay away from mixing chia seeds in the chop :)

first few days with Ekkies, focus on higher citrus if possible. And make sure your new love and your green don’t share any airspace! 30 days minimum-

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Hello miss,
Glad your new lifetime buddy is there!
I’m traveling, so need to be short. But I would strongly urge you to stay away from mixing chia seeds in the chop :)

first few days with Ekkies, focus on higher citrus if possible. And make sure your new love and your green don’t share any airspace! 30 days minimum-
I hope you have safe travelling! Thank you for the advice on chia seeds, when you eventually have a chance could you tell me why no chia? They're in completely different rooms for now, we are actually at a vet appt for her rn. I'll buy a bunch of citrus tomorrow and see what she likes but I'll give her some lime and grapefruit tonight.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Vet Visit Results

Weight:
440g

Tested: Polyomavirus, Beak and Feather, Chlamydia, results in a week. Bloodwork also done and will get to me tomorrow or this weekend. Feces looked at under a microscope.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Well, since she was free fed pellets in her foster home, I gave her some. She ate all of them, I wish she'd go for the fruits and veggies. But I think she went for the pellets since they are kind of the one constant in her life right now. They said she is a really good eater of chop and stuff so I think it will be a couple days. Really looking forward to weaning her off those pellets!

SHE. IS. MY. BABY. I adore her!! She is such a little character. I bought her an apple and cut it up in my car for her today since I was eating as well, she looked at me, grabbed the cup, and whipped it everywhere. THEN PROCEEDED TO LAUGH AS I PICKED THEM UP!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I bought her an apple and cut it up in my car for her today since I was eating as well, she looked at me, grabbed the cup, and whipped it everywhere. THEN PROCEEDED TO LAUGH AS I PICKED THEM UP!
...Milton does the same thing... ;)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sassypants!

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
She is such a little character. I bought her an apple and cut it up in my car for her today since I was eating as well, she looked at me, grabbed the cup, and whipped it everywhere. THEN PROCEEDED TO LAUGH AS I PICKED THEM UP!
It is her way of reminding you that she owns you, lest you forget.
Toby The Eclectus does the same to me. He trains me daily.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I hope you have safe travelling! Thank you for the advice on chia seeds, when you eventually have a chance could you tell me why no chia? They're in completely different rooms for now, we are actually at a vet appt for her rn. I'll buy a bunch of citrus tomorrow and see what she likes but I'll give her some lime and grapefruit tonight.
Oh, I saw they were on the same cage in your room by the aloha hat? Maybe I was mistaken.

Chia seeds are in fact a rich source of fiber, protein and omegas. But they do adsorb up to 27 times in water.
So for birds that have the unique digestive tract (ekkies, which I explained earlier), chia should be cautioned as if not completely expanded prior to consumption, the gel that forms may cause an obstruction (not enough to be deadly- but enough to cause false feelings of fullness and digestive upset). Of course this depends on the quantity.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Oh, I saw they were on the same cage in your room by the aloha hat? Maybe I was mistaken.

Chia seeds are in fact a rich source of fiber, protein and omegas. But they do adsorb up to 27 times in water.
So for birds that have the unique digestive tract (ekkies, which I explained earlier), chia should be cautioned as if not completely expanded prior to consumption, the gel that forms may cause an obstruction (not enough to be deadly- but enough to cause false feelings of fullness and digestive upset). Of course this depends on the quantity.
He was hanging out on the top a lot before she came, dont worry not anymore! Thank you for the explanation!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I gave Mel a shelled almond, and she LOVES it. She saw it in my hand and ran over to the corner of the top of her cage and leaned over to it. She grabbed it and dunked it into her water bowl (which now I have to give her new water!) and proceeded to crack it open! I got the lorikeet powder that @mythic55 recommended and she LOVES it, I mixed it in with the sprouts on her dinner tonight! She's eating a lot better now. She is a little chatterbox I love her, she has this gorgeous sounding little whistle she does once in awhile!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Bloodwork came back great! She had some Volkman soak and simmer for breakfast. I don’t know how she liked it because I picked up a shift for 8-2 today. I put it on the stove and my dad gave it to her. (Hopefully the amount I told him). Yesterday I wasn’t feeling the best I had a BAD migraine and stayed in bed all day which made my brain go a little wonky with just being by myself and thinking and everything. She was so sweet yesterday and wouldn’t stop saying “Hello, hello hello” until I responded, every time I leave or enter her room she just always does a little questioning “Mmm?” And if I don’t respond she screams bloody murder. I really never wanted a rescue but I’ve had here for 3 day so and she’s the love of my life. Sweetest baby ever.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Isla is nesting under a book case ): Mel got out once and she kept trying to get to Isla. I asked her to step up right as Isla bit her toe. Mel ended up biting my toe (which hurts hella bad now) and drew blood and won't step up. She's sitting scared in a corner. I gave her a couple sunflower seeds and I'm letting her calm down before I try to do anything. I'm not discouraged just a little POed at Isla.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Female ekkies are extremely territorial, they will bring the worst out in most birds. Other hookbills should not be in the presence for 30 days.
Then it is a slow integration. I know you love her- but also think of the rest of your flock- that test didnt cover pdd.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Female ekkies are extremely territorial, they will bring the worst out in most birds. Other hookbills should not be in the presence for 30 days.
Then it is a slow integration. I know you love her- but also think of the rest of your flock- that test didnt cover pdd.
She's been quarantined its my own fault. I left the door open a smidge to go to the bathroom and she opened it the rest of the way to get out.
Oops also it did cover PDD i thought i typed that in it

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I saw the Poly, but not pdd (bornavirus).. . PDD is usually a two or three stage test- requires a serum (so it is blood, plus clocoa swab, etc- can not be mailed out as it is sensitive). If it did in fact cover PDD- thats great. It is one of the many major causes of feather plucking-

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I saw the Poly, but not pdd (bornavirus).. . PDD is usually a two or three stage test- requires a serum (so it is blood, plus clocoa swab, etc- can not be mailed out as it is sensitive). If it did in fact cover PDD- thats great. It is one of the many major causes of feather plucking-
I did see them swab her cloaca and I’m pretty sure they said bornavirus. They also looked at her poop under a microscope. If he doesn’t mention it on the phone on Thursday or Wednesday I will. Hope my brain didn’t make the mistake

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
No mistake on your part ;) , it is not a stanard test unless they are pluckers (which mel is) or very ill. We had it infect half a flock of rescues, so I am overly sensitive. I believe more need to test for it. There is no cure, its only management until death. Many will be asymptomatic- that is how it got into the rescue and infected 40+ birds even after quarantine and most passed away a few years later.

Its good to stay curious :)

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
She has been screaming non stop today. I swear today is the day I go deaf. I've been leaving the 1.14 everytime she screams but it still won't stop. I'm wondering if it's just one of those days. Everytime I leave the room she does a small kra to call for me.

Also my friends have been really weird lately about me getting another bird and they haven't come over since I've had Mel or Basil so I have to deal with that.

Yesterday was a really hard day at work, my client had a bad behaviour and she twisted my arm and I'm the first person she's bitten in 2 years and my arm is pretty swollen. I have a headache and I wish Mel would be screaming a different day but thats how it goes.

Putting her on my bed with me helped for about 10 minutes and then she started screaming again. So I'm thinking its a day I'm gonna hang out with Basil not Mel. Since Mel's disease testing hasn't come back, me and my dad have been switching days to hang out with them because we're spooked about cross contamination with Mel. The results should come back today or tomorrow.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
She is adjusting- Just do the best you can for her.
She needs you- she is special needs, and will require A LOT of extra care.
Heavy birds (like ekkies) are not like other species. Welcome to why people abandon Eclectus (companion ekkie lifespane is now only on average 8 years due to improper diet- stomach ache 24/7- which causes screaming, biting, plucking, abandonment). Once they reach maturity. Yikes- they will let you have it! Kinda like Amazons.

Listen to what people say around you- but apply it to YOUR life.
People said to me 'Macaw?! go for it!' (Rationally- yep. Financially- absolutely. Emotionally..... I needed to be honest with myself and current ekkie commitments).

Of course I love Ekkies, but the 'honeymoon' phase will fade. Now is the tine to start training, learning, and expending massive amount of time-

We are here for you, just ask away. But what you are feeling is compketely normal, and more than likely going to be part of you normal life (and the life of all your flock- both ekkies especially!)

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Try starting target training.... all you need is a chop stick and a mouth!
(clicker sound, chop stick, and some treats- 1/8 a almond)