• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Splash and Smudge

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just a wee update.
With the departure of Smudge I thought I would have problems with Splash on his own. But he isn't. He is now good friends with Tau the tiel. I still wouldn't trust them in a cage together and I never will, but they are regularly at the divider together preening each other. I was ready to put the solid divider in but I don't think it's needed right now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
Splash is so gorgeous! :xflove: Hopefully the poor little chap will regrow his feathers and be zipping around again before you know it!

Now, how long until you take in the next budgie in need? :D

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That is SO sad that Smudge attacked Splash. It makes me sad that he had to be rehomed, but you cannot let him hurt Splash, and it's a very good thing you were attentive to see what happened. I hope Splash will recover fine mentally and physically too. Great job on taking care of them!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is nice to hear that everyone is settling in. It can be so dramatic to rearrange the flock.

I look forward to more photos of their cute little faces :xflove::xflove:

Reactions: ELS

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
Hiya @Ripshod, how are you holding up? I saw some of your other threads and thought I'd give you a nudge to see how things are. :)

How are Splash and Tau? Any pictures?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'll have to get some photos for you guys, I have a photo of Tau on Wednesday but it's through bars. I really want a pic or two of them on the divider but as soon as I get close they run and hide like naughty children.
Tau, aka Chopface:
_20190503_082430.JPG

*Edit* That pic really shows the yellow banding across his breast/belly.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Splash is adoreable!!!! Too bad Smudge turned out to attack him so badly.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Tau is beautiful.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Splash has been hands-off since Smudge's departure but we made progress this last week. I could get him to step-up onto a perch to begin with, then to my finger if there was millet in view, then Wednesday he started spepping up to a reward later.
We turned a corner this morning. He jumped on my hand and stayed with me for 5 minutes. I had to return him to the cage as Tau was protesting the lack of food in his cage.
I sorted Tau, then went back to work a little more with Splash, who was waiting on his door perch. And we worked, and worked, made great progress, to the point I could cup my hand over his back and flip him over.
So I had a little check around aaaand......

....... EVERY missing feather is growing back great. Flights are around half inch long and his tail feathers are just starting to show.
I am really, really releived now that I didn't do the clip, that decision has paid off for him. Another few weeks and Splash will be in the air again.

He's sleeping the excitement off:
_20190505_093503.JPG
His new tail. Can you see it?
_20190505_100857.JPG

Please excuse my poop shirt. I don't wear it outside - honest.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's gorgeous & a luv!!!! Love the lemon chiffon & the light spangle & the sky blue on his chest/ back!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't know what's happened, and I'm not going to try and understand it. He's changed. I said earlier that he's been very hands-off since Smudge left, but now I seem to have a velcro bird.
I let him stay with me for an hour or so earlier, then popped him back in his cage to eat and have a drink. I went and made a cuppa and sat back down to watch TV. Next thing he's at his cage door calling,so I went over and opened the door for him. He didn't want to step up so I left him to explore the ropes and perches, and sat back down.
15 minutes later he's at the side of me, climbs my shirt and settles down on my chest. I give a few scritches then leave him to it.
2 hours later he's still here. I've given him a piece of millet, which he has eaten. He's chewing and scratching at my shirt, rubbing his head on me, and giving those contented baby chick chirps.
Seems I've unleashed a little snuggle monster.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's a smarty & knows you saved him & he's a darling!!!
Is he on meds? Healing from the other bird?

Will likely grow independent but now you are his source of comfort & safety...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He's a smarty & knows you saved him & he's a darling!!!
Is he on meds? Healing from the other bird?

Will likely grow independent but now you are his source of comfort & safety...
He's on metacam, but very much reduced and probably off it in a couple of days. Now that you mention that it makes sense - he's feeling a lot more comfortable now the swelling and bruising is gone.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Adorable ❤❤❤❤

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know what's happened, and I'm not going to try and understand it. He's changed. I said earlier that he's been very hands-off since Smudge left, but now I seem to have a velcro bird.
I let him stay with me for an hour or so earlier, then popped him back in his cage to eat and have a drink. I went and made a cuppa and sat back down to watch TV. Next thing he's at his cage door calling,so I went over and opened the door for him. He didn't want to step up so I left him to explore the ropes and perches, and sat back down.
15 minutes later he's at the side of me, climbs my shirt and settles down on my chest. I give a few scritches then leave him to it.
2 hours later he's still here. I've given him a piece of millet, which he has eaten. He's chewing and scratching at my shirt, rubbing his head on me, and giving those contented baby chick chirps.

Sounds like you're doing an amazing job with training and bonding with him.

Just a word of caution though.... if he's at his cage door calling for attention, try not to give in to it. This can become a very bad habit and by opening the door and letting him out is only re-enforcing the bad behaviour. Try to only let him out when he's calmed himself down and is sitting on a perch quietly. You'll thank yourself in the future :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Tau, AKA Chopface:
:coffeescreen:

I am really, really releived now that I didn't do the clip, that decision has paid off for him.
Wow. That´s fantastic news! Yea, you really did know best!! I´m so happy for you both! :D

That´s not always a bad thing :xflove::joyful::rolleyes:

Adorable photos!! Your birds are gorgeous!❤❤❤

Please excuse my poop shirt. I don't wear it outside - honest.
Pff, wear the poop shirt with pride!:smuggrin:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just a word of caution though.... if he's at his cage door calling for attention, try not to give in to it. This can become a very bad habit and by opening the door and letting him out is only re-enforcing the bad behaviour. Try to only let him out when he's calmed himself down and is sitting on a perch quietly. You'll thank yourself in the future
Already in action on that. He was at his cage door when I opened the lounge door, I just went straight to the kitchen and made breakfast. I waited, not too long, til he'd eaten some and gone to the top of the cage. That's when I opened the cage. He stayed in to finish preening then did his usual (now) inspection of the perches and ropes before sitting by me. The little angel didn't climb on to me. He sat there patiently til I offered my finger and he joined me for some mutual preening (I need a hair cut). On and off today we've had 2hrs together today, plus an hour with Tau playing as well. It's as if they know what I want. We'll see if they remember what I showed them when bedtime comes around.
So it looks like I AM going to get back to the open doors policy I've always tried to run. Open doors after breakfast, but back in the cages if I have to go out or get visitors, then doors closed at night. Target training with a clicker has always worked for me.
Going to let them explore my phone, maybe I'll get some good photos later this week.