• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating finches

PineappleQuee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elize
Hay guys. I have 2 zebra finches. A white female and a striped male. I got them about a week ago from the pet shop. I am unsure of their age. They live in my room where it is very peaceful and since it is cold, I warm up a hot water bottle and place it on top of the cage near the highest pitch and cover most of the cage up with a thick wool blanket, leaving the front open. Since the 4th day after getting them. They have started to mate. Since then, they have been mating regularly. So I went to the pet shop and got th a covered woven basket net with nesting materials. But they haven’t built a nest or shown much interest in the materials, but they continue to mate and it’s starting to happen a couple times a day. Does anyone know what I can do or what’s going on?

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

I don't know much about finches.
I do think their breeding season should be related to the seasons where you live though. If its cold where you are then they are out of sink with their breeding cycle.
What time of year is it where you are?
If its autumn or winter dont provide any nesting sites... its too early.
However if your climate is a cold one and you were interested in breeding them then you need advice on artificial lighting and day lengths of lighting.
Sorry I can't be of further help

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Oh I would suggest if the room is warm enough for you then don't provide the hot water bottle..they may think that spring has arrived

Serin

Zebra finches only have one breeding season, and it is always. If there's food and water, they will breed. Only provide a nest if you want babies, and are prepared to deal with them when they grow up as usually the parents will not tolerate them in the cage unless it is very large.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would not breed the birds yet. You haven't had them long, they are not settled in, I assume you haven't run a full course health protocol.

When you breed them on purpose, you want to have all the equipment necessary: nest, safe nesting material, quarantine cage or tank with proper heating device, hand feeding food and a syringe in case you have to feed the babies or, heaven forbid, a parent dies.

You also want to have the birds in tip top condition which includes feeding them pellets, egg food and chop in addition to their seed. They are not in top shape right now --they could be very young or they could have vitamin deficiencies or parasites.....I could go on but you see the point I am sure.

Take away the nest for now, concentrate on getting to know your little friends. Make sure if you do decide to breed them that you can get homes -- I had a man literally shove 6 barely weaned zebras at me -- he was crying because his bred so much and he couldn't get rid of them~! He had a big cage with little cages sticking out in every direction. (@Atomiklan got a graphic for that?? The WV zebra finch cage?)

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@finchly
All very good points. I had no idea what prolific breeders finches are. I bet you have your work cut out during their constant breeding. Are the sexes seperated to give the hens a rest?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@finchly
All very good points. I had no idea what prolific breeders finches are. I bet you have your work cut out during their constant breeding. Are the sexes seperated to give the hens a rest?
Yes. I only put them together at the beginning of breeding season and then after that clutch is weaned, for a 2nd clutch.

However mine are Gouldians. They follow the rules a little better! :D

PineappleQuee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elize
I have done so much research before hand and during having the birds. They have been mating since I put them in a cage together by themselves and don’t have enough money to buy another cage to seperate them. I give them a steady diet of almost anything they can eat and they have a lot of toys and attention. Even when I remove the nest and the matterials, they continue to mate. I have already made sure that they are perfectly healthy by taking them to the vet. And it is winter here and my living space is way too cold for even me so I do like to keep a hot water bottle on top of the cage only over night because it can get extremely cold. Even for me. And I do have dul lights around the cage so they can see during the night. But still doesn’t matter what I do. Both of them continue to mate

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It doesn’t matter. You do not have to provide a nest and carry it through even if they are mating. You can do a few things to lessen it: less daylight hours, rearrange cage often, give less protein. I string fake flowers and leaves through the cage so they can play in it. Also be sure to provide a swing.

But even if they mate and produce an egg just throw it away.

PineappleQuee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elize
They thing is, I want babies. But I’m just unsure of their age and if it will effect their health

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
As everyone has pretty much already said, take away the nest. Giving them the nest was the biggest problem. They are going to try to mate all the time. They have food and water and a safe place to live. Its the ideal breeding environment. That's what they do haha. Eventually the female may get to a point where (assuming you have removed everything ie nest, nesting material, platforms where they could build a nest, etc) she may get tired of the males advances and she will run from him. This is what Emma does now with Charlie. Charlie sings to her and puffs up trying to score, but Emma hops away. Its always so cute and very sad. Charlie always looks so pitiful afterwards. Anyways... It can even get to the point sometimes where the male will become sexually frustrated and may lash out, but they will get over it eventually. Like we have all said though... remove ALL nesting opportunities and materials. This includes places in the cage that they may be able to try to nest too. Charlie tries to build in the V of a perch with lettuce sometimes.

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel. I brought my "finchys" home last year and was in a very similar situation. I wanted to give them a nest because they were so cute in it, and they were getting frisky too. I mean come on... Look at them... They are adorable in it!
1.jpg 6.jpg

You are most likely having a lot of the same thoughts and ideas that I did too when I first got them. It will pass. Soon you will realize that you have to do whats best for them, and not for you. Constant mating and resultant egg laying as others will tell you in more detail is very tough on the female. It was a tough road to remove C&E's coconut nest. I spent SEVERAL hours custom building it from scratch and even wired in lights! They both have lights in the pictures above, but the larger white coconut is the custom home I built. Thumbnail on the left. There is a post somewhere about it. In the end though, the home had to go. Not ideal anyways for breeding. I am in the process of over engineering a breeding box for finches. Eveyone's advice here is sound and I should probably stop repeating. Just start getting to know your new family members. You have all the time in the world to breed them later.

Look up some of my old posts as a lot of them may be relevant to you since I am a new finch owner too. Also check out my YouTube page (AtomiFlock). There is a lot of good finch related videos that I have taken along my journey with them.

(@Atomiklan got a graphic for that?? The WV zebra finch cage?)
And @finchly I think you are talking about this comment I made from this older post haha: Generic breeding question | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Ironically, that's a post right on topic. You might enjoy reading that over @PineappleQuee

Last edited:

PineappleQuee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elize
How long does it usually take for them to be “ready” to actually breed and raise a clutch?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
And @finchly I think you are talking about this comment I made from this older post haha: Generic breeding question | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Yes! LOL at the least. We could have a lot of fun with that. *will head to photoshop later.*

** but my pic wont be as interesting as your fractal.

How long does it usually take for them to be “ready” to actually breed and raise a clutch?
I wait until they are well over one year old. Then you need to remember the first time around they don’t know what they are doing. They might be great parents, or they might not sit on the eggs, may sit on infertile eggs for weeks, may not feed the baby etc.

And again - how to rehome the babies. Keep that in mind. You don’t want to end up with as many birds as I have, or do you? It sounds like you’re really anxious to breed them.

In general I only breed to produce show quality birds (better the species) or to work on a specific color mutation. There is no need to breed just for breeding; too many in rescue for that. Our local rescue sometimes gets in whole flocks of 70+ zebra finches. Just sayin.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They thing is, I want babies. But I’m just unsure of their age and if it will effect their health
Sorry I had missed this post.

Why don’t you feed them very very well for 6 months. During that time study up on breeding, buy. Yourself a brooder or make one from a smalll fish tank, etc. then they will be healthy and strong, and probably close to the right age. I mean they’re not babies right now, right?

BTW we love photos!

Serin

Unlike the others, I would not at all be inclined to discourage them, or wait over a year for zebras to mature. Zebras are sexually mature at three months. They live by a breed fast, die young strategy in the wild and there are ZERO further maturations to occur once they get their adult colors. There will be no changes in the birds after that time and if you want to breed them that young, if they're willing, they will be fine. I have bred finches at this age - or rather, the finches did it themselves in an aviary, and no issues whatsoever.

If you want to breed the finches, they are adults and they are old enough. Give them a nest and they will figure it out. Get them on a good diet of seeds, pellets, greens and hard boiled egg, provide eggshell and cuttlebone and you are unlikely to ever experience egg binding - I've raised hundreds of finches (plus tiels, budgies, and doves), and not dealt with it yet because my birds eat well and get exercise out of the cage (females kept in cages all the time and not bieng able to fly is a big factor in eggbinding, I suspect.)

Zebra finches are super easy to breed and usually they do everything just fine themselves. I have never had to interfere. But they can be aggressive. Be prepared to remove the chicks once they are weaned, or dad may attack them.

Zebras love a nest, and a nest provides enrichment to them to build it. You can keep one in the cage at all times, but they will breed frequently. If you don't want further chicks after the first clutch just pop little holes in the tops of the eggs with a pin. They will still sit for up to a month on each clutch, and so in the end the female don't lay that many eggs a year.

I am personally familiar with female zebra finches which have laid four to five eggs a month every month all year, and have still reach 10+ years of age. They are extremely well adapted to reproduce like mice, and with a good diet, it won't harm them. Most zebra hens will lay eggs no matter what, in food cups, water troughs, anything at all they can fit into, and if not just on the cage floor. I have a friend with zebra hens who would lay en egg every single night on the floor! She gave them nests, and they would then lay just a few and sit for a ong time - so with a nest they were laying much less. Other finches usually will not lay without a nest, or will only do so sporadically - my society hen and canary if I don't give them nests will drop a couple every few weeks through this time of year, and they usually break and get eaten. But zebras are a different animal and their determination to lay is remarkable.