• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Many linnies...

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
For those of you with a linnie flock...

I've had a wild hair for awhile now to just get 4-5 linnies and a nice double flight cage and have myself a little linnie flock. I was wondering how you went about it? Did you get them all at once? From the same breeder? Are they difficult to socialize with?

I don't know that this will ever happen... but these are the details that keep me up at night :lol:

Harleymomma

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
This is my Emmie, she was a rescue, I have the opportunity to rescue another one, but I am worried about Emmie taking to the new bird. Emmie is like a little child, and hates change, should I house them together, I am leaving on a business trip in 4 weeks. Do you think they will be buddies by then or should I let the next person on the list take the other bird

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
In answer to both your questions...A linnie flock is fairly easy to get together as they are very sociable little birds..your Emmie is a cutie pie...you always take a chance with getting another bird...Get a bird ..always quarantine..30 days at least...do not just stick another bird in her cage and expect them to get along..that could be a recipe for disaster.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Many cheekies you mean? I can hook you up!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ha! How did I go about it? Are you really sure you want to know?:) Well, I met one in person and fell head over heels in love and found a breeder and she had five. We choose two because all our research told us we should have at least two and because we weren't going to have them around the bigger birds, we wanted two. We took them home and the next day, I could have sworn that one of them had died but I was just being an idiot of course, but I couldn't stand the idea of possibly losing one and only having one left so we contacted the breeder and wanted to get one more but found out that they don't tend to do well in threesomes, so we decided to get two more but couldn't choose two more and felt badly leaving just one behind, so we got all three! The initial five were raised together and did EVERYTHING together and were so cute! But I really wanted some blue ones, so we got two more. We got one big HUGE cage and added two more to the mix and they assimilated fairly well and then we added two more and they assimilated fairly well too. We lost one but then gained one who needed a home who probably grew up with our first five. He took about a week to find out he was living in Linnie heaven and is now just one of the gang. We added an older one who needed a home last May and she took a little longer to fit in but is now doing just fine. Then we just recently lost another one, so we are back down to nine but all are happy. They squabble sometimes and one of our original five over preens some of the others, but other than that, they are a complete joy. They don't like hands and are fully flighted and we're ok with that. They are very curious and come out and hang out with us but aren't overjoyed by being handled by us. They are very friendly in their own sense as long as we don't try to handle them. They like to sit on our heads, shoulders, arms, etc, on their terms and they like to eat our food. I really enjoy them and they live in our living room where we see them all the time. They can get loud when you get into larger numbers. I can't imagine life without them now.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I was hoping you'd respond, Jen!!! What sort of a cage do you have them in? Double flight or something larger?

Many cheekies you mean? I can hook you up!
I couldn't handle that many cheekies and I know it! Josie is a force of her own!

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Jen, did you post your linnie flock's cage set up in the cage set up sticky? I couldn't find it on there. :o:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That's some cage!!! Do they stay mainly at the top?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'll have to put it in the cage sticky. Nope, they use the whole cage even the bottom which tweaks me because the cage doesn't have a grate. Honestly, if I had the money, I'd go EH for them, totally redesigned, but I haven't won the lottery yet!:) LOL! They do very well in the current cage other than the fact that I can't keep them from eating disgarded food off the bottom which drives me crazy. It used to be easy to get them to get off the bottom but now they ignore me when I chastise them!;)