• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male lovebirds

Conurehous

Moving in
Real Name
Opal Ferrand
Hello everyone! I’m still a little new here and I have conures but a friend of mine who I have turned onto birds is very interested in having a male lovie, they’re still looking for options but it has come down to a green cheek or a male love bird.

They said they’ve read that lovebird hens tend to be a little more nippy than males but I haven’t personally owned a lovebird. Can anyone share their love bird stories??

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
I have a lovebird and green cheek conures

I am going to get shot but never again after Indie will I own a female lovebird I am not saying all are like this but this is my personal experience
She’s a cow bag will bite for no reason fly to me for a treat then nail my fingers hands over treat or just fly at me and start biting anything she can shes very cage territorial and yes it a flat no from me I love her to bits couldn’t be without her there’s so much that’s lovely about her but I personally my opinion the negative out ways the positive she’s my hardest bird by far

pico who I lost on Boxing Day is my heart he was such an amazing little man so clever so charming just such a pleasure to own
I miss him so much he was so friendly with whole family even visitors but always came back to check I was there
I will say maybe it was just him but he did get over sexual with things that was really his only bad point and it was manageable

@Zara and @TikiMyn are best to ask hopefully they come and share

Conurehous

Moving in
Real Name
Opal Ferrand
:hello:
I have a lovebird and green cheek conures

I am going to get shot but never again after Indie will I own a female lovebird I am not saying all are like this but this is my personal experience
She’s a cow bag will bite for no reason fly to me for a treat then nail my fingers hands over treat or just fly at me and start biting anything she can shes very cage territorial and yes it a flat no from me I love her to bits couldn’t be without her there’s so much that’s lovely about her but I personally my opinion the negative out ways the positive she’s my hardest bird by far

pico who I lost on Boxing Day is my heart he was such an amazing little man so clever so charming just such a pleasure to own
I miss him so much he was so friendly with whole family even visitors but always came back to check I was there
I will say maybe it was just him but he did get over sexual with things that was really his only bad point and it was manageable

@Zara and @TikiMyn are best to ask hopefully they come and share
Thank you so much for sharing!! I, myself, really wanted a lovebird but I heard a lot of things especially with having hens and I just kind of got intimidated which is funny cause I have bigger a sun and greencheek now.

I will show this post to my friend thank you so so much! <3

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thank you so much for sharing!! I, myself, really wanted a lovebird but I heard a lot of things especially with having hens and I just kind of got intimidated which is funny cause I have bigger a sun and greencheek now.

I would take a bite from my green cheek conure over indie female lovebird any day of week she bites to hurt and honestly she really hurts and doesn’t let go sometimes

but my male lovebird was so gentle obviously this depends on each bird as they are individual but I read so much about female lovebirds being a lot like indie
My vet says she should calm down as she 2now and first hormonal season worse but she still came up today all sweet making her kiss noise flipped around perch I gave safflower seed and she fully bite my finger made it bleed and flew off
She knows no bite as if she playing nice listens but if she that way out nope

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well my first bird was a male peachfaced lovebird, and he was the perfect bird. The bird that everyone is searching for, that was him. He was absolutely gorgeous, he was so gentle, sweet, playful, full of character in a positive way, loved some scritches, no issues with undesired behaviour, was not noisey aside from the odd pi-pew he was quite quiet, he was social and loved greeting any house guests. Truly a gem.
My second male was similar but didn't like scritches, was a lot noisier.
The third was another gentle soul - I am currently medicating him and even when I grab him to give meds and clean his wound he won't ever bite.
The fourth male is skittish for some reason, and I have no idea why so he will only tolerate me and no other humans, not even my partner :shrug:
Though don't be fooled into thinking they are angels, because they will charge and attack each other when they want to.

I do think that a male peachfaced lovebird is an absoutely lovely choice for a bird, personally I find them so easy to care for. But I think that if not given the right conditions, they can be skittish and even bitey. So they are not an "easy" bird, you still have to put in the work and research first.

Invite them to join the site and have a look around and read some threads :)

Nala92

Meeting neighbors
Before I got my lovebird Taco, I really wanted a male lovebird. The breeder was for sure Taco was a male. "I am breeding lovebirds for soooo long. The character. The bird is a male!", we were still waiting for the DNA results. But she knew for sure. Had such a "I know for sure", aura about her. And well. Taco is a female.
And there is a reason why I wanted a male.

Taco cannot have paper, because she will nest and bite. I hate hate hate HATE it but, for her own safety I needed to clip her wings. She thinks shes a match for my RB2. Flies in the cages. And because she is so fast, she can easily be there before I am.

So yeah. If I ever go for another lovebird, I will wait for the DNA results before I take one home :D
( I do love her )