• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male budgies fighting

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Most birds thrive on routines . Try and establish a few. Important that they get 12 hours of quality sleep. That means no human noises like music or TV. Are flight feathers cut? Before they fly make sure a small room is safe for flight. Exercise will help calm them both down. Adding more birds at this point is like adding fuel to the fire. Millet is a big treat you can give once in a while held in your hand.

Why did the breeder sell you two budgies with such a gap in age?
I got it! Would it also be a good idea to give them food according to mealtime instead of free feeding? Weirdly enough, my budgies don't really like the millet bars. Are those the millets everyone keeps talking about?

Also, how big does a room do I need for it to be safe for flight? I saw some youtubers with rooms no bigger than mine

I actually got them from kijiji...

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I got it! Would it also be a good idea to give them food according to mealtime instead of free feeding? Weirdly enough, my budgies don't really like the millet bars. Are those the millets everyone keeps talking about?

Also, how big does a room do I need for it to be safe for flight? I saw some youtubers with rooms no bigger than mine

I actually got them from kijiji...
My birds don't really like the bars either. The millet people are talking about is called spray millet;

The whole thing is way too much for one budgie and it should be used as a treat or training tool, not a meal supplement. You can hold the stick end and offer them the seeds.

I like leaving food for my birds 24/7. Birds have a very high metabolism and need to eat fairly often. But, you CAN give them fresh fruits and vegetables at mealtimes.

I got most of my birds there, too, and a lot of the birds you get on Kijiji aren't in the best condition or can come from abusive situations.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Those are what I get. Best millet sprays are California Golden. I don't care for the millet sprays in a pet store. Its a treat, not a regular food.

As for routines my two budgies get a dish of fresh chopped veggies every morning after exercise. When a bird needs to learn flight I take them to the bathroom. Cover the mirror, sink and toilet lid down. Do this a few times a day for one week and it should work.

I keep a bowl of Goldenfeast blend mixed with their pellets in cage for free feeding. Gets freshened ln every morning with new seed. I also make birdie bread they adore. Sometimes half a hard boiled egg finely chopped. I hang wet greens from cage top with bag clips.

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Those are what I get. Best millet sprays are California Golden. I don't care for the millet sprays in a pet store. Its a treat, not a regular food.

As for routines my two budgies get a dish of fresh chopped veggies every morning after exercise. When a bird needs to learn flight I take them to the bathroom. Cover the mirror, sink and toilet lid down. Do this a few times a day for one week and it should work.

I keep a bowl of Goldenfeast blend mixed with their pellets in cage for free feeding. Gets freshened ln every morning with new seed. I also make birdie bread they adore. Sometimes half a hard boiled egg finely chopped. I hang wet greens from cage top with bag clips.
Thanks for all the tips! My budgies actually hate fruits and veggies! I tried watermelon, orange and romaine lettuce, in one piece or chopped up, but they barely touched any of those... The previous owner fed them shanghai bok choi and said they liked those. I don't know if they are still nervous about the new environment but they are eating seeds fine...

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Unequal canoe; I'm having a hard time getting the budgie I recently acquired to eat veggies or fruit. My Linnie loves it .

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The method I used to get my budgies eating veggies is the following:

Consistency - every morning I chopped a few veggies (3 or 4) and put them in a shallow dish which fits on top of the seed bowl. I sprinkled them with a generous amount of loose millet seeds. For the first two weeks all they ate were the seeds. Eventually, being consistent, they began to eat some of the veggies. Its the consistency of every morning and the seeds that helped.

Timing - I first let them out of the cage in the morning to get some flying exercise and get them hungry. While they were out of the cage I first cleaned the cage from the overnight and put in fresh food and water. I also placed the veggie dish in the cage. When they returned to the cage that was the only food they saw because the veggie dish was covering the freshened seed bowl.

Another great way to get them to eat veggies is to make birdie bread. I buy a mix sold on Amazon and add more veggies to it. Then freeze portions or small squares for future feedings. My birds absolutely adore birdie bread.
Generally budgies do not eat fruit.

Don't give up.

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
The method I used to get my budgies eating veggies is the following:

Consistency - every morning I chopped a few veggies (3 or 4) and put them in a shallow dish which fits on top of the seed bowl. I sprinkled them with a generous amount of loose millet seeds. For the first two weeks all they ate were the seeds. Eventually, being consistent, they began to eat some of the veggies. Its the consistency of every morning and the seeds that helped.

Timing - I first let them out of the cage in the morning to get some flying exercise and get them hungry. While they were out of the cage I first cleaned the cage from the overnight and put in fresh food and water. I also placed the veggie dish in the cage. When they returned to the cage that was the only food they saw because the veggie dish was covering the freshened seed bowl.

Another great way to get them to eat veggies is to make birdie bread. I buy a mix sold on Amazon and add more veggies to it. Then freeze portions or small squares for future feedings. My birds absolutely adore birdie bread.
Generally budgies do not eat fruit.

Don't give up.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that out!

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
My birds don't really like the bars either. The millet people are talking about is called spray millet;

The whole thing is way too much for one budgie and it should be used as a treat or training tool, not a meal supplement. You can hold the stick end and offer them the seeds.

I like leaving food for my birds 24/7. Birds have a very high metabolism and need to eat fairly often. But, you CAN give them fresh fruits and vegetables at mealtimes.

I got most of my birds there, too, and a lot of the birds you get on Kijiji aren't in the best condition or can come from abusive situations.
I got the spray millet today, but it seems that they are not huge fans of it. They still eat it, but if I put that next to regular food, they would prefer the food.