• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male budgies fighting

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys, I got my budgies several days ago and probably made a mistake on buying two young males. One is 1 year old and another one is 3-month old. They used to live together with several other budgies and according to their previous owner, they were fine together. So now they are alone with me and would fight for about an hour every afternoon, with some loud screaming and violent flying-around. They do get along well at other time of the day though. There's no real damage done as far as I can tell, except for a few fallen feathers. Is this something I should worry about? Would introducing a female help or make things worse? I could also have two more females, but I afraid the cage, which is 45 * 34 * 92 cm, would not be big enough for 4 birds. Thanks a lot for your answers!!!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Introducing a female or more than one female could make things way worse, as there's no guarantee that the female/s would get along with your males. I'd just separate them if I were you.

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Introducing a female or more than one female could make things way worse, as there's no guarantee that the female/s would get along with your males. I'd just separate them if I were you.
So you would suggest getting a new cage and separate them? I'm worried what if they got lonely then... (Yes I do worry a lot lol) I mean whey they are not fighting, they would still stand right next to each other and seem really sweet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How big is the cage and do they have multiple food and water bowls?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Are there enough food and water bowls, enough perches etc.

Separate them and let the younger one grow up a little, adult birds are different to babies.

No more birds, that will cause stress and then you may also have problems with breeding.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
So you would suggest getting a new cage and separate them? I'm worried what if they got lonely then... (Yes I do worry a lot lol) I mean whey they are not fighting, they would still stand right next to each other and seem really sweet
That's what I would suggest, yes. Do you ever let your birds outside of their cages? They can possibly still interact while out of their cages. This could also be temporary. Depending on where you live, it might be breeding season and they may only need a temporary separation period.

There's no guarantee that this will work, but you could also try to give them two of everything. Two food dishes, two water dishes, two cuttlebones, ect. They may be fighting over resources. Covering their cages earlier at night mayyyyyyyyy also help, but again, there's no telling if it will help or not. Budgies need 10+ hours of rest a night.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Since you have only had them a few days I would also cover the back and side of the cage to make them feel safer.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is quite a small cage for two birds. . Even though they are small, they have wingspans of about 11.5" or 29 cm. For ONE bird your cage should be at least 45 to 60 cm wide, and 30 cm deep. So for two you really need a larger cage, especially after you account for how much space toys, perches, and bowls take up. Birds use horizontal space much more than vertical, so the height isn't nearly as important as the width and depth. Ever been in a long car ride with someone you can't stand? It's kinda like that :lol:

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
That's what I would suggest, yes. Do you ever let your birds outside of their cages? They can possibly still interact while out of their cages. This could also be temporary. Depending on where you live, it might be breeding season and they may only need a temporary separation period.

There's no guarantee that this will work, but you could also try to give them two of everything. Two food dishes, two water dishes, two cuttlebones, ect. They may be fighting over resources. Covering their cages earlier at night mayyyyyyyyy also help, but again, there's no telling if it will help or not. Budgies need 10+ hours of rest a night.
They actually never fight when one of them is eating. In fact, they often eat together! I live in Canada and it's still around 0 degrees outside. They have only been here for 3 days. I opened the cage door on the first day, the older one flew out but kept flying into the walls. I guess they don't know the place well enough so I decided to wait another week.

Covering the cage is actually another of my questions. They are terrified simply seeing me walking towards them with a huge (from their point of view of course) towel. I heard that you can give them night light, but what's the point of covering if there's more light source then...

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Since you have only had them a few days I would also cover the back and side of the cage to make them feel safer.
The back and side of the cage is actually against the walls so I guess they are fine in this perspective?

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
That is quite a small cage for two birds. . Even though they are small, they have wingspans of about 11.5" or 29 cm. For ONE bird your cage should be at least 45 to 60 cm wide, and 30 cm deep. So for two you really need a larger cage, especially after you account for how much space toys, perches, and bowls take up. Birds use horizontal space much more than vertical, so the height isn't nearly as important as the width and depth. Ever been in a long car ride with someone you can't stand? It's kinda like that :lol:
I see. The seller told me that the cage is even big enough for four birds :banghead:
Well i'll definitely let them fly around the apartment for longer time as long as they can navigate fine!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
They actually never fight when one of them is eating. In fact, they often eat together! I live in Canada and it's still around 0 degrees outside. They have only been here for 3 days. I opened the cage door on the first day, the older one flew out but kept flying into the walls. I guess they don't know the place well enough so I decided to wait another week.

Covering the cage is actually another of my questions. They are terrified simply seeing me walking towards them with a huge (from their point of view of course) towel. I heard that you can give them night light, but what's the point of covering if there's more light source then...
Ah, then it's likely breeding time. My lovebirds are going a little crazy. I'm in the same country and despite the cold, one of my girls is sitting on eggs.

Not all birds need nightlights. Covering basically helps keep them warm and feeling safe during the night. Shadows can be very scary and can startle them during the night, leading to what is known as night frights. They might not be used to being covered. Approach them slowly, talk softly to them to avoid scaring them, and they'll eventually get used to it.

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Ah, then it's likely breeding time. My lovebirds are going a little crazy. I'm in the same country and despite the cold, one of my girls is sitting on eggs.

Not all birds need nightlights. Covering basically helps keep them warm and feeling safe during the night. Shadows can be very scary and can startle them during the night, leading to what is known as night frights. They might not be used to being covered. Approach them slowly, talk softly to them to avoid scaring them, and they'll eventually get used to it.
So if I do approach slowly and talk softly, which I already did last night, but they keep screaming and flying around, do you think I should still keep them covered and wait until they get used to it?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
So if I do approach slowly and talk softly, which I already did last night, but they keep screaming and flying around, do you think I should still keep them covered and wait until they get used to it?
Personally? Yes, I think it would be for the better. Ciri, Geralt and Triss were entirely unused to being covered. All three of them were understandably apprehensive the first night, but quickly got used to it after a night or two. Geralt and Ciri were completely untamed as well, and Ciri was much older than your two boys when I got her.

If they're screaming and flying around, you're taking it too quickly. Are you holding up the blanket when approaching, or holding it low? Ciri didn't like it when she felt as though I was approaching her to catch her (IE: Holding it in both hands and holding it higher than waist height, until I was close and ready to cover her up).

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
Personally? Yes, I think it would be for the better. Ciri, Geralt and Triss were entirely unused to being covered. All three of them were understandably apprehensive the first night, but quickly got used to it after a night or two. Geralt and Ciri were completely untamed as well, and Ciri was much older than your two boys when I got her.

If they're screaming and flying around, you're taking it too quickly. Are you holding up the blanket when approaching, or holding it low? Ciri didn't like it when she felt as though I was approaching her to catch her (IE: Holding it in both hands and holding it higher than waist height, until I was close and ready to cover her up).
Oh I didn't really pay attention to that yesterday! Just to clarify, you mean that I should hold it higher, not that this is what caused Ciri (nice name btw~) to feel insecure, right?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oh I didn't really pay attention to that yesterday! Just to clarify, you mean that I should hold it higher, not that this is what caused Ciri (nice name btw~) to feel insecure, right?
I held it lower, in one hand. Just like a kid carrying a blanket around. Sorry if I'm not making too much sense, I'm a bit sick and a little out of it due to meds. A lot of pet stores and breeders go at budgies holding blankets or towels up high, so I found it best to approach her in a relaxed manner with the blanket held low until I got close, then slowly slid it over her cage, leaving the side she liked sleeping on until last.

unequalcanoe

Meeting neighbors
I held it lower, in one hand. Just like a kid carrying a blanket around. Sorry if I'm not making too much sense, I'm a bit sick and a little out of it due to meds. A lot of pet stores and breeders go at budgies holding blankets or towels up high, so I found it best to approach her in a relaxed manner with the blanket held low until I got close, then slowly slid it over her cage, leaving the side she liked sleeping on until last.
I did what you said and they were much less scared! Thanks a lot for that advice! I can tell they are still confused and trying to figure out why it suddenly turned dark, but hopefully they will get used to that, get a good night's sleep and be less cranky tomorrow lol

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most birds thrive on routines . Try and establish a few. Important that they get 12 hours of quality sleep. That means no human noises like music or TV. Are flight feathers cut? Before they fly make sure a small room is safe for flight. Exercise will help calm them both down. Adding more birds at this point is like adding fuel to the fire. Millet is a big treat you can give once in a while held in your hand.

Why did the breeder sell you two budgies with such a gap in age?