• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making a corn bread mix for skylar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
What do you put in your corn bread mix for your birds

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I usually add some frozen veggies, and some seed, I add the egg and the shell and sometimes I will sprinkle it with some chili powder or cinnamon.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
ok so do you put it before you make it. And do you feed it everyday. or just as a treat I am trying to get his vegys together in one thing is the corn bread mix ideal

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
ok so do you put it before you make it. And do you feed it everyday. or just as a treat I am trying to get his vegys together in one thing is the corn bread mix ideal
No, I probably give them muffins a couple of times a week. I use the teeny tiny muffin tins and after I make them I put 4 or 5 into a zip lock baggie and I freeze them and just pull them out as I need them. I use cornbread muffin mix by jiffy and so I don't want to give it every single day. I just mix in the mix, the water, the egg with the shell and then whatever veggies I am going to add and some scoops of seed then I put it in the pans. Usually I sprinkle a little more seeds on top and then put some chili powder or cinnamon then bake them.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
why do you add seed i add pellets but id not add seed thought seed wasnt a good diet i also add flex
seed vegies hot spice and use diffrent flours

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I put about everything I have in the house that is good/not harmful to the birds. I cook it in a 9"x13" pan and cut into 4" squares to freeze. It isn't a science project - just don't put stuff not good for them in it. And I hope you aren't using the cornbread mixes - way too much sugar and salt in them.
ML

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I put about everything I have in the house that is good/not harmful to the birds. I cook it in a 9"x13" pan and cut into 4" squares to freeze. It isn't a science project - just don't put stuff not good for them in it. And I hope you aren't using the cornbread mixes - way too much sugar and salt in them.
ML
i use corn meal brown rye and 2 other flours 6 eggs with shells veg frozen fresh add apple chopped fine any leaftovers i have,,lol flex seed and chi something pellets as he dosent eat them so this way he gets some

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Mine is different every time I make it:) I throw applesauce in there, veggies, pellets, a little bit of seed, dried fruits..whatever I have at the moment that's bird friendly. I also bake it in muffin tins and freeze.

Jadesmom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mary Ann
My last batch I added a can of pumpkin, no sugar or salt added. They loved it. I usually throw in 1/2 bag of pellets. And any and every veggie i have. 3 eggs with shells. Unsweetened applesauce. Be creative. Mine is slightly different every time.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Could anyone give me a recipe for home made corn bread. This will be a part of his everyday diet. Tell he learn to eat vegys

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Jiffy is safe to use for birds?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't like to use the Jiffy and similar mixes, but many, many people do use it and I don't see birds dying in the streets. The reason I don't use it is there is too much sugar and salt.

Making cornbread is super easy. When you buy corn meal there will be a recipe on the package. Just "sort of " follow it and eliminate the oil (I use RPO instead) and get creative with what you put in it. For moisture I use orange juice or cranberry juice.

Bird bread is a staple for H&J because I can sneak in things that they should eat, but won't eat, into it.
ML

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I have never made birdie bread for Squeeky but he does he fruits, veggies, eggs, grains etc. I am going to look into corn meal.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
thanks for all the great ideas. I will be making him a another one tomorrow.

Hopefully he will take to it

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
why do you add seed i add pellets but id not add seed thought seed wasnt a good diet i also add flex
seed vegies hot spice and use diffrent flours

I give my birds seed. It's a very small amount of their diet but they are offered it everyday in addition to pellets and fresh food. Seed is ok it's just not good as a whole diet. I don't give seed other than sunflower seeds for training to my foster amazon.:p

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Jiffy is safe to use for birds?
I do use the Jiffy cornbread mix. There is some sugar and salt in it but it is not their main diet, they get it a couple of times a week broken up with their veggies, so personally, i am fine with it. My birds diet is pellets, seed, and fresh food daily. That little amount of jiffy muffin mix isn't going to hurt them.:rolleyes:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I use the Jiffy mix, too. The bread I bake is not their main diet and they do not get it every day..it's more like a treat. If I were going to incorporate bird bread as a main part of the diet, I would make something completely from scratch.

But, using the Jiffy and adding healthy stuff can be a great way to get some veggies into a bird that won't eat it otherwise.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks Dawn and Vicki :)

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
I am going to try to make it from sctatch we will see how it turns out. Hopefully he will eat it.

I am going to stuff it full of vegys fruits and seeds and pellet to try to get him on something besides seed thats all he will touch right now

Status
Not open for further replies.