• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw owners who work full time

Saram2

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Cortes
Hi there, do any Greenwing macaw or other macaw owners work a schedule like M-F 9-5 and have a single macaw with some other pets like a dog
How do your macaws do?
I used to foster macaws in the past and never adopted them for long hours reason but I work 9-5 now. I want to adopt one a friend of a friend is rehoming.

Are your macaws okay with this schedule ?
Do they scream more when your gone?
Also does anyone have a Greenwing that isn’t a screamer? The last one I fostered was not a screamer and only talked and screamed only once in a while but my mom used to be home a lot back then.

Pls post your experiences and if your birds are adopted or been with you since babies
Thanks!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I had two GW macaws. The male, Hank, died 8 years ago. Hank would notify the entire area when the sun came up and sun went down. Between those two times he was very nearly silent - except he talked and chatted all of the time he wasn't napping. Jasper is so quiet that I have to go check on her now and them - she has a full blown GW voice, but rarely use it.

Every parrot is an individual. Birds do a napping while their owner is at work - it is no problem and most of the owners on this forum work regular jobs. Parrots are very flexible.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
If you fear they will feel lonely, leave the radio on :) find some channel that has lots of chatter between the music. The constant stream of new sounds may give them something to focus on.

I do this when i go to work, but i dont have Macaws though.

Saram2

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Cortes
I had two GW macaws. The male, Hank, died 8 years ago. Hank would notify the entire area when the sun came up and sun went down. Between those two times he was very nearly silent - except he talked and chatted all of the time he wasn't napping. Jasper is so quiet that I have to go check on her now and them - she has a full blown GW voice, but rarely use it.

Every parrot is an individual. Birds do a napping while their owner is at work - it is no problem and most of the owners on this forum work regular jobs. Parrots are very flexible.
If you fear they will feel lonely, leave the radio on :) find some channel that has lots of chatter between the music. The constant stream of new sounds may give them something to focus on.

I do this when i go to work, but i dont have Macaws though.
Thank you for your input!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yep, Greenwing, 20 years old. Home by himself all day while I work.
He sleeps, or chews up his toys.
No problems, he's out once I get home, and very active.
Give your baby lots of stuff to do, and then spend time with him when you're home.
I think the majority of bird owners work.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My green wing is as quiet as can be. Very seldom does he ever scream.

I work during the day. I don’t have 9-5 hours, but close. I get up early so I can spend at least 3 hours with him before work and I am with him in the evening for another 3-4 hours before his bedtime. I am with him while he eats breakfast and dinner. I watch him on camera while I am gone, he eats, plays, preens and naps. All the same things he would do if I was in the home all day.

Saram2

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Cortes
My green wing is as quiet as can be. Very seldom does he ever scream.

I work during the day. I don’t have 9-5 hours, but close. I get up early so I can spend at least 3 hours with him before work and I am with him in the evening for another 3-4 hours before his bedtime. I am with him while he eats breakfast and dinner. I watch him on camera while I am gone, he eats, plays, preens and naps. All the same things he would do if I was in the home all day.
How old is your baby and have you had him since a baby or did you adopt him? thanks for your input !

Saram2

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Cortes
Yep, Greenwing, 20 years old. Home by himself all day while I work.
He sleeps, or chews up his toys.
No problems, he's out once I get home, and very active.
Give your baby lots of stuff to do, and then spend time with him when you're home.
I think the majority of bird owners work.
Have you had him since a baby or is he a rescue? Does he get super loud when your in another room/asleep or go to work?
thank you for your input by the way:) I would really like to adopt an older bird

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is your baby and have you had him since a baby or did you adopt him? thanks for your input !
He's 32. I have had him for 15 years.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Okay, all the kids are sleeping and I think I'm just down to household chores. :laugh:

I have two flocks. One set at work and one set at home. Depending on the time of year I'm 10-4pm 6 days a week. From Jan-April I'm only 3 days a week.
Both flocks have to deal with my hours and they change. One thing they do rely on is a routine. Not so much hours/days but what happens when I'm there and what happens when I'm not there. If I am home or at work they know they are coming out. Both my crazy flocks are fabulous all being out together and they are a very tight bonded flock.

I have cameras on both sets 24 hours a day and you know... they yell way more when I am home then when I'm gone. LOL

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Have you had him since a baby or is he a rescue? Does he get super loud when your in another room/asleep or go to work?
thank you for your input by the way:) I would really like to adopt an older bird
Had Chaos since he was 5 weeks old.
Not noisy except here and there for yelling moments.
Then he's loud! ;)
Never at night when I sleep.
Not when I'm gone.
Only if he's feeling in the mood.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have a flock of macaws and an Amazon parrot I am a high school teacher and used to be a varsity volleyball coach as well, so depending on the time of year, I was gone up to 13 hours per day, 6 days a week My birds' only constants are meals, toys, and love Having a flock makes a big difference My birds have each other, even though they are not the same species

Saram2

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Cortes
I have a flock of macaws and an Amazon parrot I am a high school teacher and used to be a varsity volleyball coach as well, so depending on the time of year, I was gone up to 13 hours per day, 6 days a week My birds' only constants are meals, toys, and love Having a flock makes a big difference My birds have each other, even though they are not the same species
Yes that is a good point and idea. I might need to adopt 2 birds. And handle them daily to encourage to stay tame . I wouldn’t want to be alone all day either but figured that my dog being home and walking around cage would be somewhat “company” for a single bird even if they don’t speak the same language hah

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Be careful with that. I knew a Blue Crown conure whose tail was ripped out by a small dog.
Another that lost toes to a dog, the dog grabbed the foot as the bird clung to the bars.
I've heard of a macaws legs being pulled off.
Caged doesn't always mean safe.
Separate rooms mean safe.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Separate rooms mean safe
I would agree; having a predator walking around the cage is not company for a bird.

Predators kept out of the bird space is best.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Saram2
Read this please - predators should never be near birds. Your dog is a predator to your bird. Not comfort in any way.

Saram2

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Cortes
@Saram2
Read this please - predators should never be near birds. Your dog is a predator to your bird. Not comfort in any way.

I understand did not plan on having them in area for access to each other.