• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Check-In

dbrat368

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diana
One B&G here Named Mac :heart: He is my babycakes.. Hoping to add a Greenwing to my feathered family :heart:

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
image.jpg
I adopted him about 5 months ago, now. He was in a rescue for a month prior to our bringing him home and before that he with the same human for 22 years after she left her spouse and Ari, Ari began to pluck due to being left alone for over 70 hrs a week.

Ari was completely bare on his breast, belly, back, and legs when I adopted him. I've used 100% aloe on him at least once a week! taking time to rub him to ensure the aloe helps his skin with hopes it would help him and, possibly, encourage new plumage growth. As, I hope, you can see, it has. Literally, each day I can see new feathers poking through and Ari is no longer plucking.

Ari's siblings will be posted in the regular pet section soon. ;)

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Kirby - Harlequin. He's my male model - not the brightest bulb on the tree, but he's VERY handsome, dontcha think? He'll be 13 in August, 2014. He's still Momma's baby though. Just ask him.

Kirby in harness 05-02.jpg

Then there is Rocky, GW. He's a rehome - probably around 50.

Rocky 12-07.JPG

And Chico, who will be 18 in Jully. He's been with us about 12 years (this month!).

Chico - look at all this stuff 04-03.jpg

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
Absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait until all Ari's feathers grow back in so he looks like Rocky. We adopted Ari in August and he's a trip. He's mischievous, funny, loving, and has adapted far more quickly than I expected. Our Ari is 22. I'm curious as to how long you've had Rocky and how he's adjusting. We've been working with Ari and know it will take a lot of patience and time to get him to, possibly, be less aggressive towards my husband and daughter. So far, so good. We've had some great days and then some, ummm, less than great days with his acceptance. However, everything is going in the right directon. We see progress every day.

You've some beautiful macaws. You should be very proud.

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait until all Ari's feathers grow back in so he looks like Rocky. We adopted Ari in August and he's a trip. He's mischievous, funny, loving, and has adapted far more quickly than I expected. Our Ari is 22. I'm curious as to how long you've had Rocky and how he's adjusting. We've been working with Ari and know it will take a lot of patience and time to get him to, possibly, be less aggressive towards my husband and daughter. So far, so good. We've had some great days and then some, ummm, less than great days with his acceptance. However, everything is going in the right directon. We see progress every day.

You've some beautiful macaws. You should be very proud.
Thanks, I think they are gorgeous. I do love my boys.

Rocky actually pulls off his downies and plucks his legs and under his wings. He also barbers his primary wing feathers a bit. He looks pretty good until he raises his wings. We've had Rocky since December, 2002. He hadn't been handled (willingly) in a while, but took a shine to me right away. Macaws tend to have a thing for me. :shy:

He bit the crap out of hubby the first day he was home. Hubby was trying to pat him. I didn't touch him for a couple of weeks, just talked to him and sang songs. He LOVES singing, even/especially mine. To Rocky, singing is a better reward than any kind of food item. After about a week, I offered my arm for him to step up, and he got nervous. I didn't push, but I offered him my arm every day. After a couple of weeks, he very cautiously stepped onto my arm, making little nervous noises the whole time. I stayed right near the door of his cage, and he got off quickly. It took some time before he was comfortable. Even now, he likes to be carried very close to my body so that he can sort of lean on me. If Jim his around, Rocky gets this really smug "ha-ha" kind of look and snuggles right up to me. :rolleyes:

When we got him, he would constantly bite at his foot and make a nervous awking sound. That has basically stopped over the years. We'd been told he was a chronic screamer, but we had a brief honeymoon period before it started up. If you don't live with a chronic screamer and you think you know what it's like, you don't..... I would say that the screaming decreased as we really worked at ignoring it and being consistent. However, as his relationship with me got stronger, so did with his rage at Jim being allowed to draw breath in our house, the screaming is pretty horrible again. It's really hard, because in order to completely ignore his screaming, we're basically punishing the other 3 birds that live in the room with him. If Jim isn't around, the screaming decreases dramatically. If Rocky lived in an open space with a single person, he would be able to see 'his' person most of the time and would probably not scream at all.

He talks pretty well. He deliberately insults Jim. When Jim walks in, Rocky will say "Shuddup." or "Get away." or "You're a bad broom" (which the worst insult EVER in Rocky's eyes :D ) I get much sweeter stuff. Jim could give him filet mignon, and Rocky won't respond. If I give him fresh water, he says "Mmmmm, that's good!" :laugh: Mostly, he ignores Chico and Kirby annoys him. There's beaking and squawking and tail-pulling, but no real aggression. Kirby thinks they are playing, but Kirby has all the sensitivity of an unmanned Sherman tank, so....

He doesn't like to be patted, even by me. Sometimes he'll let me preen his head feathers, but having a hand around the back of his head makes him nervous. When he wants to hang with me, he'll walk over to me, climb on my foot and up my leg. He'll perch on my leg, my arm, or the arm of the couch. He doesn't want to be patted, he wants to whisper back & forth ("Hi, Are you a good boy? I love you. Gimme a kiss." :heart: ) or sing or get kisses on his face. When he's happy, he makes a high-pitched 'eek' noise. He rarely stays long, he climbs back down and goes back to what he was doing.

He prefers to be on the floor. He's nesty all year-round. He had a brief bro-mance with Chico and they made a lovely mess (I mean nest) under the tv one summer, but that didn't last. He's only bitten me once, and that's because I put my hand between his beak and Jim when he was going after Jim. I don't know a lot about his life before us. I know that he was neglected. Maybe worse, but I don't know that for sure. He gets PO'd and screams if I take his food and water bowls away. If I take the bowl out and replace it immediately, he doesn't scream - just if I walk away without putting something there right away. Does that mean he went without food & water at some point in his life and worries about it? Don't know. However, I also think that he has a high-strung, nervous personality and some of his behavior is just Rocky being Rocky.

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
Ari, too, enjoys music/singing, a lot. He prefers mine but is appreciative of anyone singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep."

I've taken a slightly different tact to the screaming, which occurs when he's in his his cage and doesn't want to be. I walk out of the room and ignore him, and let my husband or daughter enter the room and let him out of his cage, and treat him. He's not rewarded by me, his true "love" and has to accept help from either Jeff or Anna if he wants to get out of his cage. They don't take him out, immediately, but wait until he's quiet for a moment or two and then they offer to take him out. If he steps up appropriately, then he is rewarded with a treat. If he lunges or goes to bite, he is place back into his cage. I remain out of site until he responds as he should and remains calm for a few mins. Then my husband or daughter put him back into his cage and I come in, immediately, and take him out - with no treats.

On occasion, he just has to scream as we won't respond all the time. ;)

We've only had him five months and he used to charge both my husband and daughter with a vengeance. He seldom does it, now. He takes treats, calmly, and even allows both husband and daughter to sit with us as we watch a movie. He even lets them walk behind him in close quarters.

Ari cuddles up close to me and loves kisses, whispers, and scratches. If I reach behind him, he doesn't flinch and I even had to grab him by his neck, once, when he went to charge and he just looked at me and said, "Hey, Baby!" I laughed so hard!

This morning, for the first, and I hope last, time Ari dropped the eff bomb. It was very clear and I completely ignored him. He stared at me with his head cocked sideways, as if he was waiting for me to give him a reaction, but I didn't even look at him. I wanted to laugh, but didn't. ;)

Oh, he loves to give the slimy eyeball. Yuck!

Our other two feather family members, Jackie LSC, and Dai Chi CAG both are unclipped and fly around two rooms of our home and, I think, Ari is a bit jealous of that. Jackie and Dai Chi were buzzing him last night and it was pretty funny. They were getting some exercise and playing and Ari was enjoying some of the interaction. Jackie and Ari are both rather mischievous. Dai Chi had what I call YBS (younger brother syndrome) and can be a brat.

I keep looking at your pics and I'd love to get another. Ugh!