• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lovebird toe necrosis progressing (Sad update #81)

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I did 2 layers, one with vet wrap and another with medical tape, to anchor the foot bandage to his leg. I checked the toes the vet left out for me and both look good. I also made tiny pull tabs that the vet showed me to distract him from pulling off the actual bandage.

Method found in fig. 2 here: External Coaptation in Birds: Bandages and Splints | LafeberVet

I have an appointment to go back tomorrow and have him collared. In the meantime, he is safely caged with vet-wrapped perches and ladders.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's good stuff in that article. Dr. Lafeber does a very good job with information.

PS - I was never able to keep bandages on my Jasper's foot. Whether Dr. put it on or if I did. They are sooooooo persistent.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The good news is that even if he did manage to get the bandage off while I'm at work tomorrow, I strongly believe that he would not pick at the wound. The whole reason he got the stricture is because he was being SO careful with his foot that he never fully shed the dead skin.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ask the vet to show you how to do the bandaging and send you with some extra supplies. Having him collared is a good idea but it's also good to be prepared to redo it on your own. Sounds like you've done a great job for tonight though!

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm probably being terribly annoying with all the questions and updates, but I was reading up on what I would need to do to help Mango adjust to his collar and saw how stressful it could be for him... might it be better to re-anchor his bandage each day as he tears it away from his upper leg?

He hasn't gotten close to messing up the important part of the bandage yet... plus, I can't take anymore time off work at this point to stay home and monitor him all day during a collar adjustment period, so he'd have to be hospitalized for a day or 2.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't get ahead of yourself. Go to the vet and ask these questions and have a discussion. Some birds adjust better to collars than others so it's hard to say what's best from a distance. If I were you, I'd ask the vet to set me up with multiple options I could do at home, including a collar.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Update: the vet took off all the bandages to find that his incessant pulling had caused a blister. She drained it and rebadged him before collaring him with a long e-collar. He stumbled around in the office for about 20 minutes, then we headed home. He chirped on the way and ate as soon as we got in.

He had a quick choking incident as he first learned to eat, but he got some water fast and it cleared. Now he's roosted on a perch for the night. He still is able to reach the tip of his toe, but there are too many layers of tape and gauze for him to do any real damage. Also, he looks like a muppet now: 20191016_185426.jpg

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby. So many adventures for one week.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Gosh, it’s too bad he has had such a hard time of it, but boy does he look adorable! I also can’t believe what a good sport he is with having to wear all that stuff. What a special little guy he is!:heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awww poor Mango! Seeing him like that make me wanna kiss him on top of his little head ❤
Glad you are on top of the treatment and are in close contact with your vet.
Hoping for a good recovery ❤❤

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He has already chewed through the vet tape at the tip of his foot. I added more over the top, but he's picking at it as I type. I don't know what more to do...

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He's not. I asked about it 2 appointments ago and the vet didn't seem to think he needed them. I can call tomorrow and ask again.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just a side note but the guys has been thru enough with his foot...

Cages with those swirls can have tiny spots where a nail can get caught into so they can be dangerous...

Did you see what the foot looks like....Maybe its just best to have no bandage & wash it every day as long as he is not hurting the foot...Its probably like a scab/ bruise as the skin started dying...

May be best to let air at it & sun...wash it & dry it...of course check with the vet but seems to me it might be an option if its not a deep open wound. Thats what they do after surgery & they use surgical glue///no bandage as they get damp & can grow bacteria...Any hope the munchkin will get better soon/

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I can cover the swirls with vet tape for now to keep him from getting stuck in them, though he tends not to climb on the doors.

After debridement, he has very little skin left on some parts of his foot, so the vet covered it in non-toxic antibiotic ointment and wrapped it in 2nd skin to help with healing. It actually needs to stay moist to help with shedding the remaining dead/dying tissue so it doesn't form another stricture. The bandage is definitely necessary.

I'll call in the morning and see if I can pick up pain meds after work tomorrow. I'll be off early because it's a half-day for us.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just talked to the vet. Apparently, the meloxicam he's on doubles as a pain medication and anti-inflammatory. She told me just to keep adding tape over whatever he chews through and make sure he doesn't get through every layer to the 2nd skin.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
jjblegFeb25, 2006.jpg jjbcollar3.jpg jjbmodcollarFeb25, 2006.jpg jjbtowelcollarFeb27, 2006.jpg

When my macaw injured her leg/knee, & then chewed a hole in it, the vet put a acrylic bubble collar on. She got past it & was able to chew some more. Then he put a acrylic T color on, she got past that too & ripped 2 long pieces of skin off her leg. She actually managed to get them apart even tho they had screws holding them together. Both acrylic collars wore sores along the bottom of her neck. Vet didn't take any x-rays & refused to put her on pain meds, even at my request. Long story short we found that a towel/sock collar worked perfect. She could not get her foot high enough or her beak to the injury. I had to help her eat tho, as she couldn't hold food in her foot. My husband cracked nuts for her. I got her to another vet, who took x-rays & put her on pain meds. The vet said that towel/sock collar was the most human she had ever seen.

How to make a towel/sock collar:
You need a white hand towel & a crew sock sized for your bird.

1. Measure your birds neck from bottom to top, stretched out. Also measure around the neck at the widest area.
2. Cut strips of a white hand towel, crosswise, 1 inch wider than the neck measurement. Cut the length 3 inches longer than than measurement.
3. Cut the foot off the sock a little below the elastic cuff. Depending on the species of your bird determines the size of the crew sock you will need. For my macaw one of my husbands (men's size 9-11) was perfect size. Smaller birds would need women's or kids size. It needs to fit over the wrapped towel, be snug, but not be so tight it cuts off the ability to swallow.

Now comes the fun part. Wrap 1 or 2 strips of the towel around the birds neck, overlapping the ends. For my Macaw we had to use 2 strips of towel to keep her from bending her neck far enough for her to reach the injury or for her to raise her foot/leg high enough to get her beak to the injury. One thickness may be enough for a smaller bird. The thickness of the towel keeps them from bending to the injury site. Next turn the sock cuff inside out. Slip it over your hand, then over the birds head. Turn the cuff right side out & down over the towel. Tuck the top & bottom of the cuff over & up under the towel strip.Use your finger or a pencil, eraser end, to push all feathers in the proper position. Test to see if it's too tight by slipping your thumb directly under the center of the top of the crop. If your thumb slides in easy then it should be OK. Offer some food & see if the bird has trouble swallowing. They can not eat normal with this on, as it prevents them from bending to reach their feet, so you may have to help by hand feeding, cracking nuts, etc. until your bird is healed. My macaw wore her collar for 10 weeks.

Will try to post photos....Leg injury. Bubble collar with tape. T-Collar. Towel/Sock Collar.

Last edited:

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Aww, I'm glad you found something that worked well for your Macaw! Mango has pipe insulation foam taped around his neck. It seems comfortable enough. I check his bandages after I got off work today and he hasn't made any progress in the one I put on. I applied the vet tape a bit loose over his bandages from the vet and I think the elasticity is making it hard for him to rip it, so he's mostly given up.

He seems more upbeat today. He's playing and singing more than he has been recently.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
View attachment 317607 View attachment 317608 View attachment 317609 View attachment 317610

When my macaw injured her leg/knee, & then chewed a hole in it, the vet put a acrylic bubble collar on. She got past it & was able to chew some more. Then he put a acrylic T color on, she got past that too & ripped 2 long pieces of skin off her leg. She actually managed to get them apart even tho they had screws holding them together. Both acrylic collars wore sores along the bottom of her neck. Vet didn't take any x-rays & refused to put her on pain meds, even at my request. Long story short we found that a towel/sock collar worked perfect. She could not get her foot high enough or her beak to the injury. I had to help her eat tho, as she couldn't hold food in her foot. My husband cracked nuts for her. I got her to another vet, who took x-rays & put her on pain meds. The vet said that towel/sock collar was the most human she had ever seen.

How to make a towel/sock collar:
You need a white hand towel & a crew sock sized for your bird.

1. Measure your birds neck from bottom to top, stretched out. Also measure around the neck at the widest area.
2. Cut strips of a white hand towel, crosswise, 1 inch wider than the neck measurement. Cut the length 3 inches longer than than measurement.
3. Cut the foot off the sock a little below the elastic cuff. Depending on the species of your bird determines the size of the crew sock you will need. For my macaw one of my husbands (men's size 9-11) was perfect size. Smaller birds would need women's or kids size. It needs to fit over the wrapped towel, be snug, but not be so tight it cuts off the ability to swallow.

Now comes the fun part. Wrap 1 or 2 strips of the towel around the birds neck, overlapping the ends. For my Macaw we had to use 2 strips of towel to keep her from bending her neck far enough for her to reach the injury or for her to raise her foot/leg high enough to get her beak to the injury. One thickness may be enough for a smaller bird. The thickness of the towel keeps them from bending to the injury site. Next turn the sock cuff inside out. Slip it over your hand, then over the birds head. Turn the cuff right side out & down over the towel. Tuck the top & bottom of the cuff over & up under the towel strip.Use your finger or a pencil, eraser end, to push all feathers in the proper position. Test to see if it's too tight by slipping your thumb directly under the center of the top of the crop. If your thumb slides in easy then it should be OK. Offer some food & see if the bird has trouble swallowing. They can not eat normal with this on, as it prevents them from bending to reach their feet, so you may have to help by hand feeding, cracking nuts, etc. until your bird is healed. My macaw wore her collar for 10 weeks.

Will try to post photos....Leg injury. Bubble collar with tape. T-Collar. Towel/Sock Collar.

:omg::faint: For a moment I thought Mango :faint:became the colossal Love Bird...Hope he is doing ok...Whatever needs to be done and it will be great for him to keep his foot...