• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird taming!

Sebyalex

Checking out the neighborhood
I have 2 lovebirds, one smarter and one let's just say, less smart, i got them on the 8th of march and they are such a joy, but they are really scared still! They let me approach their cage with my face as much as i want, but if they see my fingies, they will get agitated and start running around and screeching in their cage, they have escaped sometimes and we had to catch and put them in which i felt bad for. I've been letting them in their cage, talking to them and etc, but they are deadly scared of my hands, one time i managed to get one of them under a blanket after they evaded and interacted with him under the blanket, he seemed to have fun, eat from my hand, get rubs on his head and etc, but as soon as i took the blanket off he ran as fast as he could ( i did not leave him out of air, i let a big gap in for air so he wouldn't run out of air ), tips on how to tame them? Forgot to mention they are also a bond as they spend time togheter and cuddle, no guides helped me, i couldn't hand feed them in their cage, i couldn't give them treats or anything, they just run away.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Here is a thread that I created that might help :)

Sebyalex

Here is a thread that I created that might help :)
Not so helpfull, had them for 1 month and i tried all of these, getting them on my finger, hand feeding them, letting them free once in a while, i'm still yet to do activities with them but none of it is working, can't touch, can't feed, can t pet can't nothing!, feels like i got them yestdrday

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Not so helpfull, had them for 1 month and i tried all of these, getting them on my finger, hand feeding them, letting them free once in a while, i'm still yet to do activities with them but none of it is working, can't touch, can't feed, can t pet can't nothing!, feels like i got them yestdrday
You just need to be consistent, have you tried moving them to a place where quietly work? You can feed treats from a distance, using long piece of milit or even putting it on a clip. One month is not enough time for a lot of skittish birds to not be timid.

Sebyalex

You just need to be consistent, have you tried moving them to a place where quietly work? You can feed treats from a distance, using long piece of milit or even putting it on a clip. One month is not enough time for a lot of skittish birds to not be timid.
Yeah i got them next to my desk right now and i'll get them some millet

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Agree with FeatheredM's advice.

if they see my fingies, they will get agitated and start running around and screeching in their cage...
Don't show them your hands/fingers yet if it has such an adversive effect. Do everything you can to keep their body language as relaxed as possible. When cleaning them out, move slowly without eye contact. Maybe even sing or whistle softly whilst doing so since predators are silent.

... they have escaped sometimes and we had to catch and put them in which i felt bad for...
The trouble is when you have to catch them, your hands become paired with more aversives.

See if you can instead gradually pair your hands with good things like long pieces of millet (so they don't have to get too close) or even securing other foods like apple slices between the bars of their cage, if they like apple. Once you get them used to eating larger items, you can gradually get slower at securing these items so that they start eating when you are still fixing them in place. Then you can gradually make these items smaller so that they begin to get closer to your fingers. Then begin to offer these things through the open cage door (no bars). There is no rush - going slower will gain their trust. Watch their body language for clues.