• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird - frequent regurgitation

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I'm concerned about my male lovebird, Harry (will be 1 year in March) as he's been regurgitating very very frequently lately.

It started about a month ago and I wasn't concerned at first because he started doing it as he "humped" his cuddle hut so I assumed it was just sexual/affectionate. It then progressed to his mirror toy and now it's pretty much everywhere, including bottom of the cage.

I can't pin down on whether his head bobs or shakes because as he's doing it he is moving around in general, often making clicking sounds. The food does not look fully digested (seeds are visible).

His behavior did not change otherwise, he eats well, is very active/alert and poop looks normal.

It so happens that I took him to the vet for runny poop just before I noticed this (days) and the vet said he looked healthy plus did a poop test which was normal. The poop issues resolved. He likely started regurgitating before the vet because I saw some food bits on top of his hut but I thought he just brought food over to eat it there as that's his favorite spot. Only a day or two after the vet I actually saw him bring up food while doing his "dance" with the hut.

Any experience with this or advice? Take him back to the vet? If so, what tests should I ask for?

Thanks!
Kristina

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did the vet you took him too do a gram stain of crop and poop? This is important to give your bird a clean bill of health along with some blood work. Is your bird making movements with his beak opening and closing as if to try and swallow something?

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Did the vet you took him too do a gram stain of crop and poop? This is important to give your bird a clean bill of health along with some blood work. Is your bird making movements with his beak opening and closing as if to try and swallow something?
Gram strain of poop only. Blood work was done last about 5 months ago. She did not really feel he was ill at all, because the poop did not look too bad to her (plus there was a change in pellets) and she said he was super alert and active. So she said she'd rather do less and wait and see before doing blood work or anything else. Does he do movements with his beak -generally no. While hes bring food up - yes, he opens his beak and kind of does and up and down movement with head a little (not a tremendous amount)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any way I would do some reading about Avian Gastric Disease just so you know what to look for and educate yourself. Mostly the budgies are they ones that have yeast. If you see vomiting on a daily basis I would have a gram stain of the crop done.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you track his weight? If he's behaviorally normal and not losing weight, the first thing I'd try is some behavioral hormone reduction strategies.

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Any way I would do some reading about Avian Gastric Disease just so you know what to look for and educate yourself. Mostly the budgies are they ones that have yeast. If you see vomiting on a daily basis I would have a gram stain of the crop done.
I will look that up, thank you.

It's more than on daily basis, its several times a day. Though I've read that it can be normal if its a sexual behavior. I suppose I'm confused what's considered vomiting and regurgitation, I understand that is not the same.

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Do you track his weight? If he's behaviorally normal and not losing weight, the first thing I'd try is some behavioral hormone reduction strategies.
Weight is consistent so far, yes.

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Is he also turning in circles and scratching at his beak while he makes these sounds?
I'm not sure if he's turning in circles per say, but kind of - yes. He sort of seems to be more excited than distressed, but as an inexperienced bird owner, I could be completely misreading it.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I'm not sure if he's turning in circles per say, but kind of - yes. He sort of seems to be more excited than distressed, but as an inexperienced bird owner, I could be completely misreading it.
Honestly, to me it sounds like it's hormones and he's courting his cuddle hut.

My male lovebird was frequently hormonal and would do a lot of click-click-click while scratching at his face, turning circles, and bobbing his head. He only actually regurgitated when he was feeding another bird, but it sounds like your boy is single? Not unheard of for birds to regurgitate all over their toys and cage. :wtf: We had a few birds at my old work who would do it regularly.

Here are some videos I found of lovebird courtship dances. Look familiar?

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Honestly, to me it sounds like it's hormones and he's courting his cuddle hut.

My male lovebird was frequently hormonal and would do a lot of click-click-click while scratching at his face, turning circles, and bobbing his head. He only actually regurgitated when he was feeding another bird, but it sounds like your boy is single? Not unheard of for birds to regurgitate all over their toys and cage. :wtf: We had a few birds at my old work who would do it regularly.

Here are some videos I found of lovebird courtship dances. Look familiar?
yep, that looks very familiar!

and yes, hes a single bird which I'm now reconsidering.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Take the cuddle hut and mirror out.

Plus cuddle/happy huts are death traps. Many birds have died from them. Don’t ever use them.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will remove. I'm just wondering what happens with the huts? Any safe alternative you could suggest?
I’m glad to hear that! They are killed by ingesting the material or getting tangled in the thread. As a safe substitute you could use seagrass mats and link them together, but they really don’t need a nesty type place.