• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

love bird hatchlings got pecked

jish0093

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joshua Aquilina
Hi,

My love birds hatched an egg 5/6 days ago and today I noticed it was crying and went to check on it and saw it bleeding. It was perfectly fine a few minutes ago. It’s been an hour or two and the baby is still alive and back in the box with the mother.

do you think it will survive the wound? and should I take it out and hand feed? im very worried as this is my first hatchling and really want it to survive

I messaged the Vet for opinion but he hasn’t confirmed what to do. Thanks in advance!

AE2F0EEA-E2F5-41D0-A5C4-921E6D1500F3.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you know who bit the chick? Was it mum or dad? If you know which parent, you can remove that one parent. If you don't know, best to move the chick to the brooder.
No second chances for stuff like this because the next time it could be fatal.

edit; Be sure to feed him, crop is empty

Reactions: tka

jish0093

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joshua Aquilina
Do you know who bit the chick? Was it mum or dad? If you know which parent, you can remove that one parent. If you don't know, best to move the chick to the brooder.
No second chances for stuff like this because the next time it could be fatal.

edit; Be sure to feed him, crop is empty
hey, thank you for your reply! it was definitely the mother. The baby was under her when it happened.

Do you have a guide on how to feed the baby as I have never done it. i’m also worried because Im going to be away this Friday to Sunday as I have a wedding abroad

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Given the age of the chick, you can't leave him alone. He needs care around the clock.
You will have to try and work something out. But leaving the chick with the hen is very risky after she's bitten him so hard. It would not be something I even consider.
Maybe you could relinquish the chick with your avian vet? Or find someone knowledgeable nearby who can take him? Maybe ask your vet if they can reach out to some of their clients who would know how to care for a chick and help rehome him? Remember, local breeders may be hesitant to accept an outsider chick for health reasons, same with other bird owners.

Reactions: tka